Best money the wife ever let me spend.......

/ Best money the wife ever let me spend....... #11  
Congratulations .

/ Best money the wife ever let me spend....... #12  
"Snowblow down to the outhouse"?! :eek: ...and you're worried about having heat in the cab??? :)

/ Best money the wife ever let me spend.......
I am going to show my ignorance here. Other than not having to look backward and being in a cab - what is so much better about the Steiner set-up? Also you said it takes about 1/3 the time but the old snow blower is much wider wasn't it? Can you explain the real advantages?
That's not ignorance, that's a good question. First let me correct my first post - the machine is a 430 max, not a 440. That being said, there are several factors that contribute to the differences between the Ford/Meteor and the Steiner. The Ford is all gear with a live PTO, which works well but makes finding a suitable gear to match the conditions difficult at best - you spend a lot of time on the clutch. Both machines are rated at 27 hp but the Steiner with the hydro will take a full cut at a decent ground speed whereas the Ford labors, and again you are on and off the clutch. The Steiner is far more maneuverable than the Ford so much less time is spent putting yourself where you want to be. Looking forward is not to be discounted either - looking backwards over your shoulder while keeping your foot at the clutch is no fun. I would say that overall both machines will do the job well but the Steiner is just a more balanced, efficient machine, at least for blowing snow. I wouldn't want to have to do serious dirt work with the Steiner, the Ford is much better suited for that so the both have their place.
Again, thanks for the kind words, Rick

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 182
   / Best money the wife ever let me spend....... #14  
Nothing like having the right tool for the job.

Let me give another example of a smaller machine working faster than a larger machine..
I had a gear drive Long 2360 36 horsepower UT with a 6 foot finish mower. I swapped for a CUT in the form of a New Holland TC33DA. Hydro machine. with Supersteer.

The mowing took 7 hours with the Long, and 5 hours with the New Holland with a foot narrower mower. The difference was the ability to turn sharper, and always have the maximum ground speed needed for the conditions and load on the smaller mower. It was just a bunch more maneuverable and faster overall. No messing around between 2 gear ranges with an 8x2 transmission. One always being two slow and the other too fast. With the hydro, just put it in MED range and stomp the pedal. Set the cruise control on the long stretches.

/ Best money the wife ever let me spend....... #15  
I definitely understand the hydrostat advantage for any PTO work but still 1/3 seems to be a lot. I also understand the maneuverability of the Steiner. But the blower on the Ford appears to be about 6' whereas it is probably a 48" on the Steiner - that is a lot of difference for a long run like the driveway. I am sure up around the house it is much faster getting all the corners cleaned out - maybe that makes up for it. Maybe he used the walk behind to get to the outhouse before and now he can drive there - that's probably it!

/ Best money the wife ever let me spend....... #16  
Nice looking Steiner linrick1. I 100% agree with you on the front blower verses the rear 3pt. I debated for several years getting one for my 790 but the thought of looking backwards while going up and down hills turned me away. Then last year the snow got bad enough I called the dealer and they said they could get me one right away and the rest is history. By the way your Steiner will do quite well with a front blade also. Not sure if you have one already.

Attachments

• P2120517.jpg
    P2120517.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 165
  • P2120508.jpg
    P2120508.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 136
   / Best money the wife ever let me spend....... #17  
Congrats on the unit.
Now that snow removal is fun and not work. Has your wife told you to go "push play" and move some snow.
When I upgraded it didn't cut my seat time down but with the new "play button" more area was opened.:D

Al

/ Best money the wife ever let me spend.......
That's a fine looking rig you have there Double Deere. From looking at your pictures I can see quite a few differences between your machine and my older 430, the snow blowers look to be quite different. Good call on the blower for your Steiner, much more productive and comfortable than a 3 point for your 790. If at all possible I highly recommend obtaining a cab for your Steiner, you will not regret it.
Al, you hit the nail right on the head - while it takes me far less time to maintain what I generally have to keep clear you are absolutely right, add in the fun factor and I find myself clearing **** near the whole yard. Again the cab makes all the difference, being able to work in whatever weather and finish as dry as when I started makes it much easier for me to keep our driveway and road cleared no matter what time of day or night. I run a fleet of plow trucks, sanders and heavy equipment removing snow in the Worcester Mass. area so I am never able to plow my house with a storm. I have to take care of my place when I return home from work, generally at some ridiculous hour and I am far more inclined to want to do it knowing I'll at least be moderately comfortable........thanks again for the kind words, Rick

Attachments

• 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 98