Tractor tire chains revisited

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Well second major snow storm hit and I was out moving it around with my Bobcat CT 235 using the bucket. Everything was good until I got on the hard pack.

First I am running the GP tires 15x19.5 8 ply in the rear (filled) and 25 x 8.5 - 14 (4 ply) up front - turns out they arr considered garden tractor /atv tires :confused::D

Once on the hard pack on a slight side slope (say 4%) it would not back out of the pile...thank goodness I remembered the white peddle that locks the rear diff :D, but this almost got sideways in the ditch..yes I was in 4x4 mode. I also noticed it was sliding a lot in the turns. I do have my 1000 lb tiller on the back for traction - might be too heavy as in years past I had the 650lb box blade back there. Problem now is I cant get to it as it is buried in the back pasture currently.

I read through all the threads I could and settled on the following tire chains. I like them as they will prevent sideways sliding that normal cross ladder chains wont. I also considered the reinforced net style (but noticed the gaps in the pictures) and Duo-Ladder combo V bar (solved the gap prob;em, but with just a cross chain) - do I need the v-bar

Tractor Studded Tire Chains for rear other available are 15-19.5 Tractor Tire Chains
ATV Studded Tire Chains for the front others available are ATV Studded Tire Chains These look light weight though.

Question on is is this a good place to buy? and
Question 2 is am I looking at the right type of chain for my needs.
Should I get the tensioners?
Should I invest in a tool?

Also I cant find information on the inside clearance I need between the tire and fender well. Thoughts?

Any suggestions are appreciated, especially other sources for this type. I only want to do this once and dont want to keep doing repairs as some have mentioned in their posts.

Thanks for any help - need to order soon.

Merry Christmas and the best for the New Year

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #2  
A lot of guy's here like them, I have not dealt with them myself. The ultimate chain is the studded, also the most expensive and will last the longest. This type should fit snug and need no tensioners, but you don't want to put these on more than once a season!
Everyone has a little different snow & ice conditions, I would think you would be fine with the "reinforced net style". Looks like a bargain with the added lugs. With this style I would think that you would need the adjusters, but a lot of people just use rubber "bungie cords" esp. at tractor speeds. Me included, much cheaper.
As for the tool, I make do with existing tools I have like a grinder with a cut off wheel, and if you find that you need them, you should be able to get them locally. NAPA prolly has them or can get em.

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #3  
Tire Chains.com is a very good company. Many here have purchased from them. I think they have very competitive prices and have bought from them. My last set i found at a local store on closeout.
The studded V bar chains would be best for hard pack snow and ice. Much better than standard ladder type. But if parked inside, put down some sacrificial plywood to park on as V bars will leave marks and dig into concrete.
Rear weight on the 3 pt. is a plus for traction.
For tensioners I buy the 12" HD black rubber bungees at HF.
A tool used to replaced cross links is quicker but can be done with hand tools, just takes longer.
My previous tractor (Mahindra 2615) also used 15-19.5 tires. I had to buy 2" wheel spacers for chain clearance. If you can stick your fist in between the tire and fender you have enough room for chains. Not enough if only a finger fits.
My LS has enough room for standard ladder chains but would need spacers for the studded chains you linked to.
Hope this helps.

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #4  
I got my v-bar chains for the back of my traactor from there and was happy with price and service. They have made a huge difference for me. I also use some heavy duty lawn mower chains that were free from a neighbor on the front and they help a lot too. Ed

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #5  
Those studded net chains look great. I am not a fan of the duo grip chains even with the v bars. I got them for my r1 fronts and even tightened up the pattern but I'm still not overly thrilled with them. I ended up going with a set of aquiline talons on the rear and I love those. I don't have concrete or pavement to worry about but I do get some slick mud in the horse pasture when I'm putting round bales out. I guess I have an odd situation with snow, ice, and deeper mud. I also think the r1 tires make things alot more difficult. I have r4 on the kubota and 2 link v bars and those have been great chains in that application. I think the height of the chain clearing the tread bars Mars a huge difference in how well they work.

/ Tractor tire chains revisited
Red Neck Racing
What kind of sidewall clearance do you need for the aquiline talons . Could you measure your set up on the inside as to how far the project from the tire sidewall. I have 2" at the tire bulge to my inside fender on my GP tires.

Thanks

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #7  
I'll measure them next I get a chance, my wheels are adjustable on the jd and they are set at the widest setting so I think I have 8" of clearance or something along those lines. They really don't stick out to far but I think the chains is 3/8" so a smaller tire may have smaller chains links.

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #8  
I misread my tire size & got some gnarly ones from TireChains.com. Of course they were way loose & & realized my mistake. Like you I was depressed to see my 32hp L3200 classified as a garden tractor with limited chain options. I put 2 link ladder Vbars on the front & was dam impressed. I could actually turn when plowing & it increased my plow load capacity by at least 30%. I've got R4 industrials on & am using a tensioner. I've heard mixed reviews where some people get better results with the tensioners & others without. Given my experience I'm not likely to even bother trying them without.

I have chains for my rears, but can't mount them until I get some wheel spacers so I have clearance between the tire, chains & fenders.

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #9  
When I call my JD 2720 a lawn mower, most people are expecting something smaller. :)

/ Tractor tire chains revisited #10  
After years of making do with lesser quality chains, this year I was finally able to afford TRYGG studded chains.
I cannot find the invoice but the cost in Canadian $ was approx $1,400
My tires are 16.9 x 28 R4 on a Kubota M7040 with 4 x4.
I purchased the set of TRYGG chains from my local Kubota dealer which came from Trygg's Canadian distributor WALCO.
The chains details are:
TRYGG SMT 95
16.9-28
9.5mm

TRYGG’s web site says: “Unlike the TRYGG SMT Flexi these chains are made to fit unique tire sizes and no extra adjustments should be necessary on new tires.”
This statement turned out to be a little optimistic and some fiddling was necessary.
The Canadian distributor does not import completed chains but rather makes them up to fit a unique order.
Today was a big storm and I was very pleased with the improvement in traction they provided.
My two brothers have paved driveways and before the snow came I drove on the pavement to see what damage if any they caused,
There was just small polished circles where the stud touched the asphalt. On interlocking pavers I would not use them.
Dave m7040