Pronovost P680 Snowblower PTO coupler

/ Pronovost P680 Snowblower PTO coupler #1  

keegs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5640SUD
Having trouble making connection to the PTO with this coupler. Might be a quick coupler type?? It lines up with the splines and slides on about 1" but doesn't lock on and there's no spline pin. The coupler has an outer spring sleeve that slides back. Have no idea how or whether this fits.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

/ Pronovost P680 Snowblower PTO coupler #2  
Is this your first time connecting the pto to this tractor? If it is not then it's possible that the quick connect has ice or damage preventing the lock from working.
It may be time to disassemble quick coupling for cleaning and grease.

/ Pronovost P680 Snowblower PTO coupler
Is this your first time connecting the pto to this tractor? If it is not then it's possible that the quick connect has ice or damage preventing the lock from working.
It may be time to disassemble quick coupling for cleaning and grease.

Thanks Winmac.

Yes it is. It doesn't look like it can be taken apart ..and if it can be I don't know how... would soaking it in penetrating oil (like Marvel Mystery Oil) do the trick????

/ Pronovost P680 Snowblower PTO coupler #4  
Since it's the first time hooking up I'd look closely at the tractor pto spline for damage a nick or burr might be all that's stoping it from engaging.
Soaking the coupling cannot hurt, inside the coupling there are small balls that lock the onto the pto shaft groove, when you pull back the Collar it releases the balls.

Be aware that In some rare cases the grove cut on the pto shaft dose not match up to the ball diameters in the coupling.

/ Pronovost P680 Snowblower PTO coupler #5  
I used to have lots of trouble connecting hydraulic quick couplers as well as my PTO shafts.
For the couplers I used a plumber's torch and sprayed with WD-40,
For my PTO's I resort to liberal WD-40 spraying to clean and lubricate*. Works for me.
Naturally assuming no actual damage.

*I actually flush all the crap away all while lubricating. Maybe pricy pressure cleaning but only a can per year and easier than spraying and hooking up a compressor. LOL.

Thanks guys... I'm going to try WD40 then and monkey around with the sleeve to see how/whether they affect the seating of the balls inside the coupler. I just took the sicklebar mower off and didn't see any signs of spline damage. The shaft is well greased but I'll apply some more as well as on the coupler.

They call this a fast coupler ..do they? :)

/ Pronovost P680 Snowblower PTO coupler #7  
The problem is likely with the snowblower coupler. By looking in the end of it you should be able to see if the locking pin moves far enough out of the spline to allow it to slide past. I've had trouble with a couple the first few times I used them, not twisting or pulling far enough to get the splines all open. Turned out to be my user error more than anything.

/ Pronovost P680 Snowblower PTO coupler #8  
Any grease is a dirt and dust magnet.

Bagging the coupler in aplastic bag with rubber bands when unused reduces the
amount of dirt that can collect to almost zero.

Use Fluid film if you can get it or isopropyl alcohol also works well.
Old grease will hold more dirt and pack it in = yuck!!!

A very small wire brush or boiler brush and hydrogen peroxide helps too.

You have lots of fine dust in there packed in around the balls.

If worse comes to worse, you can wash it with kerosene or gasoline to flush it out.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's up with this quick shaft coupler. It's been soaking in penetrating oil for over a month and I still can't get the balls to slip over the shaft. I've tried pushing on the balls with a screwdriver to see if I can get them to recess but they aint going in. They roll fine and the release mechanism on the coupler seems to be ok. Everything seems to move freely.

Is this thing toast? Arggggg....

/ Pronovost P680 Snowblower PTO coupler #10  
I'm not sure what's up with this quick shaft coupler.
It's been soaking in penetrating oil for over a month and I still can't get the
balls to slip over the shaft.

I've tried pushing on the balls with a screwdriver to see if I can get them to recess
but they aint going in. They roll fine and the release mechanism on the coupler seems
to be ok. Everything seems to move freely.

Is this thing toast? Arggggg....

Hello Keegs,

No its not toast

First try to find a repair shop with an ultrasonic parts cleaner to clean it
and the dirt will fall off.

Failing that, soak it in kerosene or ask a garage that you do business with
if you can use their parts washer.