Snow Attachments 3 point hitch snow blower size

/ 3 point hitch snow blower size #1  

Finn73

This may have been answered before but haven't found anything in my searches.

Is there a general rule of thumb for 3 point hitch snow blower size to tractor power? I recently acquired a MF 240 4wd, and need something for the winter in addition to the bucket. Any suggestions on what would be the right size blower?

/ 3 point hitch snow blower size #2  
I would go for a 7ft blower and keep it a little wider than the width of the tractor , and verify my hp was above that needed to operate the blower .

/ 3 point hitch snow blower size
I guess that's where it gets a little grey. There are some recommendations on websites for new blowers, but even they vary quite a bit on hp required. TractorData lists the MF 240 at 46hp on the motor, 41 on the pto, and then PTO (tested): 34.77 hp?
I will be searching for a used blower, an 84 inch would be great if the tractor can handle it.

TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 240 tractor information

/ 3 point hitch snow blower size #4  
You can handle a big blower with that. Most rate their blowers for a hp range be careful to get one with a gearbox rated for your pto hp. I run a 5' on ~20 pto hp (29 overall) with no issues. Guessing you could do at least 8'

/ 3 point hitch snow blower size #5  
General rule of thumb is 5HP per foot. At PTO tested 34.77HP that's a 7' (84") implement.
IMO I'd say your tractor would handle that.
Another rule some go by is just wider than your rear wheel width.

/ 3 point hitch snow blower size #6  
I guess that's where it gets a little grey. There are some recommendations on websites for new blowers, but even they vary quite a bit on hp required. TractorData lists the MF 240 at 46hp on the motor, 41 on the pto, and then PTO (tested): 34.77 hp?
I will be searching for a used blower, an 84 inch would be great if the tractor can handle it.

TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 240 tractor information
Knowing where you live and how much snow you get might enter into it....

/ 3 point hitch snow blower size
Knowing where you live and how much snow you get might enter into it....

Saskatchewan, Canada. Lots of snow, but rarely if ever wet. I would assume that would tax the tractor.

I've never ran a 3 pt hitch blower, and dislike having to baby the machine along because its underpowered. Lots of good info here, going to look at a 6 or 7 footer unless someone has specific experience otherwise.

/ 3 point hitch snow blower size #8  
Saskatchewan, Canada. Lots of snow, but rarely if ever wet. I would assume that would tax the tractor.

I've never ran a 3 pt hitch blower, and dislike having to baby the machine along because its underpowered. Lots of good info here, going to look at a 6 or 7 footer unless someone has specific experience otherwise.
==============================================================================

No, wet snow will not tax the tractor. The limiting factors are the snow casters impeller diameter and travel speed.

Its easier to take the first cut slowly and then take half cuts faster to get rid of it all.

You have to keep the motor RPM at the 540 engine speed range as the snow caster is limited by its impeller size.

The larger the impeller the better to cast the snow when an open cross auger auger is used as the auger paddles
flood the impeller and also spit out excess snow at the same time and the smaller impellers cannot throw it away fast enough.

Saying that Fluid Film, WD-40 and Mow Deck spray are great lubricants for an impeller, auger and and the snow blowers
inner steel plate body parts exposed to the snow. cooking spray can also be used in a pinch ansd works well.

A lot of it will depend on the three point hitches weight rating so keep that in mind
and buying a used one this late in the season may be near impossible unless you luck
into an estate/farm auction.

As long as you have chains and loaded tires/wheel weights and good tread
you can use a 6 footer with wings attached to gather snow.

What you have to understand is that the snow caster is fully dependent
on the rate of travel. The open cross augers are really a detriment for smaller
mules as they flood the impeller and also spit the snow back out.

The larger Berta Snow casters have two solid cross auger sections to meter the snow
into the impeller and have no plugging problems.

90 percent of this depends on your wallet as the guide.
A rear mount pull behind may be better for your use BUT
they require a higher horse power mule.

But understand that a snow caster with a chute extension and 3 pairs of remotes
are a must have to control the scraper blade, chute rotation and spout angle.

The chute extension keeps the snow out of your face at all times.

if you buy a standard rear mount you should buy all the bells and
whistles (including an extended chute) as the snow caster can be
used on a larger horsepower mule with the same width or you
can add snow gathering wings.

Something to think about:

A used 4 wheel drive sub compact with a loader, snow chains and a new 5 foot rear mount
with twin remotes may be more cost effective as you are looking at close to 12K USD for a new
wider one in some cases.

All depends on your wallet as it is already late in the snow blower buying season

You need to start calling implement dealers to find a used or new one quickly as any
existing inventory is already sold in most cases.

Just be aware that many used units have been abused when looking for used snow casters.

The more snow caster you buy and the heavier the snow caster the better as the heavier
build and frame will not be subject to the lateral stresses of packed snowmelt which will
put pressure on the side weldments of the snow caster.

/ 3 point hitch snow blower size #9  
I think a 72" blower would be the best fit for your tractor.
No matter what size you get, snow blowing is a pretty slow speed job...

/ 3 point hitch snow blower size #10  
I use an IH 70 blower (3 blade fan two stage 78" wide) on a 2wd MF 240. Reverse is good and slow in low range, and you do a LR to L4 shift on one lever so you travel forward WAY faster than reverse.

It is a usable combination, but A 72" might be a better fit, main thing is make sure the blower is same width as the tractor.

With the 240, PTO RPM is like 1728 RPM or something, but motor turns 2200+ You can set that little Perkins at 2200 RPM and back into snow and keep approx 540 PTO RPM while blowing.

I will say if I have an extra heavy snow fall, I put the blower on a slightly larger loader tractor with chains.