newbie snow removal advice needed

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #1  

hickorychickens

Tractor
Mahindra Max25
Hello, this is my first post. I'm Eric and live in Northeastern, CT. I'm looking for advice on snow removal. I have a 1/2 mile long dirt driveway that I currently clear using my Mahindra Max25 with a front-mounted plow. My issue is that about 75% of the driveway sites in a trench that is about 1-3 feet below grade on both sides. Furthermore, the driveway is about 'wide. There is no option to widen it further. My Mahindra can push the snow to the sides of the driveway fine, but since it doesn't throw the snow up onto the bank, I soon run out of room. This past winter was very nerve racking when trying to come up with places to move the snow to keep my driveway passable.

I was thinking about getting an additional tractor with just a loader to move the snow piles at the sides of the driveway to other parts of my property as needed (I have 30 acres). I was looking at the Ford 8N since it is 1) inexpensive when compared to other tractors in my area, 2) has a shorter wheelbase that I should be able to maneuver in the tighter areas of the driveway, 3) could serve other purposes during the summer months. My concern is will it have the power to accomplish this or, more simply, is there a pitfall to this plan.

Other worthwhile information: I'd like to spend no more than $3,000; although I have a FEL for my Mahindra, swapping it out mid winter with the plow would be a major PITA and I don't have the garage space to make it happen; anything much bigger than the 8N I just don't see maneuvering well for my situation (I think a Ford 815 could work but something like a JD 3010 is far too big ?. I use these as examples just because I've looked at these that are for sale in my area); a tractor-mounted snowblower might be an option but my concern is we occasionally get heavy wet snow in this area and the driveway has many small rocks that destroyed shear pins and impellers on my push snowblower this year (Mahindra only has a front-mounted snowblower for my model and once again trading this out with my plow as needed isn't an option); a pickup with a plow would also be an option and then I would keep the FEL on the Mahindra for the season.

Your thoughts/advice/concerns/ideas are all appreciated.
Thanks.
Eric

Last edited:
   / newbie snow removal advice needed #2  
Have you thought about a SSQA for your Mahindra tractor? I have a 72" HD bucket that I can swap in about 3 minutes for my 84" HLA angled snow plow or forks, with the SSQA it's a breeze to do.
DevilDog

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #3  
for three thousand dollars, why don't you obtain a rear snow blower and go along the driveway throwing the snow back. I'm right up the street from you with similar problems however I push the snow off into large piles along the fields that border our long driveway

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #4  
for three thousand dollars, why don't you obtain a rear snow blower and go along the driveway throwing the snow back. I'm right up the street from you with similar problems however I push the snow off into large piles along the fields that border our long driveway

^ +1 About what lamarbur said.
Get a rear mount snow blower for getting the snow up & out of the trenches.
Rear mount blowers are a lot heavier built than walk behinds.
Keep the front plow for light snows & for areas where you think there will be too many loose rocks for the blower.
The snow blower will also be good ballast for the plow.

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #5  
If I were you I'd get a new keyboard first

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #6  
Another nudge for the rear blower. I use one on my Max25 and love it. My driveway is roughly 1400ft with a pretty steep incline. I have a Woods SB54 and it doesn't even break a sweat.

I've posted this before, but seems appropriate here as well.... Here is a vid the morning after the recent Blizzard in our area.

-J

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #7  
I did a lot of snow plowing this winter and used a combination of snow blower and snow pusher. I would clean up with the snow pusher and blow everything back with the snow blower. Worked good. I added a back drag to the top of the snow pusher to get the snow away from buildings and knock down large banks at drive way entrances. Makes it easier for the snow blower.
DSC01746.jpg Snow Toys.JPG Tow Hooks.jpg

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #8  
As you can see in the vid... I my FEL stays on while blowing. It's nice to have for cleanup and moving piles when necessary. I was not interested in the front blower or blade as I use my FEL all winter and the thought of swapping back and forth in those temps was dreadful.

Oh, and that blower was far below the 3K you're hoping to spend.

-J

/ newbie snow removal advice needed
Thanks for all the info.
Chuck172 - not sure what all those symbols were about but I corrected it.
Shift 4200 (and everyone else who voted for the rear mounted blower)- that video is awesome, being a newbie I didn't realize I could use non-Mahindra implements, duh. There's a Woods dealer 20 miles from my place, thanks.

/ newbie snow removal advice needed #10  
Hickory,

I'm relatively close to you... I live in western RI about 10m from the CT border. I bought my Max and all of my attachments from Dubay Tractor just over the border in CT. He's right on the RI/CT line just off RT6 on Cucumber Hill Rd. Doesn't seem too far for you, might want to give them a go. Ask for Dale.

Best of luck, and be sure to post pics of whatever you buy!

-J