Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience?

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #1  

TK Steingass

Tractor
None

Hi fellas:

After 157" of snow this past winter, walking behind my Honda 28" snowblower in -20 weather, I've decided I'm getting long in the tooth. I've decided not to get a Toolcat because the more reasonably priced units have too many hours, and it's really too much machine for my 450 feet of driveway. I already have a Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV so I'm considering a skid steer/snowblower for my driveway. The ATV/snowblower setup is just not maneuverable enough to suit me, plus, I want a heated cab. I've looked at the Bobcat 3650 HDPTO Deluxe - it's nice and all, but a skid steer has a higher lift height/capacity, and, like I said before, I already have an ATV.

Since I'm not doing commercial work and busting down huge packed snowdrifts, I'm thinking a smaller skid steer will fill my needs as a residential owner. I've looked at the S70 with a 48" blower, but I think the machine is a little small, even though Bobcat says the machine/blower is compatible as far as system flow rates. Do any of you have experience with the S100/SB150 (48") or S130/SB200 (60") setup with a blower? If so, how do you like it? Love it, hate it, or disappointed?

After looking at the picture of my driveway, would there be any issues going uphill on my asphalt driveway with a skid steer? Seems all the Utube demos show skid steers blowing snow on flat pavement.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #2  

Hi fellas:

After 157" of snow this past winter, walking behind my Honda 28" snowblower in -20 weather, I've decided I'm getting long in the tooth. I've decided not to get a Toolcat because the more reasonably priced units have too many hours, and it's really too much machine for my 450 feet of driveway. I already have a Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV so I'm considering a skid steer/snowblower for my driveway. The ATV/snowblower setup is just not maneuverable enough to suit me, plus, I want a heated cab. I've looked at the Bobcat 3650 HDPTO Deluxe - it's nice and all, but a skid steer has a higher lift height/capacity, and, like I said before, I already have an ATV.

Since I'm not doing commercial work and busting down huge packed snowdrifts, I'm thinking a smaller skid steer will fill my needs as a residential owner. I've looked at the S70 with a 48" blower, but I think the machine is a little small, even though Bobcat says the machine/blower is compatible as far as system flow rates. Do any of you have experience with the S100/SB150 (48") or S130/SB200 (60") setup with a blower? If so, how do you like it? Love it, hate it, or disappointed?

After looking at the picture of my driveway, would there be any issues going uphill on my asphalt driveway with a skid steer? Seems all the Utube demos show skid steers blowing snow on flat pavement.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

==================================================================

Do not waste your money,

If you can, trade your Polaris towards a new 4 wheel drive hydrostatic drive mule and
a rear mount snow caster.

Save your money and buy a 4 new wheel drive mule
like the John Deere 1023E series with a front end loader,
three remotes, rear chains, a 5 foot Pronovost snow caster,
loaded rear tires, and simple all weather cab with heat.

Skid loaders do not float even with tracks and don't believe
anyone that says they do.

The other issue is a hydraulic snow caster is very poor in its efficiency
compared to a rear mount snow caster and if you blow a seal or a hose
in the middle of a snow storm you will not be able to repair it quickly
like you could a shear pin or broken drive chain for the cross auger.

You can and will get stuck with a skid steer loader in snow,
do not ask how I know that.

A small sub compact tractor with a rear mount snow caster will be
better suited for your use.

You have time to shop and look around and order a sub compact tractor
with a cab and rear mount snow caster.

FYI both the front mount snow casters and hydraulic snow casters
are very very expensive to buy, own and operate.

Another option is an ATV mounted snow caster.

BUT with the ATV your going to have issues with low ground clearance.
Uphill traction will be an issue and unless you load the tires with windshield washer
fluid, add sand bags to the back and buy 2 sets of chains for the ATV I do not see
much good with that either only mostly because of the low ground clearance issues

A 1023E cab with a loader, a heater, chains and loaded tires and a rear mount snow caster
will be more cost effective and have more utility as these implements cost less to purchase and have a greater resale value when the time comes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience?
Leon: Thanks for the in-depth response! I looked at the machines you recommended. That rear snowcaster is quite the tool - simply amazing. The problem is arthritis - no way in the world can this old War Horse drive a JD or any tractor twisted backwards. Thanks for you time though - much appreciated.

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #4  
Leon: Thanks for the in-depth response! I looked at the machines you recommended. That rear snowcaster is quite the tool - simply amazing. The problem is arthritis - no way in the world can this old War Horse drive a JD or any tractor twisted backwards. Thanks for you time though - much appreciated.

============================================================================================

As much as I dislike them you can a get a front mount snow caster for
the JD 1023E and the Kubota 2370 as well and a nice all weather cab.

One of the bad things is that the front mounts are horrible with deep snow
because they behave just like the walk behinds and have problems with
deep snow.

Many of the members here simply turn sideways in the seats and are able to
watch the rear as they work clearing snow. the majority of the swivel seats
can replace the standard seats on both brands of mules.

You will definitely need front chains with your purchase as well.

You should also examine purchasing a larger frame size mule/larger power range
in the 50 to 75 horse power bracket as they have the upgraded seats that swivel
and have the comfort cabs.

With the swivel seats and the open station tractors you have plenty of room to turn and
also watch watch whats going on in back with comfort(which is why the swivel seats were designed
for watching corn choppers, hay balers, rakes etc. to reduce neck strain and twisting.

JUST SO YOU KNOW, the front mounts cannot be purchased with "chute extensions" to aid in
casting snow further and to prevent snow blowing back on you.

ALSO I want you to understand that you can purchase a rear mount snow caster and have it mounted in the front
of a four wheel drive tractor that has a mid mount power take off and by purchasing a front mount kit from a
pronovost dealer I believe that there still are two or three Pronovost dealers in Maine so getting set up with a front
mounting kit and one of their snow caster will not be an issue.

For the money spent you will be better off as the front mount system can be left on the mule the year round.

As long as you buy 25 -50 horse power mule with a mid mount PTO you can do this and avoid spending extra money
on a skid steer loader with a hydraulic snow caster .

I want you to succeed and not fail. do not let the dealer talk you into a front mount for the compact utility tractors if you
upgrade to the larger frame size of mule

I will tell you that with all plumbing and controls under the seat and the foot boards of all the skid
steer loaders are something you will not be able to work on and the labor rates are awful.

I will tell you that we have many members that have the smaller 2 wheel drive garden tractors with the front mount snow casters.
but you will need good V bar snow chains and have the rear tires loaded with windshield washer fluid for ballast.

The fabric cabs available for them are not substantial and you cannot get heat in them or wind shield wipers.

Many members use insulated coveralls and motorcyle helmets and yellow lens ski goggles to clear their driveways to prevent glare
during the daylight hours.

I want you to at least read the snow removal forum before you go any further to help you understand this before you make a mistake you will regret as I said many members also have installed the swivel seats in the smaller kubotas and use thier rear mounts with no issues with neck strain and they work in thier short sleeves when clearing snow.

I have to leave the keyboard now but I will be back.

Leonz:

I appreciate your in-depth response. I've looked at the JD with a FEL and Provonost setup. My feeling is that it's the best application for huge snow removal, farm use, etc. I'm not that application - I'm just an old guy in Maine with a 450 ft driveway. No cows, no manure, no hay bales, no hogs to slaughter, no fields to plant, no fields to hedge hog. Heck, I don't even mow my own grass - I pay to have it done because cutting grass is like "little slices of death." I've paid to have my driveway plowed - the guy either doesn't show up or when he does, he can't make it up my driveway and does a crappy job. The next guy complained after one season and declined to keep me as a customer because of the difficulty of my driveway.

I've pretty much decided on a skid steer with a heated cab and 48" front end snowblower, as you can see from my thread title. My only concern was size of the skid steer. I'm gonna blow snow in the winter and put in flower beds in the summer with it, which is something that you can't do with a Ventrac. As far as price is concerned, a small skid steer Bobcat S70 with a heated cab, 48" blower and bucket costs $28,500 = Isn't that about the same as a mid-sized JD with a FEL, heated cab, swivel seat, and rear Provonost?

I did take your advice and read a lot of other postings in the Snow Removal section. One Steiner owner posting stands out to me: "I used a standard open station farm tractor with a loader on front and blower on back for 20 years, having the blower out front is the best move I've ever made. Love the cab, heat, 4x4 and the hydrostatic is the real ticket with a blower. The articulated is very maneuverable, this setup cut my blowing time by 30% over the previous setup."

Again, thanks for your input Sir.

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #6  

Hi fellas:

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Tim whatever you do: not not get a track machine. A friend of mine who knows, tells me that tracts cost as much to maintain as the tracks on D6. Also whatever you do, get hi-flow hydraulics. Consider JCB skid steers too as they have a super easy in and out of a cab situation. The JCB 135 with AUX hydros flows 18.5 gpm. JCB also has larger skid steers too.

Specifications - Small Platform Skid Steer | Small Platform Skid Steer Loader | JCB 135

Here is the 135 at work.

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #7  

/ Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #8  

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Not without chains on each corner! The chains are not pavement friendly at all, esp. on a skid steer!
Depending how "long in the tooth" you are, you might come out ahead hiring it out to a good dependable local contractor that understands exactly what you expect from him in terms of service.
A right sized compact cab tractor with a front blower is a more versatile machine to have around a house over a SS. I plow with a large SS on a few miles of gravel roads on my place, but that's because my tractor does not have a cab!:laughing:

Attachments

• DSCN4105.JPG
    DSCN4105.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 1,321
   / Bobcat Skid Steer S70 or S100 or S130 for Snow Removal - Experience? #9  
The s130. Have been plowing drive almost just like yours with a 7753 for 15 years. Nice heated cab, sits in a heated garage, do it in my PJs. About the first 10 years used the bucket and lugged tires on gravel drive. Then got heavy wet snow about 5 years ago bought the chains, put them on the rear, night and day difference, going to tear things up. Pain to put on and off. Bought a set of turf tires(like snow tires) on rims, don't need the chains and don't tear things up. Same time I bought the chains purchased used blower, for your drive and snow amounts would be the way to go. I have low flow aux hydraulics and it works fine. With your snow amounts high flow aux hydraulics and high flow blower would be nice. I purchased a Bobcat as there dealer network was good, could get road service and could find parts. Year ago I had surgery and could not replace the water pump, during a snow storm they sent there road service guy out to replace it. Now i am rebuilding the control spool, all the hand and bucket controls, they have all the parts, right down to the dust boot and they are all reasonable priced. It is 15 years old and I can sell it for what i paid for it. I am glad I did not get a tractor, the skid loader is small maneuverable cost effective and has an enclosed cab.

Tim whatever you do: not not get a track machine. A friend of mine who knows, tells me that tracts cost as much to maintain as the tracks on D6. Also whatever you do, get hi-flow hydraulics. Consider JCB skid steers too as they have a super easy in and out of a cab situation. The JCB 135 with AUX hydros flows 18.5 gpm. JCB also has larger skid steers too.

Specifications - Small Platform Skid Steer | Small Platform Skid Steer Loader | JCB 135

Here is the 135 at work.

Eric: Thanks for the information - I am going to stay away from the tracks. Input I got from the Bobcat tech rep in Minnesota was that the SS is more maneuverable in the snow without the tracks.

My local Bobcat dealer has a JCB on their lot - I might take a look at it.