Right Tractor for 80" Pronovost Inv Snowblower in the mountains?

/ Right Tractor for 80" Pronovost Inv Snowblower in the mountains? #1  

LTG33

Tractor
none
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to buy a 90-105HP 4X4 tractor for pulling an 80" Pronovost inverted snowblower in a couple Rockie Mountain communities. Being the mountains, there tends to be relatively steep inclines and declines (at least relative to normal farm lands).

Are there any special considerations (transmission, wheel base, front weights, something i dont even know to ask..) i should be making given the terrain in which the tractor will be operating? Are there certain brands, models or features that would be better suited for handling mountain terrain over others?
I am pretty sure i have the needed HP correct but not sure on much else.
I am looking to spend a max of $50K for a tractor that can handle the terrain in which it will be operating and that can go a minimum of 20 mhp on the road (preferably 25). Thank you for any input.

/ Right Tractor for 80" Pronovost Inv Snowblower in the mountains? #2  
Oops double post

Last edited:
   / Right Tractor for 80" Pronovost Inv Snowblower in the mountains? #3  
The tractor hp seems high for the size of blower but I think most modern tractors in that range will do what you want.
You mention hilly Conditions so you'll want good brakes preferably ones that will engage 4wd for all wheel braking, tractor snow tires are starting to become popular might be something to consider if your roading a lot and cannot run chains.
Hydraulic shuttle with a power shift trans is a must have as well as a hydraulic pto clutch, standard stuff on modern 100hp class.
Adding weight up front is a good idea to offset the blower if your not going to have a loader or plow up front.

/ Right Tractor for 80" Pronovost Inv Snowblower in the mountains?
Winmac, thanks for the reply and good info. It will be almost 100% roading. Many of the used tractors im seeing in my price range have front weights already, while not as many (and usually with a lot more hours) have front loaders. Front loader would be a nice-to-have but im thinking more important is reliability, speed, and after you mentioned it, 4 wheel brakes. I was already planning on Hydraulic shuttle with a power shift trans but wanted to make sure that would suffice given all of the roading time and steeper than usual inclines and declines (mountain roads).

A question on the hp I mentioned being too much. I was under the impression that to consistently handle going 20-25mph, have a cab with some climate control and carry the blower around, I would need higher HP. Is that not true?
Thanks again.

/ Right Tractor for 80" Pronovost Inv Snowblower in the mountains? #5  
No that's true.
when I said that I was thinking of power required to run the blower, 80" is small for a tractor that size, it would barely clear the wheel track.

/ Right Tractor for 80" Pronovost Inv Snowblower in the mountains? #6  
I have a kubota m7060 with a 86" conventional blower. Has no problem to run it and had a road speed of 25mph with a 12×12 hydraulic shuttle transmission. 90hp for a 80" would be major overkill.

I have a kubota m7060 with a 86" conventional blower. Has no problem to run it and had a road speed of 25mph with a 12ラ12 hydraulic shuttle transmission. 90hp for a 80" would be major overkill.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Thats a nice tractor for the right price. It seems light to me; specs for it show 5380lbs w/cab. On tractordata.com, they show the JD 5085E (which seems to be a similar tractor to yours) around 7450lbs. Lighter is obviously much better for shipping but other than speed is there an advantage/disadvantage to a heavier/lighter tractor? For instance on steeper than usual driveways?

Also, I was under the impression getting over 20 wouldnt be possible with that HP, especially with a blower attached? Guess if its around a ton lighter than a JD model with the same HP it'll go faster. And this tractor gives you full functionality and power on the blower? Thanks again.

/ Right Tractor for 80" Pronovost Inv Snowblower in the mountains? #8  
You wont be able to do 20MPH while blowing, but otherwise, any of those should be able to 20MPH with the blower on. Our Kubota L3830 will do 18MPH (governed top speed) with that much weight behind it and it doesn't really have to even work at it.

Aaron Z

I guess the JD 5075M might be a better comparison. What Tractordata is showing for that ill call it an average of 6900 lbs - the range they show is 6100 lbs to 7800. 1500 LB difference from the Kubota m7060

You wont be able to do 20MPH while blowing

Aaron Z

Not looking for that speed while blowing. Just while going from point a to b on mostly hilly roads.