Driveway Marker

/ Driveway Marker #21  
I use the 5/16" fiberglass rods from Lowes. $2.00 each, last forever. I pound them in with a length of 1/2 iron pipe with a cap on the end. place point of rod on ground, slide pipe over the top. 4 whacks, done.

DITTO all the way! :) A side benefit of the 1/2" iron pipe is mine is 1-foot shorter than my fiberglass rods so all I do is pound them in until the pipe touches the dirt and they are exactly 1-foot in the ground.

/ Driveway Marker #23  
Something to mow around or hit with the mower. Don't want them.

I only put mine in for winter. I have a gravel driveway and the markers not only tell me where the edges are but also make it easier to keep the gravel out of the lawn.

/ Driveway Marker #24  
The snow blowing company I drive for here in Ottawa has always uesd rebar, along with every other company around here. Last year the city brought in a regulation that they couldn't use rebar any more as it was too costly on repairs when it gets tangled up in the blowers. Now they use the fiberglass ones. I actually like them better as they will pop back up after being hit.

/ Driveway Marker #25  
My father in law plowing with a loader in the past always used rebar. Still using a few but mostly switched to 2x2 stakes as using a blower and penalty for sucking a stake/marker into the blower is just too high with rebar. With plowing you can hit markers so being able to bend straight is a nice feature, with blower only hit rarely but if you do you want blower to be able to survive the hit.

/ Driveway Marker #26  
I in fact just last week installed a few rebar markers to mark some boulders that get totally hidden after blowing snow storms.
As said earlier I slipped some lengths of blue 1" poly pipe over the rebar as well as applied 3" strips of reflective tape around the top section.

You tend to resort to these measures only after you damage your equipment however.
My Bad! Well I did learn my lesson.

/ Driveway Marker #27  
I never have trouble knowing where the paved main driveway is. We do have a second gravel driveway that goes to the shed. It curves through the front yard, and a number of times I plowed snow and when things melted a little discovered it wasn't where I thought it was. A couple years ago I started using the orange FG rods with reflective tape. Between the last mowing and first snow they get tapped in and then get pulled out for the first mowing in the Spring.

/ Driveway Marker
I like the idea of the orange pex over the top of the rebar. Just so happens coming up i am going to have some. i will use it in the spots that you have to stay away from. Issue I have found is you may know where your driveway is but someone else won't. So, if you can't plow or your equipment breaks down...... you end up with a mess if someone else does it. Tried the fiberglass and wood stakes. We have clay with rocks. This year with little rain the clay is real... hard, so if the top doesn't splinter, pounding it in, once you hit a rock it will, so you can only get one year. Wood great but if you hit them they break, then you can't find them in the snow and they don't like going through the blower, also can't bend back. With the rebar, if you run over it with the blower it just bends over out of your way, works so long as remember to go back and fold up. Good comments Steve

/ Driveway Marker #29  
I drive in lengths of 3/8" rebar, about 3' long or so, and slide pieces of 1/2 white PVC pipe over them. I scrounged some reflective stickers from a State Farm agent, which I put around the top of the PVC pipe. Hitting them causes no harm, other than a bent piece of rebar. They've held up for 6-7 years so far.

/ Driveway Marker #30  
I use the plastic electric fence posts that you find and most farm stores and then just slip a red laundry detergent bottle over the top. White out conditions, deep snow and wind that you get in the U.P. of Michigan are common and with a long drive it is easier to see night and day.