Plowing with an ATV

/ Plowing with an ATV #1  

chado613

Bronze Member
Tractor
IH 624, IH B414, Kubota RTV 900, Kubota M7060
Apologies if this topic has been discussed, (I did peek and couldnt find anything) but what is the best way in your experience in plowing a large rectangularish area with an ATV?

I am also finding that once the snow has gotten so deep that my ATV is useless for plowing as it cant push the snow over the large banks anymore?

Thanks in advance from a rookie

/ Plowing with an ATV #2  
Apologies if this topic has been discussed, (I did peek and couldnt find anything) but what is the best way in your experience in plowing a large rectangularish area with an ATV?

I am also finding that once the snow has gotten so deep that my ATV is useless for plowing as it cant push the snow over the large banks anymore?

Thanks in advance from a rookie

=================================================================================

No need to apologize my friend.

You are simply referring to what is called the
traction adhesion algebra problem.

You have a small vehicle with a plow and your vehicle has only so much weight to
provide you with traction and adhesion to push snow.

The point where the snow mass is greater in weight than the ATV has the ability to
overcome it with horsepower, torque, traction and adhesion to push the snow back is
the stalling point where the moving mass being your ATV and the plow can no longer
overcome the resistance of the snows weight which is why you cannot push the snow
banks back

SO:

Adding weight with windshield washer fluid in the tires will help along with adding
snow chains to the point where you can no longer push.

Putting a pair of pneumatic caster tires on the plow will also reduce the resistance and aid
in plowing too.

I have WWF and chains on my JDLA115 garden tractor and it was worthless with just
the chains and 2 suitcase weights without the windshield washer fluid.

IF your ATV is low horsepower or not 4WD I would just fill the rears and add chains to the rear wheels and perhaps a couple of bags of sand on the rear if you have a carry rack.

If you can afford chains buy them and add WWF to the tires as we still have lots of winter left.

The simple tire filling fill/air vent valves are not expensive from Gemplers. I used piece of garden hose and a funnel to fill my rear tires. I only wish I had 4 wheel drive.

/ Plowing with an ATV
Thanks for the info. I have actually never heard of anyone filling the tires with WWF. Simple yet effective

/ Plowing with an ATV #4  
A well equipped ATV can push a fair amount of snow, however as explained above its limited by its lack of weight and available traction. Filling the tries, adding chains, having 4wd, and pushing back as far as possible from the start of snow season is a must for a successful and stress free season,,,,, or having access to a beast of a machine to bail you out when necessary. Remember most ATVs weight less than 1K lbs so basically your using a larger GT so your only going to be able to displace so much.

/ Plowing with an ATV
I have a Yamaha kodiak 400 w 4x4, I suppose that could be described as a mid range. But good point on pushing back as far as possible at the beggining

/ Plowing with an ATV #6  
Yes it is a must if all you have is a blade, an ATV just doesn't have the weight/traction to displace 3' tall frozen snow banks. That 400 with 4wd is plenty big enough for removal of moderate amounts of snow as said its not really the engine displacement as you have plenty of power just no weight/traction. I have been plowing most of the season with an old GT and did not push back enough in some spots and we have had more than usual drifting so I am pretty much not able to remove the snow and will need to fire up a big boy and remedy that.

/ Plowing with an ATV #7  
An ATV is a good tool to use;I plowed with one for quite a while.I now have a 7000lb.4wd tractor with an 8ft.plow and I "still" can run out of traction and power if the banks get high enough.

/ Plowing with an ATV #8  
With a 6 inch powdery, snowfall the ATV ( I have a Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI with a Warn plow) does fine and is the quickest way for me to plow my 600 ft gravel driveway...However, if the snow is wet and heavy the ATV struggles and gets pushed around...I can still use it but the better option with the heavy stuff is my Honda tracked snow blower...

/ Plowing with an ATV #9  
An ATV is a good tool to use;I plowed with one for quite a while.I now have a 7000lb.4wd tractor with an 8ft.plow and I "still" can run out of traction and power if the banks get high enough.

It is also soooo much fun. At least for me.

I only have a Honda Recon 250 with a 48 inch blade. But, I also only have a 200 yard driveway to plow. Given the snow we get here it is more than good enough --- and a blast to play with in the snow.

MoKelly

/ Plowing with an ATV
I usually have fun as well unless I am in a hurry and something breaks !!!!:smiley_aafz: