buy a winch and snow plow for my ATV or buy a hydraulic front blade for my BX?

/ buy a winch and snow plow for my ATV or buy a hydraulic front blade for my BX? #1  

firemailwv

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I am planning to put a blade on either my Honda Foreman 450 or my Kubota BX25D before next winter. I felt a little foolish this year in the driveway with a shovel when I have both sitting in my garage. I was planning originally to buy the set up for the ATV, but then the more I thought about it, I am now considering a blade for the tractor instead. I see pros and cons to both. The only real pro I can think of ATV is the fact that it will be just over half as expensive. The con is having to manually adjust the angle of the blade and lack of weight in both the blade and the ATV in general. The pro of the blade on the Kubota is having the hydraulic lift and angle. Also, it can be effectively used to spread material such as fill dirt or gravel. Also the weight of the blade is about 300 pounds (according to my dealer) and the weight of the tractor would make that set up more effective pushing snow. The only con I think of is the initial purchase cost.

I can get the whole setup on my ATV for about 7-800 dollars. The setup for the tractor will be about $2000.

I'm looking for real world experience and some good advice.

Let's hear it.....

/ buy a winch and snow plow for my ATV or buy a hydraulic front blade for my BX? #2  
I have very little experience, but my advice is always good, even if I just made stuff up, but I am cheap. I also don't know your snow conditions. But I'd be inclined to get the blade for the ATV. It's faster, for one thing, but you can't let the snow get too deep. But if you don't let it get over , say, 6", the ATV should handle it just fine. Then if need be, you can always clean up/push back the banks with the FEL (you do have an FEL?). If you have a heated cab on the Kubota, get the blade for it. If your conditions are more like Boston's, forget the blade and get a blower. :)

/ buy a winch and snow plow for my ATV or buy a hydraulic front blade for my BX? #3  
I have never plowed with an ATV or with a frame mounted plow on a BX. I think the BX is more suited to the job since it is a tractor. I'm not sure how well an atv will hold up plowing snow. The turning radius on most ATVs is horrible. Maneuverability is important while plowing snow. The BX will also be easier to change direction of travel. On the ATV you will have to switch from forward to reverse.

There are also 2 other options. A rear blade for the BX and loader mounted blade for the BX. The disadvantage to a rear blade is if the snow gets deep you going to have to go backwards which is slow and hard on the neck. I'm usually against loader mounted blades but since the BX is light I think one will work pretty good. The BX will work best with the frame mounted plow because you can drive forward with it all the time and it sits closest to the tractor so the snow will not have the leverage to push the tractor around.

If you are going to use the BX as your primary snow mover I would get a set of chains for it. They will really come in handy if you get some ice. Chains for the BX are around $100 at tirechain.com.

Here is a video of me plowing with a rear blade on the BX.

Kubota BX2360 Plowing Snow: http://youtu.be/fG9E9zYvq_Q

/ buy a winch and snow plow for my ATV or buy a hydraulic front blade for my BX? #4  
In my opinion as a former owner of an ATV with plow, they're pretty much worthless if you have more than a few inches of fluff. Not sure of how your winters are, but I think I'd be spending the money on a blade for the BX. That way you know that you're better prepared for deeper or heavier snows.

/ buy a winch and snow plow for my ATV or buy a hydraulic front blade for my BX? #5  
I use to have a forman atv that I plowed snow with before getting my tractor. If you get on it right away it does OK, I have plowed up to a 12" snow fall, the lighter stuff not the heavy heart attack snow. I did have chains on the rear. If you don't get on the snow and it sits to form the "crust" on it you will have problems. I use to live in the city and had a lake place, I would bring my wheeler up there in the winter to move the snow, almost an impossible task as it had a couple different layers of the hard pack from the sun hitting the snow and then a light snow again.

As already stated it really depends on your snow conditions and if you are there to remove the snow once it falls.

/ buy a winch and snow plow for my ATV or buy a hydraulic front blade for my BX? #6  
I used a Polaris ATV, which did work well as long as the snow wasn't too heavy or deep. In that case, you really want to be plowing in shifts throughout the storm. Then a few years back I got the blade set up for my BX with the hyd angle. For me, there is really no comparison - the BX setup is that much better.

Maybe if your drive is real long, and wouldn't require much mauvering and not much blade angle change, then the ATV may be as fast or faster. Otherwise, the constant stopping, buzz the winch button, shift, reposition (with aweful turning radius) - get off, turn the blade the other way... it really is not very efficient at all. Though I don't know I'd ever have realized just how much difference had I never got the blade.

With the BX setup now, I spend probably only a third of the time plowing. Also, I can handle much heavier snow and snow depth. I'm very happy to have made the change. The only thing better would be the front blower.

/ buy a winch and snow plow for my ATV or buy a hydraulic front blade for my BX? #7  
Put the money towards the BX setup, it's better spent there.

/ buy a winch and snow plow for my ATV or buy a hydraulic front blade for my BX? #8  
With snow plowing weight is your friend so the BX is the winner here.I have and use both( a little larger tractor) and they have their places.The BX snow plow with hydraulics will also be a lot easier to use than the manual angle and lift of the ATV.
Chain up the BX and have at it.

/ buy a winch and snow plow for my ATV or buy a hydraulic front blade for my BX? #9  
I've plowed with a UTV (Gator) and a tractor. Still have the plow on the Gator, in fact.

Both work good, but watch hitting frozen slush with the UTV!

So, considering your choices, I'd go with the plow on the tractor.

/ buy a winch and snow plow for my ATV or buy a hydraulic front blade for my BX? #10  
By the way, don't overlook getting a rear blade for your BX. That's what I use for clearing snow, and it does a very good job. I do most clearing with the blade pulling snow forward, but in some spots I rotate it 180 degrees and push snow rearward. Very capable, and not expensive at all. Rear blades for a BX start as low as $250 for a basic blade from TSC (fine for just doing snow), but you can look into something heavier/stouter if any serious dirt work is planned. To me, a rear blade on a BX is still better than using an ATV, and the cost is inline or less.