Snowblowing with snowmobile helmet

/ Snowblowing with snowmobile helmet #1  

doxford jim

Veteran Member
Tractor
1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.
Hi Guys,

Today I used the tractor for the first time this winter to blow snow with - pto blower, open station. The weather was perfect at around 20F and no wind at all !!!
I found it so much better today and it got me wondering about using a snowmobile helmet when blowing snow - I can see lots of benefits from it.
I have had to blow snow at 10F and windy conditions and it ain't fun.

Sooo, how many of you use a helmet to keep the elements at bay while blowing snow ? How bad is the misting of the face shield ?

It is the cold wind and the freezing snow around the head that gets me - even when bundled up. Thought the skidoo helmet would be a great help - your thoughts please.

Thanks

/ Snowblowing with snowmobile helmet #2  
I have a big yard, mile long gravel driveway and mail box areas to clear. When I had a smaller tractor I had a blower. I never thought of wearing my motorcycle helmet. I wore a stocking hat and pulled the hood of my down parka over that. I believe if you have a full face helmet - blowing snow on the face shield from the outside and your breath condensing on the inside might be a real problem.

My full face MC helmet relies, to a great extent, on my going fast enough for the wind to keep the face shield cleared of condensing breath on the inside. Never rode the MC in a snow storm - and I never will.

And I now have a much bigger tractor and use a rear blade rather than a blower. Seemed that the blower always had blowing snow drifting back on me, no matter which way the chute was turned.

/ Snowblowing with snowmobile helmet #3  
When I had a snow blower and it was windy, I'd use a full face ski knit mask (bank robber style) and ski goggles. Worked great. I used to wear that same combination when ice fishing in windy weather, too. :thumbsup:

/ Snowblowing with snowmobile helmet #4  
I would think that MossRoad's suggestion is a far better answer to your situation. If you need additional warmth - get a jacket with a hood and pull that up and over the ski mask.

/ Snowblowing with snowmobile helmet #5  
When I used my snowblower with an open station tractor, I wore a "Mad Bomber" hat and ski goggles (tinted ones are the best and if you wear glasses, get goggles that are made for wearing glasses).
As far as helmets, there are a number of TBNer who do wear snowmobile gear (including the helmets) when clearing snow.

Unless you have a cab tractor (which I do now), getting covered with snow is an occasional certainty when using a snow blower.

/ Snowblowing with snowmobile helmet #6  
I have a front blade and have been using a MC helmet for years. it works well for me but you do have to crack the visor open a little to clear the fog. Don't know how it would work with a blower. Goggles might work better, might pull out the off road helmet and goggles I had for the 4 wheeler and give it try this year, if we get any snow. Ed

/ Snowblowing with snowmobile helmet #7  
Ski goggles tend to stay fairly clear. Works well with a Mountain Hardwear jacket. The hood closes up around your face and googles.

/ Snowblowing with snowmobile helmet #8  
Snowmobile helmets are warmer and don't get wet. I used to use a full face helmet and leave visor up much of the time, putting it down when needed (going upwind). Many have a "breath deflector" nose shield that minimizes any fogging. Leave visor up after any physical exertion eg getting off to shovel etc. Keep any vents open. A snowmobile specific helmet will be better designed for this than a motorcycle one.

I now have luxury of a cab and front blower. One thing with new blower I only now realize is the value of powered deflection. Being able to keep the plume down most of the time keeps the blowing snow to a minimum. Had rotation but not deflection on the open station unit.

/ Snowblowing with snowmobile helmet #9  
In the past motorcycle helmet with visor cracked open very slightly worked well, warm and no problems with visor steaming up.

/ Snowblowing with snowmobile helmet #10  
Snowmobile helmet with heated visor eliminates fogging. I call the snowmobile helmet my poor mans cab!