newbie snow removal advice needed

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #11  
If you get a decent base and on frozen ground the rear blower will be fine . It is a little hard on the neck and back but if that isn't an issue , you should do just fine . I adjust my blower up an inch or two at the beginning of the winter and then go over it with the rear blade on the back of mine , it works out quite well for me.

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #12  
I do similar to what HEC describes for early season snow. My drive is 70-80% gravel, and i do tend to pick up some rocks here and there. For my first few storms i'll lower the skid shoes a little bit and/or angle the blower down using the top link.... this seems to keep the "cutting" edge up just enough that I leave the stones behind. Once you get a little snow packed down it's really not an issue for the rest of the year.

If you're Max is HST, you'll find you can sit sideways in the saddle and operate the HST treadle with the left foot. Worked well for me... and saved my neck some strain.

-J

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #13  
Looks like we are in the same neck of the woods. Another strong vote for the rear mount blower. My driveway is all gravel (800 feet) and as long as you use the shoes to keep the blower up for the first snow, it works fine. Thereafter the snow usually packs well and then it is just like blowing a paved driveway. There are several manufacturers that are really great quality. I bought a Pronovost and have been very happy with it. I still maintain the use of the FEL which is a HUGE advantage. Sure a front mount would be more convenient but the significant cost increase and the loss of the FEL made my decision for me.

Here are a few pics... Good luck!

Attachments

• photo (10).jpg
    photo (10).jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 133
  • photo (19).jpg
    photo (19).jpg
    923.6 KB · Views: 161
  • photo (9).jpg
    photo (9).jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 157
  • photo (18).jpg
    photo (18).jpg
    750.7 KB · Views: 146
  • photo (8).jpg
    photo (8).jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 146
   / newbie snow removal advice needed
Thanks again for all the opinions. The Mahindra dealer I bought my tractor from has new 54" Ber Vac Blizzards with manual chutes for $2800, another local tractor store can get either a 51" Landpride or 54" Woods for $2900. Another Mahindra dealer about 45 minutes from my house has a 2011 54" Ber Vac Blizzard supposedly used only once for $2300 (they sold it new in '11 and took it in on trade in January '15). The used blower has a 30-day after first snow fall warranty while the three new ones come with a 1 year warranty. Wondering what your thoughts are? I obviously would love to save $400-500 but I'm hesitant about buying something that's 4+ years old by the time I get to use it for the first time.

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #15  
spend you money wisely and buy a new Pronovost or an Allied/Farm king
as the last thing you need is to be trapped by a huge snowfall with a
broken snow blower. The Pronovost units are built in Quebec where they
get plenty of snow.

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #16  
I would check the used one out very closely in regard to condition. If it has been stored outside for over 4 years that would be a factor for me and I would question the "only used once" explanation. When I was looking used, I found that these units do not stay around long as people scoop them up quick. That is the main reason I bought new, plus I got a great deal. I did a quick search on CL for you and found nothing locally that you could consider. If it were me, unless they came down to at least 2k on the price, I would be considering new. As was already mentioned, you might want to at least check out the Pronovost and Farm King line. These were the two that I narrowed my search down to before I bought mine. That is not to say that the other brands are not decent units, I was just very impressed with the reputation and construction of the Pronovost units.

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #17  
This past Winter was the first season for the used Pronovost Puma 64 I bought in the heat of Summer 2014. It was in good mechanical shape but needed paint. I used Pittsburgh AUE300 and it held up very well. The only area that didn't was part of the inside of the blower. Small stones can be more than a little bit abrasive.

While I had it in the shop, I added an electric seat motor for rotation and a small linear actuator for UP/DOWN of the discharge chute. The FEL and rear blower combo worked well. I also made a pair of extensions for the FEL bucket that made it into a fairly effective pusher. The extensions sandwich onto the side of the bucket and are effectively held in place with one bolt each.

Here's a short video of the chute operation and pics of the blower disassembled & then installed. Also a shot of the bucket extensions.

http://vid1295.photobucket.com/albums/b628/jim_miller7/Chute Video_zpskmfbsmu0.mp4

Attachments

• Box Bucket Cropped.jpg
    Box Bucket Cropped.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Blower Left Side.jpg
    Blower Left Side.jpg
    824.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Apart.jpg
    Apart.jpg
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 132
   / newbie snow removal advice needed #18  
Whatever you get make sure it is wider than your tractor, you mention a few blowers and all were different widths. Saving a few hundred and getting a blower that is not wide enough is going to cause you lots of heartache.

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #19  
If I was looking for another 3pt blower I would buy a used one again. I looked for about 5 months till I drove by one for sale on someones front yard last July. They are out there but you have to always be looking and patient. You could save yourself a lot of money. 3pt blowers are pretty simple and durable machines with few parts,drive shaft, chain, auger, impeller, gearbox. Most units will rust away before any of these parts fail. Also, used blowers typically have low hours on them since they are only used after a significant snowfall. Maintaining 2 properties, both with 200' drives and parking for 8 vehicles, I only put 6hrs. on my blower last winter. Anything under 5" I plow with my garden tractor and blow back the banks with the 3pt the next big storm. The 62" Schulte blower I purchased is 3" narrower than my rear tire track and this concerned me the rest of the 2014 summer until the first snow. I could see the advantage of the wider blower letting me get closer to objects, but I personally don't have any conditions where this is very important. After the first pass, subsequent passes are about 3/4 the width of the blower to prevent wind rowing. When buying the blower of your choice I would make sure that you get at least a 22" fan with 20" being the very, very minimum. Also a chain driven auger.
This is the 1995 Schulte 6200 I picked up last summer for $1,000. Good luck hunting.

image-4258484761.jpg

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #20  
I bought a 6-year old blower, never used.
When I asked my dealer's service guy if I should be concerned, he laughed.

Honestly though, I'd get a front mount and a rear blade. And tire chains.

Snowblower Photos by aeblank | Photobucket