Snow blowing on a roof

/ Snow blowing on a roof #1  

skyhook

Veteran Member
Tractor
1996 Kubota L4200 GSTC,(sold) 1994 JCB 210S 4x4x4
Every winter ( yes its coming soon :smiley_aafz:) I have to shovel snow off our tin roof,
just wondering if anyone has used a small snow blower set-up for this.
You know, just leave the thing up there and when needed, start er up and blow that stuff off.

/ Snow blowing on a roof #2  
I have seen pics of people blowing off store roofs out west. Don't know more than that. Ed

/ Snow blowing on a roof #3  
A local Nursing Home that shut down had their new membrane roof destroyed the winter after it was installed by a snowblower. There was a video of a device someone built with a rectangular box and 'crazy carpet' type sledding material that looked pretty slick. I've raked and shoveled off tons of snow and ice through the years. On my list of least favorite jobs--huge pucker factor. I bet theres a video on Youtube--it would be a snap to fabricate.

/ Snow blowing on a roof #4  
See blowers on flat topped buildings here.

Tin roof-snow-slope may equal slippery footing?

/ Snow blowing on a roof #5  
I've heard of them doing it, but as I recall they were using electric snow blowers because of their light weight.

/ Snow blowing on a roof
See blowers on flat topped buildings here.

Tin roof-snow-slope may equal slippery footing?

Ya, I hear ya but I have a "low-slope" tin, and it can't be any more slippery than doing it with a scraper.

/ Snow blowing on a roof #7  
Maybe one of those light weight "power shovel" types that use rubber paddles to fling the snow would work.

/ Snow blowing on a roof #8  
I had an older 2-stage, which died a slow death of carburetor issues (would run at any time unless there was snow on the ground).

I was given a toro single stage to "get by" with until I could find another big machine...and I've fixed up the single stage a bunch of times to just keep using it.

I replaced the starter gear, gas tank, rubber paddles, leading edge, leading edge support (bent it up too many times catching it on patio blocks) drive belt, and fuel primer. Because that "little" 2-stroke* is easy to use (the bottom is a "rocker", there are no drive wheels...tilt the machine forward and it pulls itself along on the paddles, which also means slowing down in heavy drifts is as simple as standing still and letting the handle down a bit) and has chewed through just about everything we have thrown at it, in the snowy northeast. Did I mention electric start? Though when the primer is working correctly, I don't even use that (just have to remember that it needs primer AND choke).

*little 2-stroke is about 5 hp, but uses half the fuel of the unit it replaced

So anyway, I highly recommend one of the little rubber paddle single-stage 2-strokes. Bonus is they can usually be found cheap, they made a lot of them, and parts aren't hard to find.

I have not had as good results from anything electric, snow+salt+electric usually ends up releasing magic smoke somewhere down the line, but maybe that's just ones I have used, which admittedly have all been of the well abused tag sale variety.

/ Snow blowing on a roof #9  
Rancher down the road has a small, gas snow blower that he has occasionally used on his outbuilding roofs. His house has a steep pitch metal roof that always sheds the snow.

His outbuilding roofs are heavy galvanized metal and I don't think he has ever damaged a roof with the small blower. He got to close to the edge one year, the blower went on over the edge, he held on with the idea of pulling it back, it pulled him over also. No broken bones but he was pretty sore for a couple weeks.

/ Snow blowing on a roof #10  
I assume you have a flat roof?
I use a roof rake, which works well on a sloped roof and can be used without having to climb onto the roof