Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Oh my...

/ Oh my... #1  

PHPaul

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650 with cab, Pasquali 986
Getting our first actual snow of the year today. 5-ish inches on the ground, posta snow until the wee hours.

It's very fine snow as it's in the teens temperature-wise, took a long time to build up to anything.

The Cabota is plugged into a wireless switched outlet. I hit the remote while looking out the den window and made sure my monitor lamp came on about 11:00. (2015 B2650/Cab and a 64" Pronovost Puma)

Went down about 1:00 and unplugged everything, hopped in the tractor and cranked it up. By the time I was ready to back out of the barn it was blowing warm air. By the time I made two passes up the drive it was blowing HOT air and I had to back off on the fan, just left it on the low notch to keep the winders clear. I was uncomfortably warm in a long sleeved shirt and a hoodie. It's 17 degrees (F) and a decent breeze out there.

Blowing with power steering, a hydro and live PTO is just too easy. Go as fast or slow as I want with one pedal, don't worry about plugging the blower when I stop, put the snow right where I want it with my home-built electric chute rotator and hydraulic tilt.

Most effort I had to expend was to turn in my seat so I could reach to bump the wiper switch occasionally when the wind baffled around. No snow down my neck, fogged glasses or snotsickles hanging off the mustache.

Only glitch is that the onboard accessory wiring I plugged my rotator into isn't quite up to the task, I'll need to run a larger cable, but I suspected that might be the case anyway.

/ Oh my... #2  
Hopping in instead of on is a Wonderful thing ! Happy NY enjoy . Kevin.

/ Oh my... #3  
Sounds pretty sweet!! Someday I'll get to have a cabbed tractor, but not anytime soon. After my most recent purchase I'm grounded from buying tractors for a few years (the terms are negotiable, though). I can definitely accomplish everything I need to with my current equipment, but a tractor with a cab and a front mounted blower would be pretty slick.

We got our first plow worthy snow last night also. Probably about 6" by 8:00 this morning and still coming down. I used the back blade on my new little New Holland and was very pleased with the results. It's quiet compared to my Kubota and without a loader it fit in all the small spots. Hope you continue your warm snow handling all winter!

/ Oh my...
snobota1.jpg

snobota2.jpg

The second picture shows the boat winch I adapted to rotate the chute. There's a DPDT switch in the cab to turn it in either direction.

The mini-cylinder on the deflector is hooked to the single remote on the rear of the tractor, lever for that is right next to the switch for the rotator. Wicked handy...

The lamp clipped to the deflector bracket is so I know the block heater outlet is on when I hit the remote. I can see it from the den window in the house.

/ Oh my... #7  
Nice setup, by the sounds your having to much fun. ;)

5" snow freezing rain limbs/braches starting to ice. :(

/ Oh my... #8  
For a minute their I thought you were intent
on jacklighting the wildman of the Maine woods
with the work light on the spout.

/ Oh my... #9  
Definitely nice being in a cab than out in the cold!
That work light idea is really good!

/ Oh my... #10  
Getting our first actual snow of the year today. 5-ish inches on the ground, posta snow until the wee hours.

It's very fine snow as it's in the teens temperature-wise, took a long time to build up to anything.

The Cabota is plugged into a wireless switched outlet. I hit the remote while looking out the den window and made sure my monitor lamp came on about 11:00. (2015 B2650/Cab and a 64" Pronovost Puma)

Went down about 1:00 and unplugged everything, hopped in the tractor and cranked it up. By the time I was ready to back out of the barn it was blowing warm air. By the time I made two passes up the drive it was blowing HOT air and I had to back off on the fan, just left it on the low notch to keep the winders clear. I was uncomfortably warm in a long sleeved shirt and a hoodie. It's 17 degrees (F) and a decent breeze out there.

Blowing with power steering, a hydro and live PTO is just too easy. Go as fast or slow as I want with one pedal, don't worry about plugging the blower when I stop, put the snow right where I want it with my home-built electric chute rotator and hydraulic tilt.

Most effort I had to expend was to turn in my seat so I could reach to bump the wiper switch occasionally when the wind baffled around. No snow down my neck, fogged glasses or snotsickles hanging off the mustache.

Only glitch is that the onboard accessory wiring I plugged my rotator into isn't quite up to the task, I'll need to run a larger cable, but I suspected that might be the case anyway.

I too have a remote control outlet set up to "plug In" my tractor, love saving that trip out into the snow & cold, especially in the early AM darkness, just walk over to the window in my PJ's with the remote & "plug In" the tractor, then shower, eat breakfast and the tractor is ready to start. The monitor lamp is a must. Just used my setup this morning to move the 9" we got yesterday and overnight.

I'll second the hydro too, went that way about four years ago, it's the only way to go if you have the choice.