Converted a Western Snowplow to SSQA.

/ Converted a Western Snowplow to SSQA. #1  

GPintheMitten

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 with BH65 backhoe, Ford 2N
I am almost done fabbing a SSQA mount for my soninlaw 's fel. He has a 40 HP LS. The paints drying on the mount.

Now I'm looking at nice fresh black paint on the mount, and the blade looks pretty sad. It's an old Western and is faded peeling powder coat.

Will it work to sand the rusted spots and peeling powder coat but leave the powder coat where it is adhered, then prime and paint?

/ Converted a Western Snowplow to SSQA.
Pics.

Attachments

• 20151206_124031.jpg
    20151206_124031.jpg
    867.3 KB · Views: 420
  • 20151206_124048.jpg
    20151206_124048.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,288
  • 20151206_124203.jpg
    20151206_124203.jpg
    919 KB · Views: 667
  • 20151206_124147.jpg
    20151206_124147.jpg
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 593
   / Converted a Western Snowplow to SSQA. #3  
When I converted my Diamond truck plow to SSQA it was pretty rusty and had a hole. I welded a steel patch over the hole then took an angle grinder and wire brush to the rest of the rust and loose paint. Got off as much as I could. I scuffed the rest of the painted area with a scotch bright pad and some mineral spirits then used Rustoleum primer for rusty metal then top coated with Rustoleum industrial yellow. (Red is also available).
My SSQA plate was new as were the bracing. I used the same paint on them.
I've had good luck with this paint on previous plow blades. I brushed the paint on rather than spray.

Attachments

• DSCN1403 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1403 (Medium).JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 1,163
  • DSCN1380 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1380 (Medium).JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 461
Ok., thanks George. That came out nice. I just talked to my son in law. He's not that interested in paint right now. He's paying for the parts and I'm doing the labor. But I know paint isn't much. I may just do it for him.

/ Converted a Western Snowplow to SSQA. #5  

GP I don't know whether you noticed or not but I think you did the mount for the plow on the wrong side of the SSQA plate as I am guessing your son in law is wanting to use the plow on his loader to plow snow if so you have the plow mount on the side that goes on the loader SSQA as it looks in the pics the plow mount is blocking where the pins go in the plate for the SSQA.

GP I don't know whether you noticed or not but I think you did the mount for the plow on the wrong side of the SSQA plate as I am guessing your son in law is wanting to use the plow on his loader to plow snow if so you have the plow mount on the side that goes on the loader SSQA as it looks in the pics the plow mount is blocking where the pins go in the plate for the SSQA.
We'll I've done worse I guess but I think it's right.

The back of the plow A frame will mount rear of the SSQA plate, so the plow will be closer to the tractor.

I'll post up pics of it mounted soon. Maybe tomorrow. Gosh I hope I got it right.

/ Converted a Western Snowplow to SSQA. #7  

Ditto, your braces are going to interfere with the QA plate., you are going to have to cut them off and move them unless there are reliefs in the tractors mounting hardware?

Maybe. I mounted the 2 inch square tubes along a 2 inch steel section of the plate where the qa rods poke through the slot. The slot had 2 open sections, 1 large and one small, rather than one continuous opening. I test mounted after tack welding before going full bore.

You guys have me worrying now. It's pretty heavy and I was going to wait til sil got home to carry it out of the shop. Maybe I'll do it now.

I'm not that familiar with ssqa. Do the openings for the rod usually have only one opening? Are the arm widths and pin spacing different one various machines? Hence maybe the wide slot?

/ Converted a Western Snowplow to SSQA. #10  
Maybe. I mounted the 2 inch square tubes along a 2 inch steel section of the plate where the qa rods poke through the slot. The slot had 2 open sections, 1 large and one small, rather than one continuous opening. I test mounted after tack welding before going full bore.
Did you test fit on the LS tractor?

It might work on a tractor QA.

TCA.jpg

LA504.JPG

It sure won't work on my SSQA.

P6230018.JPG