Driveway Marker

/ Driveway Marker #11  
I just use 2x2's ripped from a 2x4 or whatever. Like others have said not always easy to know where the drive way is in a whiteout and also not all visitors know where it is under new snow. Unfortunately I usually wait fro the ground to freeze before I install them. My reason for using wood stakes is that they don't mark a vehicle as bad when I run into them and they go thru the snowblower easier.
Al

/ Driveway Marker #12  
Something to mow around or hit with the mower. Don't want them.

/ Driveway Marker #13  
The wife put a flowerbed along one edge of the drive, so I put up the row of fiberglass reflectors. Also, since the house is at an odd angle to the street and the drive isn't exactly square to either, it helps for guests and delivery people. As it is, I still have to straighten up or replace about a half dozen of the markers a winter...oddly, most often when there is no snow, but the ground is still very frozen.

I haven't had the town push back the snowbanks on the corner and move my cable and phone pillars with them since I started marking them, too.

I also have markers at the storm drains, because the drains function a lot better when dug out, which the town never bothers to do. Otherwise, the intersection at the corner turns into a rink, and the ice backs up to the foot of my driveway. Clean off the drains, and the whole issue goes away.

/ Driveway Marker #14  
Don't know what everyone else is using but this is what I found works best for me.
View attachment 445935
It is 1/2 inch rebar 5' long, buy it in 20' lengths, it is in the ground about a foot. On top is clear soda bottle with reflective tape around the out side. I like the rebar, because you can hit it, it bends over then you can just bend it back. Also, when it goes into the ground if you hit something it is not a big deal.
Well after fifteen years of pounding them in final got smart.
View attachment 445936
Around here the soil is clay with rocks, sliding the rebar in the tube keeps it from bending and controls the depth. Only issue is need someone needs to load the rebar. sure is better than pounding them in.
"
Great idea with the bottles. I already use 1/2" rebar.....I'll be using the bottles too this year. Which reminds me - almost time to put them out again.
Thanks for posting.

/ Driveway Marker #15  
I know where my driveway is. I haven't forgotten where it is in over 20 years. I don't need markers. I have it's location memorized. :)

I had the exact same mindset as you for 20+ years, then I put up markers for the first time and realized how much easier it was, especially in the dark which is when I move most of my snow, won't go a season without them now.

I use the fiberglass posts with the reflective tape, work well for my situation and if you hit one with the blower or tractor tire only the post gets damaged, not the equipment.

/ Driveway Marker #16  
I'm retired, my wife is retired. There's no one that lives here that has to get out in snowy mornings or any one that has to get here, so I plow out when it's convenient for me. Even when i was working, if it was snowy, I plowed out in the morning when I got up and then went to work whenever I got done....lucky I guess.

I don't have to do it during a storm or at night, although I kinda like moving snow at night under the lights, but even then I have plenty of lights to find the memorized spots that contain the driveway.

For nearly 50 years of married life I've always managed without markers, can't imagine needing them.

/ Driveway Marker #17  
I also went the rebar route.
I find that slipping some PVC pipe over the rebar helps visibility and best still is blue 1" PVC piping that I had left over from a well installation.

Light blue is a color that really stands out day or night as it contrasts well but light enough for night as well.

/ Driveway Marker #18  
Put a couple in this year,just the plastic ones.The other side has a hedge.We didn't do for ourselves just the old farts that visit and can't back up........funny were the same age.

/ Driveway Marker #19  
I use the orange reflective fiberglass ones but set them back a foot in the grass. I stay a foot away with no issues. I even have a few so old the orange has faded.

/ Driveway Marker #20  
Last winter, after a series of storms, the town decided to clear the intersection where our private road intersects two town roads. They showed up without notice and a big JD front loader then started lifting and pushing the snow mounds back from the road. Only problem was that the main underground electrical connection box for the entire neighborhood resided at that corner. Well, the JD found it and ripped the white fiberglass cover right off its foundation. The 440V wires came up with it. The operator was EXTREMELY lucky he didn't get fried to a crisp. Power was out in our neighborhood for two days in below freezing temperatures. Markers can come in handy.