Why did you purchase the snowblower you have?

/ Why did you purchase the snowblower you have? #1  

screamin400

Platinum Member
Tractor
2016 Mahindra 2538, 2016 Mahindra 2655, 2017 CaseIH 75C, 2021 CaseIH 110c., 2020 Kubota svl 65-2, 2022 Kubota svl 75-2
I will be going to the Empire farm days this coming week to look at snowblowers. I am in the market for a 60 inch 3 point hitch snowblower. I know most folks are happy with the blower they purchased but I want to know what made that one stand out to you? What did you compare it to? So far I have seen Land Pride and Bervac. Both look good. I would love to see a Woodmaxx but they do not do shows. Going back to my days of farming I know that blower tolerances make a huge difference in the distance the blower can throw something. That will be one of the things I will compare along with blower diameter. Not sure how many if any will be there but I am hoping. Why did you purchase yours over the other brands?

/ Why did you purchase the snowblower you have? #2  
LOL, simply because I found a 60" used for $400.

However it sports a 3 blade fan and the diameter is about 16-18" so performance leaves much to desire.
Look for 4 bladed fan, large fan chamber and by preference the auger driven at one end via chain vs a center gear box.

The wider the fan the higher the exit velocity and therefor the greater distance.
The more blades the higher the volume.

Mind you nothing is perfect and no 2 snow events are the same.
There is a wide variance of snow from wet dense and heavy to light fluffy and dry with the latter actually a fun event.
Any given blower could handle 16" of light fluffy snow but totally bog down in 4" of wet slushy 'muck'.
I have seen a 60hp tractor coupled to a 5 bladed 72" blower bog down in 3" of heavy snow every time he slowed or stopped as the chute would simply plug up.
You either learn techniques or develop a whole new vocabulary.
Sometimes best to wait 'til it gets colder (slushy snow freezes) as ice crystals won't stick and freeze to cold steel while wet snow will.

/ Why did you purchase the snowblower you have? #3  
I agree with what Piloon says.
In my case I bought a used 73" blower as it was all I could find locally, for $800. It works fine on 540 rpm but doesn't throw very far. I use it mainly on 720rpm to get a really good throwing distance. My blower had excessive blade tip clearances so I made up some bolt on tips to reduce the clearance down to about 0.030" - they are made from 1/4" steel flat bar. One could also use old 3/8" conveyor belt to achieve the same effect.
I bought used as I am retired and do not have too much spare cash - not enough to lay out for a new blower at that time. I have had to replace auger bearings and open up and check gearbox, clean and refill. As the blower is used I am not expecting new type performance. I also extended the effective width by adding two wings to the blower.

Attachments

• Snow Blower - 7.jpg
    Snow Blower - 7.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Snow Blower - 2.jpg
    Snow Blower - 2.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 148
   / Why did you purchase the snowblower you have? #4  
Pronovost Puma 54"
Researched snowblowers on this site and determined that it was a well made product and decent value.
I'm not a pro but my needs go beyond light /occasional use so I generally avoid the bottom and very top tier when purchasing equipment.

/ Why did you purchase the snowblower you have?
LOL, simply because I found a 60" used for $400.

However it sports a 3 blade fan and the diameter is about 16-18" so performance leaves much to desire.
Look for 4 bladed fan, large fan chamber and by preference the auger driven at one end via chain vs a center gear box.

The wider the fan the higher the exit velocity and therefor the greater distance.
The more blades the higher the volume.

Mind you nothing is perfect and no 2 snow events are the same.
There is a wide variance of snow from wet dense and heavy to light fluffy and dry with the latter actually a fun event.
Any given blower could handle 16" of light fluffy snow but totally bog down in 4" of wet slushy 'muck'.
I have seen a 60hp tractor coupled to a 5 bladed 72" blower bog down in 3" of heavy snow every time he slowed or stopped as the chute would simply plug up.
You either learn techniques or develop a whole new vocabulary.
Sometimes best to wait 'til it gets colder (slushy snow freezes) as ice crystals won't stick and freeze to cold steel while wet snow will.

When I was on the farm we had a 96 inch blower. We had it on a 200hp tractor. My brother in law went out to cut a bank back that was very large. He just backed right in like it was nothing. Never even broke a sheer pin. Broke the 540 pto shaft right off. He said the tractor never even knew it was there. I remember the day well. My Dad was hot.

I understand completely. When you changed the tolerances it made a big difference didn't it? Amazing what a quarter inch can do on a fan.

Pronovost Puma 54"
Researched snowblowers on this site and determined that it was a well made product and decent value.
I'm not a pro but my needs go beyond light /occasional use so I generally avoid the bottom and very top tier when purchasing equipment.

When you picked the Puma what did you compare to? I really liked the landpride but have not seen a Puma yet in person.

/ Why did you purchase the snowblower you have? #8  
Honestly, the only snowblower I actually saw in person was a used Kubota. I relied entirely on internet research, reviews and comparison of specs, price, etc....plus there was a Pronovost Puma dealer fairly close by what was willing to deliver the machine to my door. I considered some other brands, some of which are probably as good or better than my Puma, but went with a Canadian manufacturer because I figured they know a thing or two about snow removal. I also own a very nice Landpride rake, so I'm aware of their quality. My only complaint about the Puma is that the skid shoes are a little undersized for early season gravel.

/ Why did you purchase the snowblower you have? #9  
When I had my first tractor - 28 hp Ford 1700 4WD - I had a 60" - pto driven blower. The brand was - Blue Machine. The company has long been out of business. I bought it because it was carried by the dealer and I knew I could get part/service if ever needed.

Now that I have a much larger tractor I don't need a blower to clear the snow berms that form when using the rear blade to clear the driveway.

Were I to need a snow blower now - - I would choose a 84" Schulte. There is a dealer within a reasonable distance and I've examined the Schulte units. They are heavy duty in the extreme - more than capable of clearing my mile long driveway, yard & mail box area.

/ Why did you purchase the snowblower you have? #10  
Got a meteor because it was available cheaply. Quality is fine and I was just looking for something that could do the job and was simple