Tractor tire chains revisited

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #21  
Strange, if you thigthen them and chain is centred and goes way down on the tire on both sides they shouldn't be able to move over the tire.

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #22  
I run my talons loose, they seem to clean out better but I noticed that if I'm driving cross slope I have almost walked them off. I would make sure the tail chains and outer loops are exactly the same length. My instructions said I should be able to get a fist between the sidewall of the tire and cm the chains and that's how I have been running them. They are on 16.9-30 tires.

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #23  
Are they going off the tire they are to loose, the point of not having them to tight are to reduce wear on the tire.

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #24  
4386b01bb21f43712c3e88600b9b6243.jpg

My chains

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #25  
And to get an fist behind the side chain is way to loose.

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #26  
And to get an fist behind the side chain is way to loose.

Says you. That's what the manufacturer specs for chain tightness. I could find their installation instructions if you really want me to.

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #27  
I know they say that but if they almost fall off they are to loose. I have 30 to 40mm on my chains and that works well. Can you tighten them more?

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #28  
I am not trying to get into the debate of tensioners vs no tensioners.
As I said in a previous post, I now have studded TRYGG on my Kubota M7040 4x4.
There was a day when I made up chains consisting of simple ladder style chains overlaid with Volvo Military truck chains to use on my Nuffield 465 with 16.9 x 30 tires.
They were a bit of a mess but worked extremely well.
To keep everything in place I first tried the rubber bungee and then the elastic stretchy things but they had no staying power.
In the cold they lost their strength and also when wet.
Next I tried simple springs running across the wheel but found the chains did not stay in place as the pressure from the springs was not uniform.
My last and best solution was to put a ring in the middle of the wheel and then run springs radially out to the chains.
This has worked great for years.
Places like TSC and some hardware stores sell the rings. I think they are used for some harness purposes.
Nothing special about the springs just short enough to have some tension when you stretch them into place
2hxwxus.jpg

Dave M7040

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #29  
I think Dave said a mouth full. I got my chains to stay in place fairly good by having the same tension all the way around. Also I do not have them really tight. It seems they move around a bit when gripping to go up a steep driveway but when I go out on the road and driving to the next driveway it seems that the zcenrafugicial force realigns them to where they should be. Perhaps if I put them really tight with consistent forceful tensioner it would work as well. Thanks for all the view points.

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #30  
I know they say that but if they almost fall off they are to loose. I have 30 to 40mm on my chains and that works well. Can you tighten them more?

Well I have a fist under my 16.9-30 rears and it seems to work very well. I have only ever had problems on a side hill one time but that's about it.