B26TLB & Plow

/ B26TLB & Plow #1  

Backlight

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B26TLB & Z724 Zero Turn
Thought I'd post a few pictures of my B26TLB with Horst 1000 SnowBlade.

This is my first winter plowing a long gravel driveway, it has a number of hills, some steep. I didn't have chains on the front wheels the first time plowing. That, inexperience, using a plow on a loader frame and soft ground made it a bit interesting. I'd say I was quite frustrated by the end mainly due to the lack of traction for steering. I've since added chains as can been seen in the photo's. Unfortunately, the rear chains had to come off due to lack of fender clearance. I've placed an order for a set of wheel spaces to remedy this issue.

I was able to do a bit of test plowing with the front chains on, it was better without a doubt. Hopefully with some more practice, controlling the amount of down pressure on the FEL and/or using float will improve the experience in the future. If the plow is not going to cut it alone I'll have to start putting some $ away for a PTO snowblower next winter.

/ B26TLB & Plow #2  
Nice machine, unfortunately with your set-up, you will not be able to use float mode, because your loader arms will be dragging. "I" personally find the B26 a strong machine but would not have picked it for "your" situation. An L or M series machine would have been my choice in "your" situation. I find the B26 too light of a machine in the front end , leaving the hoe on was a good idea for rear weight but it also reduced the front end control as you have now noticed. Landscapers love these machines because their so versatile and compact and strong for their size but in my opinion, their no snow machine. I may get some flack for saying this, but its just my personal opinion. I hope you get your situation improved and others will chime in to offer suggestions, again, a very nice looking machine you have.;)

/ B26TLB & Plow #3  
I recently rented a B26 TLB for some utility work around the house. I loved the backhoe. So much so that I ordered a 3 point BH to put on my L39 for future trenching needs. I found the B26 TLB a bit too heavy and awkward to use around the property for every day stuff. If I were doing full time backhoe work the B26 TLB would be a great machine in tight spots. I don't move any snow - but lately lots of mud.

/ B26TLB & Plow #4  
Nice machine, unfortunately with your set-up, you will not be able to use float mode, because your loader arms will be dragging. "I" personally find the B26 a strong machine but would not have picked it for "your" situation. An L or M series machine would have been my choice in "your" situation. I find the B26 too light of a machine in the front end , leaving the hoe on was a good idea for rear weight but it also reduced the front end control as you have now noticed. Landscapers love these machines because their so versatile and compact and strong for their size but in my opinion, their no snow machine. I may get some flack for saying this, but its just my personal opinion. I hope you get your situation improved and others will chime in to offer suggestions, again, a very nice looking machine you have.;)

Why would his arms be dragging if he used float? He could uncurl until they weren't?

ac

/ B26TLB & Plow

It's unfortunate there is not one machine that is the best at all tasks! I am quite happy with the tractor overall, it's a 2012, I picked it up used this Spring with only 36 hours on the clock! Snow removal was not the primary reason I purchased, I needed it for a number of other purposes around my property, including a future building project. Snow removal was a nice to have and I figure if the plow does not work out in the long run a PTO snowblower is an option.. I agree though, the machine is light in the front end, if my lane was flat I don't think I would be having the challenge I am having at the moment. With regard to float, it does work, I just have to uncurl some, the main issue I've had with float to date is the soft ground, if the blade catches on anything when in float the wheels still get picked up off the ground removing steering control. If I don't use float there is allot of positioning the loader to deal with the hills... A bit of a double edge sword.

Anyhow, thanks for your kind words, we'll see how things go once I have my wheel spacers and chains on all four wheels.

/ B26TLB & Plow #6  
IMG_2492.jpgIMG_2491.jpgIMG_1996.jpg

Very nice setup you have and the B26TLB is a great tractor. As you know the ground at least around here in upstate NY was not frozen until this AM(-3) this morning. The unfrozen ground makes plowing snow a chalange to say the least. When the ground freezes I'm quite sure you'll have a better grip on snow plowing, good luck.I have a Grand L3540 with a HLA 2000 84" snow plow and a LP3584 back blade which is heaver then the B26. I do 2 250' driveways and large turn around for RV, but driveways are blacktop, float works great. If heavy snows come 12" or more then back blade comes off and LA2674 three point snow blower takes care of any heavy snowfalls. I do not need to run chains on any tires as all are filled along with the weight of the HLA2000 in front along with heavy 3584 out back.
DevilDog

/ B26TLB & Plow #7  
It's unfortunate there is not one machine that is the best at all tasks! I am quite happy with the tractor overall, it's a 2012, I picked it up used this Spring with only 36 hours on the clock! Snow removal was not the primary reason I purchased, I needed it for a number of other purposes around my property, including a future building project. Snow removal was a nice to have and I figure if the plow does not work out in the long run a PTO snowblower is an option.. I agree though, the machine is light in the front end, if my lane was flat I don't think I would be having the challenge I am having at the moment. With regard to float, it does work, I just have to uncurl some, the main issue I've had with float to date is the soft ground, if the blade catches on anything when in float the wheels still get picked up off the ground removing steering control. If I don't use float there is allot of positioning the loader to deal with the hills... A bit of a double edge sword.

Anyhow, thanks for your kind words, we'll see how things go once I have my wheel spacers and chains on all four wheels.

Can you play with the plow shoes to prevent the edge from grabbing on everything? Once the ground is frozen it will probably get much easier.

ac

/ B26TLB & Plow
View attachment 452707View attachment 452708View attachment 452709

Very nice setup you have and the B26TLB is a great tractor. As you know the ground at least around here in upstate NY was not frozen until this AM(-3) this morning. The unfrozen ground makes plowing snow a chalange to say the least. When the ground freezes I'm quite sure you'll have a better grip on snow plowing, good luck.I have a Grand L3540 with a HLA 2000 84" snow plow and a LP3584 back blade which is heaver then the B26. I do 2 250' driveways and large turn around for RV, but driveways are blacktop, float works great. If heavy snows come 12" or more then back blade comes off and LA2674 three point snow blower takes care of any heavy snowfalls. I do not need to run chains on any tires as all are filled along with the weight of the HLA2000 in front along with heavy 3584 out back.
DevilDog

Thanks! Really like your Grand L as well.

I've never plowed on frozen ground, I hope it's makes life better!

The lane is 1/3 mile (500 meters) long, wish I had a picture to show what I'm up against :p It's actually a cottage property, I'll take some more pictures when I am there next.

/ B26TLB & Plow
Can you play with the plow shoes to prevent the edge from grabbing on everything? Once the ground is frozen it will probably get much easier.

ac

Yup, I've raised and that has helped a bit. Think my expectations were a bit high, hoping the chains and the freeze will help things...

/ B26TLB & Plow #10  
View attachment 452707View attachment 452708View attachment 452709

.I have a Grand L3540 with a HLA 2000 84" snow plow and a LP3584 back blade which is heaver then the B26. DevilDog
I think you better check your specs. The L 3540 according to Kubota website weighs in at 3200min. to 3700 max (approx. weight ) while the B26 weighs 4001. All things being equal with ballast, the B26 will be heavier by 300-800 pounds. I doubt that back blade will weight as much as the B26 backhoe which can be extended back if needed like a fulcrum to really put the weight of the backhoe on the rear tires and the bucket could be filled with material to increase weight.
All in all, I would take the B26 over the 3540 any day. Plus in a disaster case, the backhoe can be used to move the tractor out of a ditch if needed.