Snow Attachments V-plow on a JD 1070. Anyone done it? Too big?

/ V-plow on a JD 1070. Anyone done it? Too big? #1  

Jerry1

Bronze Member
A friend of mine gave me the plow side of a year old Boss V-plow after it was involved in a minor accident. The damage is all in the center pin/pivot area. He kept the hydraulics and truck mount.
I have a '94 1070 with 4wd, mmm, FEL and heated cab and I'm thinking the v-plow on my tractor would make a slick rig for our northern Minnesota winters BUT the plow is 9'2" and weighs about 850 lbs. Is this size going to be a benefit or detrement? I'll be plowing about 500' of gravel driveway. My tractor has excellent turf tires on it, but as of now no chains.
I've been looking for a thread here from member zzvyb6 who posted pictures of his mounting a snow blade on a 1070, but I saw them a year ago and now I can't find them. If anyone can help me with that I would appreciate it, especially if zzvyb6 replies to this.
I've got pictures to post but getting this much out is a lot for a computer illiterit old timer like me. I'll tackle attaching pictures tomorrow.

So if anyone has even thought about adapted a big v-plow to their tractor, please let me know your thoughts. Winter isn't that far away and my plow truck is on Craigs list so I need to make some decisions.

Thanks - Jerry

/ V-plow on a JD 1070. Anyone done it? Too big? #2  
I think it's a little oversized, but you may be able to make it work with chains and some rear weight. I plowed 4 winters with a 7.5' straight blade (Meyers plow), with a 40hp Mahindra tractor with industrial tires, no chains but loaded rear tires. The biggest problem I would have is steering, although I would have minor traction problems in heavier snow, and serious traction problems in very heavy snow. This year I upgraded to a tractor that weighs about the same as the Mahindra did, but more horsepower. I plan to chain all 4 tires as well.

I don't know how much snow you get there, that would make a big difference. I live in the eastern Great Lakes region where a 100" season is below average.

/ V-plow on a JD 1070. Anyone done it? Too big? #3  
A friend of mine gave me the plow side of a year old Boss V-plow after it was involved in a minor accident. The damage is all in the center pin/pivot area. He kept the hydraulics and truck mount.
I have a '94 1070 with 4wd, mmm, FEL and heated cab and I'm thinking the v-plow on my tractor would make a slick rig for our northern Minnesota winters BUT the plow is 9'2" and weighs about 850 lbs. Is this size going to be a benefit or detrement? I'll be plowing about 500' of gravel driveway. My tractor has excellent turf tires on it, but as of now no chains.
I've been looking for a thread here from member zzvyb6 who posted pictures of his mounting a snow blade on a 1070, but I saw them a year ago and now I can't find them. If anyone can help me with that I would appreciate it, especially if zzvyb6 replies to this.
I've got pictures to post but getting this much out is a lot for a computer illiterit old timer like me. I'll tackle attaching pictures tomorrow.

So if anyone has even thought about adapted a big v-plow to their tractor, please let me know your thoughts. Winter isn't that far away and my plow truck is on Craigs list so I need to make some decisions.

Thanks - Jerry

I have a 1070 with 440 loader and various attachments. I put a 390 blade on it for winter which itself weighs about 700 or 800 pounds. half of that is probably the undercarriage. I would not mount a plow on the FEL as it would chew up the FEL mounts to the square tubes as it vibrated along a gravel drive. Also if it doesn't trip, which I imagine a V plow might not, and catches something it'll bend the loader. I also have turf tires and had to make up spacers to get enough clearance on the rear wheels for the chains to clear the roll bar. Then had to chase down longer lug bolts of appropriate hardness and keep them torqued. I have ag tires also but decided to go with the turf tires for various reasons including height issues fitting in the garage door, chains going down into ag ribs, etc. I'd recommend against the boss plow and look instead for a 390. Hard to find but they are out there. Took me a couple years to find one.

/ V-plow on a JD 1070. Anyone done it? Too big?
I should have added that I intend to remove my FEL for winters and build a removable plow mount adapted to my MMM brackets for whatever snowplow I end up using. I'll probably end up looking for a straight 7' plow, but I keep picturing the V-plow in my mind. I just wish it were the smaller, lighter version. Maybe I could cut it down? Hmmmm

/ V-plow on a JD 1070. Anyone done it? Too big? #5  
I have cleaned up snow with an fel, a blade and a snow blower. The fel is by far the slowest with the blade being faster, especially if you have hydraulic angle. The snow blower is still the fastest. Most expensive too.

/ V-plow on a JD 1070. Anyone done it? Too big? #6  
I have cleaned up snow with an fel, a blade and a snow blower. The fel is by far the slowest with the blade being faster, especially if you have hydraulic angle. The snow blower is still the fastest. Most expensive too.

I have an old Western straight plow with hydraulic angle cylinders for $100 if you are near Pgh.

/ V-plow on a JD 1070. Anyone done it? Too big?
Thanks Metalworkshed, but I'm in northern Minnesota. Plenty of old blades around, just have to stumble across the right one.

/ V-plow on a JD 1070. Anyone done it? Too big? #9  
The advantages of v plow over straight blade are huge. With a straight blade breaking a path through fresh snow and the plow angled, it will have a tendency to push your tractor side ways, a v plow in the v position will not do that. Also a v plow can go into the scope position. I am actually considering getting rid of my blower and going to a v plow. Besides a long drive we have a large parking area and a blower does not work well for both. The mount will actually be your easiest part. Figuring out how to do the hydraulics is going to be a challenge. On most of those v plows you stretched a spring when extending the blade, then the spring pushed the fluid back to tank it is slow! You want a double acting cylinder! Haven't had a chance to look at what kind of valve you would need. A 9'2" plow is a big plow. However, you want it to extend beyond the edge of your tires when in the v position. Besides being physically to heavy, with a v plow, you can just not scoop as much, leave it in more of a v so pushing it, you should be able to adjust for. It is a good find.

/ V-plow on a JD 1070. Anyone done it? Too big? #10  
I reckon the MMM brackets will not be strong enough for the plow if you bump something or catch the blade. I would make up something that bolts to the FEL mounting bracket holes, 4 on each side. The 390 rear blade brackets go there. I modified mine so I can switch quickly between FEL and 390 blade by welding square tubes on the rear 390 brackets to mimick the FEL rear brackets.