Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #11  
I plow out 3 neighbors driveways for free. I don't plow the road, that's a town road and they do a great job.

If you don't want to continue plowing for free then don't. Just plow out your own area so you have access to the main road. If your neighbors come to you and complain or ask why you've stopped doing the entire road just tell them you can no longer afford to plow the entire road for free with the costs of fuel and insurance and your time. See then how many will then offer to pay you.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #12  
As you mentioned there is no HOA. Since the road is not maintained by the state then I would suggest a neighborhood meeting to discuss snow removal.
If you are no longer wanting to do it let them know and discuss how they plan to take care of it or just let it go.
If you still want to do it I would suggest a cost reimbursement amount and suggest dividing it among all the neighbors.
As to private drives I would do the ones you feel you want to and the rest can go buy a tractor.

I volunteer to plow and salt our neighborhood road (3.4 miles) The HOA provides the plow and salt spreader and storage.
Personally I do my drive and one neighbors 200' drive that he is not physically capable of clearing. they give me $20 per year for fuel and take me to lunch.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #13  
You already know the right answer- if not liking the job, quit. No one asked you to do it; no one seems to care that you're doing it - you're not pleased with the neighbor's attitudes, so stop doing it. They have no reason to change anything- only YOU can take control of the situation. So do it, or not, you have the power to control the outcome.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #14  
If they don't acknowledge your efforts, let them take care of it. That's a lot of work - and wear and tear.

I clear two driveways for local widows, who are extremely grateful. Other neighbors help out with sidewalks and other drives.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #15  
I plow for a few friends & neighbors. They are thankful & show it. I also often plow our county maintained dirt road out to the main road. Its the only way to make sure the county grader comes through. He ALWAYS shows up within a few hours of me plowing :p

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #16  
I cleared 9 driveways and 2 city blocks of sidewalks for several years occasionally getting a thank you and more rarely an offer of pay which I always turned down. These were typical town driveways. Once read that if you cleaned sidewalks and or driveways and then someone slipped and fell, you might get sued. Wife kept insisting I get rid of large walk behind, 36", as I was too old so I eventual did. Now I say The Good Lord put it there and he can take it away when he is ready. We don't get 30" snows here.

Walt Conner

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #17  
I wouldn't waste my time on a bunch of yuppies. Let them deal with it. Mind you if I saw someone shoveling their yard (especially plow pack) I'd be willing to take a swipe through their yard if I was passing by.

I also wouldn't plow someone's yard unless they explicitly wanted me to. You can be sure that after you've done it (for free) they will complain you hit something or tore up their lawn or driveway.

I am fortunate that the government is pretty good plowing my road, I've broken a trail through first after a storm to where I need to go, but not for anyone's convenience but my own.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #18  
Tough subject. The minute you start operating on other people's property and/or accepting cash you are no longer a homeowner clearing snow on your property. This is especially important to your insurance company. Commercial insurance is different than homeowners. I tried to talk my agent in to classifying me as a "farm" bush she said no way because I operate equipment on other people's land for profit.

Simply explain that your insurance will not cover you plowing thier snow unless they want to pay for the added cost for commercial insurance, the tractor, and operator. Let the neighbors know that if everyone wants to chip in $xx you will provide that service for the season. If they choose not to that was their choice so they have nobody to blame. Gotta have that commercial insurance in case you damage something on their property or hurt someone.

Tough situation to get yourself in just for being nice.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #19  
I wouldn't plow for them. My Grandpa always mowed a yard for a lady and I usually helped him. He was doing it for free. She never thanked us or even came out of the house. It really pissed me off. What pissed me off worse is she always left junk in the yard we had to move. I certainly wouldn't have done it if my Grandpa didn't.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #20  
I help people who need it if they appreciate it. There are many ways to show appreciation.

But for those who don't show appreciation, for get about it. That goes double for rich people who take it for granted.