Snow Attachments 9 Foot Snow Plow to 9' Snow Pusher/ loader mounted plow disappointment

/ 9 Foot Snow Plow to 9' Snow Pusher/ loader mounted plow disappointment #1  

RedNeckRacin

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 5083E MFWD, Kubota L3400 HST
So I have been thinking. I have a 9' loader mounted plow that I have been less than happy with. I have it on a quick attach plate that allows the plow to float up and down and lifts wit a chain that can have thr length adjusted by using the curl cylinders to change the angle of the QA plate. I also have hydraulic angling via the rear remotes. Also I have only used the plow one winter so far.

My two main problems are with the ease at which the plow trips and how easily the plow angles when encountering a snow bank.

1. The plow tripping easily. The push frame being level gets the best results out of the straight plow but often enough i have to bump the loader arms up to keep from bottoming out on the ground. This wouldn't be as big of a problem if the areas being plowed were perfectly flat. The loader arms end up being so low they dig in or to high and the plow trips very easily. I was thinking of replacing the 4 trip springs with new ones and adding 2 more into the existing holes. In theory this should work alot better. I also have considered fixing the plow so that it won't trip at all. Keep in mind I only plow at a couple miles an hour with my tractor and not at 20mph like a truck would be.

2. The plow very easily deflects/rotates when I catch a snow bank with a single side. I realize that this isn't a dozer, but I shouldn't have to push a snow bank at 90 degrees or at full angle to move it back. My other plowing rig doesn't have this problem but it's only a 7 foot plow on a subframe mount.

So my solution comes in ditching the angle and trip functions of the plow all together and making it into a pusher box. I have to clear a decent sized parking lot, about 200' by 200' and a 1500' driveway. So this seems to be the ideal answer. I definitely have enough tractor to push more than the box could ever handle with 4wd and chains on my john deere. The only trick to the driveway would be the high tensile fence running down both sides that would limit where I could put the snow, but I really don't see a problem as I can easily take an extra bite or two. Snow depth really isn't much of a concern either since it rarely ever drifts and a record snow event would be 20+ inches. We generally see dusting to a couple inches normally.

So what do you guys think??

/ 9 Foot Snow Plow to 9' Snow Pusher/ loader mounted plow disappointment #2  
So what do you guys think??

I'm familiar with western PA, Somerset area. Snows measured in feet are not uncommon. If I lived there I would invest in a snow blower. Wouldn't using a pusher box require alot of time consuming forward, reverse, repeat, wear/tear on tractor for a 1500' driveway? :twocents:

/ 9 Foot Snow Plow to 9' Snow Pusher/ loader mounted plow disappointment #3  
Boxes are fine for parking lots but not for roads.I would put more or heavier springs on the trip.

/ 9 Foot Snow Plow to 9' Snow Pusher/ loader mounted plow disappointment
A blower is out of the equation here for a number of reasons but thanks for the thought.

1500 sounds like a long ways, but I'm not pushing even 50 foot increments. I have a several hundred foot stretch that has fence on both sides but I'm not worried about it. The tractor will push alot more snow than what will fit in the 9 foot box. Once I get past the fence I can stack it anywhere 12 foot high pretty easily. We generally don't get more than 4-6 inches for normal heavy snows. Even if I spill a bunch, clean up runs should knock it out quickly. Putting hours on the tractor isn't a big deal either. The cab is heated and with a power reverser changing directions is no biggie.

/ 9 Foot Snow Plow to 9' Snow Pusher/ loader mounted plow disappointment #5  
Can you post pictures? That will help us solve #1.

For #2, I assume you have a crossover relief valve (CRV) installed? And that is allowing the plow to trip side-so-side or "rotate" as you say? It should be adjustable, if no you can get a higher pressure one that would be better suted for your heavy rig.

/ 9 Foot Snow Plow to 9' Snow Pusher/ loader mounted plow disappointment #6  
If it was mine I would replace all my trip springs adding some more, then I would figure out why angle keeps tripping. Sounds like a relief is set low. I'm adding angle to my my plow so.... On a road it is nice to be able to bench without angle this would be hard.

/ 9 Foot Snow Plow to 9' Snow Pusher/ loader mounted plow disappointment #7  
If you have enough tractor, a pusher will fill up and sort of become a big "V" and spill off the sides. Only on lighter (fluffier) snows will it spill over the top of the pusher and possibly give you traction issues. Pusher's are amazing on wide open area's but idealy you would have one of each and feel silly (like me) for having 2 plow's.

/ 9 Foot Snow Plow to 9' Snow Pusher/ loader mounted plow disappointment #8  
Crossover valves are adjustable. Tightening up the spring should cure that. (or adding washers or shims.)
If the trip springs are the type that are attached at the top using eye bolts you can increase the tension by screwing down the nuts and thereby stretching the springs to increase tension.
Tap each spring to make it sing and adjust each one to the same tune to balance the tension.

/ 9 Foot Snow Plow to 9' Snow Pusher/ loader mounted plow disappointment
Can you post pictures? That will help us solve #1.

For #2, I assume you have a crossover relief valve (CRV) installed? And that is allowing the plow to trip side-so-side or "rotate" as you say? It should be adjustable, if no you can get a higher pressure one that would be better suted for your heavy rig.

Kennyd, It is just a traditional meyer straight plow with 4 trip springs. It has provision in the angle irons already for 2 more. I think the main issue I am having is that getting the plow to float and follow the ground sometimes puts the loader up to high and thus the push frame to high and the plow to get pushed down into the ground instead of pushing it along the ground. It basically looks like ]_| plow-frame-QA plate.

No cross over relief. The only thing I could come up with was a possible air pocket that didn't get chased out yet due to the length of the lines from the rear of the tractor to the Single acting cylinders.

If you have enough tractor, a pusher will fill up and sort of become a big "V" and spill off the sides. Only on lighter (fluffier) snows will it spill over the top of the pusher and possibly give you traction issues. Pusher's are amazing on wide open area's but idealy you would have one of each and feel silly (like me) for having 2 plow's.

rustyiron- that was pretty much my understanding. I have never had a pusher box so I was just curious if I seemed overly nuts for wanting to convert from a plow to a box. If it matters any, I have a sub-frame mounted plow that I can mount up to the l3400 that I made a few years back and used the loader hydraulics to run it. Personally, sitting in the cold pushing snow doesn't interest me as much as sitting in a nice warm cab does! I was also having some traction issues with the kubota when the snow got deeper. I have 2 link v-bar chains on the front, and with a full plow, going uphill can be a little challenging. Downhill or level its no sweat with the same blade full. Go figure. So I don't think your silly at all for having a spare!

Crossover valves are adjustable. Tightening up the spring should cure that. (or adding washers or shims.)
If the trip springs are the type that are attached at the top using eye bolts you can increase the tension by screwing down the nuts and thereby stretching the springs to increase tension.
Tap each spring to make it sing and adjust each one to the same tune to balance the tension.
Piloon,
No crossover valve. I wasn't to concerned about it since I had another rig that didn't have it. I tightened down 2 of the four eye bolts down all the way, the other two were pretty rusty and were not cooperating in the freezing temps so I gave up on it after a few short attempts. That didn't solve my problem and hence why I'm asking the TBN gods for some opinions!

I have considered replacing all the springs and seeing how that goes, but I'm not entirely convinced that it will completely solve my issues. One more thing to note. I found a heck of a good deal locally on a brand new QA plate. It also happened to be 1/4" thick. I figured the tabs for the push frame were far enough out that they would push on the loader attachments plates but that fell just inside that dimension and its causing some distortions in the plate. While I eventually think I would need to replace this, my ever pondering mind thinks that I can save money converting it. Not having to buy a blower, new springs, or a cross over relief valve sounds pretty good to me. I have plenty of steel on hand and a choice of welders and tools to put it together with.

/ 9 Foot Snow Plow to 9' Snow Pusher/ loader mounted plow disappointment #10  
Redneck,...from what I've read, it sounds like your plow is "angled" improperly, digging into the ground as opposed to pushing, this is most likely why your springs are constantly tripping, adding or changing springs won't help IMO. You need to concentrate on getting the right angle for your blade when in float.
Like someone suggested, a few pics would help.