Snow removal tractor setup questions.

/ Snow removal tractor setup questions. #21  
What is your opinion of front blades with skid steer attachment? I was thinking manual trip but hard to find anything that is for a tractor. Most are for a skid steer. I've been using a back blade on a L3800 and it's kind of slow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its really a case of how many times you want to go out and plow be it once or twice with a
snow caster or many times with a plow in a storm or heavy wet snowfalls.

The other issue is the snow banks and whether you can push them back now or later.

Its more an issue of pushing the total mass in front of you versus casting it to side or front with a snow caster as the skid steer has to have the weight and tractive force-adhesion to the ground to oush it away as the pile will just grow on you like a skid steer using a pusher blade.

/ Snow removal tractor setup questions. #22  
I also made side extensions that lock on the loader bucket and are each held with one bolt. They make a difference when pushing snow.

Do you have a picture of the extensions?

/ Snow removal tractor setup questions. #23  
What is your opinion of front blades with skid steer attachment? I was thinking manual trip but hard to find anything that is for a tractor. Most are for a skid steer. I've been using a back blade on a L3800 and it's kind of slow.

I welded a quick hitch to a SSQA plate. Took an old lighter truck plow & put a cross bar on the mount point to fit the lift hooks on the QH. A chain goes from the QH top hook to where the winch use to attach. Cost me a bit under $400 to make.

Works pretty well. You have to set the loader arms right & let the floating action take place on the QH lower hooks. The weight on the plow is to much if you float the loader arms. I think its about 7'. Wish mine had hydraulic angle like my back blade, but oh well, it was cheap parts & an easy build. Next one I build will have that if/when I sell this one & build a new one (taking my time looking for the perfect deal on a hydraulic angle blade).

I have a L3200 with loaded R4s, so in the same situation.

It does push the front of the tractor around a bit with a big load of snow. Mostly when turning & not plowing long roads. Really it doesn't push me around that much more than my 6' back blade. Being able to adjust the angle of attack on the blade by tilting the QH & lifting the loader arms is interesting. Not sure how beneficial it is in practice.

Other than a bit of front end push, I didn't have big traction issues. A full blade going uphill with either blade would loose traction. It has never been enough of an issue to bother trying to see if the chains I bought a couple years ago off CL actually fit. The loaded R4s work good enough for me. R1s are probably better, but I like the compromise on the R4s.

I ran with the front & rear blade at the same time a bit this winter. Even without the hydraulic angle I generally used the front plow due to the better visibility over the rear plow.

/ Snow removal tractor setup questions. #24  
   / Snow removal tractor setup questions. #25  
Do you have a picture of the extensions?

They're 10ga with angles stitched on for reinforcement. They attach with one bolt each and a couple sandwiched pieces of 1/4" flatbar. The stepped flatbar creates a pocket that slides over the side edge of the bucket. The location of the bolt forms more or less a triangle between the two ends of the flatbar pockets and the bolt. That locks the extensions into place so they can't move. They have worked well and there's no evidence of damage to anything but the skids.

The bottoms of the extensions have small skids made of light angle iron. After using the extensions this past winter, the skids proved to be the one part that needs attention. The angle iron has worn quite a bit and should be replaced. I'm thinking about trimming the bottom of the extensions an inch or so (forward of the bucket only) before replacing the skids so they only make casual contact with the pavement when I have the bucket tilted a little too forward.

Attachments

• Box Bucket Cropped.jpg
    Box Bucket Cropped.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 171
   / Snow removal tractor setup questions. #26  
That looks simple enough. Thanks for sharing.

I find the bucket to be very useful for cleaning up after the driveway is plowed, except for when the snow dribbles out the side.

/ Snow removal tractor setup questions.
The power for the snowblower arrived today. Blower itself on order. Lovin' the ssqa bucket and forks. Gotta' order chains next.

Attachments

• P1010167 - Copy.JPG
    P1010167 - Copy.JPG
    504.1 KB · Views: 144
  • P1010166 - Copy.JPG
    P1010166 - Copy.JPG
    518.6 KB · Views: 139
  • P1010168 - Copy.JPG
    P1010168 - Copy.JPG
    637.8 KB · Views: 130
   / Snow removal tractor setup questions. #28  
Nice looking tractor.

/ Snow removal tractor setup questions. #29  
Congrats on getting your new tractor home!

/ Snow removal tractor setup questions. #30  
IMHO , snow blowing looking over your shoulder all the time stinks. A front mounted blower is worth every penny spent, cab is a must, and a linear actuater for chute control. No regrets, not looking back ( pun intended)