Frame Mounted Plow, anyone have one/tried one?

/ Frame Mounted Plow, anyone have one/tried one? #1  

avc8130

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L45
I'm looking to make my Kubota L45 more useful for removing snow from my 1/4 mile paved drive. My drive goes up and down twice so a total of 4 quick but steep hills (2 up, 2 down). I have a Fisher plow that I normally run on my pickup, but having a backup option is always nice. I've seen guys run the plows on the front of the loader arms, but that makes for a very long setup and I'm concerned it will push the front end around.

Here's what I was thinking:

Album:

My thought is to get a Fisher mount for a Dodge or Ford truck and then make adapters to mount it to the tractor frame where the grill/brush guard mounts. My goal would be to keep the plow as tight to the tractor as possible. I don't have front hydraulics so I'd probably wire up the plow just like it is on the truck.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks!

ac

/ Frame Mounted Plow, anyone have one/tried one? #2  
I made a subframe for my l3400, I love it and think it is by far the BEST way to mount a plow to a tractor. There is a build thread on here by ASGAR that I followed when I built mine. I tried the loader mounted option two different ways wi th a 9 footer on my JD and I was less than impressed plowing the same driveway. It was too long, the plow tripped easily, the loader would dig into the ground, yadda yadda yadda. So I converted it to a box pusher. The jd is cabbed and the kubota isn't hence the change.

/ Frame Mounted Plow, anyone have one/tried one?
I made a subframe for my l3400, I love it and think it is by far the BEST way to mount a plow to a tractor. There is a build thread on here by ASGAR that I followed when I built mine.

Any chance you've got some pics?

/ Frame Mounted Plow, anyone have one/tried one? #4  
I'm on my phone at the moment but I think I have some pics from the setup on the b7800. Same setup on my L. I might have some video still posted as well.

/ Frame Mounted Plow, anyone have one/tried one? #6  
I have always used frame mounted truck-style plows on tractors.

As in since my Dad's first one set up in 1964 or so.

My favorite way to get the job done.

/ Frame Mounted Plow, anyone have one/tried one? #7  
Should be fine, whats nice is that you have the weight of the hoe in back, that helps allot.

/ Frame Mounted Plow, anyone have one/tried one? #8  
I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with what you want to do, but looks like too much plow for the tractor to me. Unless your truck is a total POS I'd keep the plow on there and just use the loader bucket if the truck went down.

/ Frame Mounted Plow, anyone have one/tried one?
I'm steering away from this concept. My main fear is the electrical demand on the Kubota. The Kubota only has a 45A alternator and 1 battery. The plow draws up to 200A when lifting/angling. That's known to tax alternators on diesel trucks, which usually have dual batteries and 160A alternators. The major fear is that the Kubota alternator is $450!

ac

/ Frame Mounted Plow, anyone have one/tried one? #10  
Thinking out loud. What happens if you bought a cheap plow that was one that needed to be welded to the frame of a truck. Created a quick attach and used your tractor hydraulics? ?

If you dont understand I could possibly draw something up??