Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #1  

Coyot25

Tractor
Kioti - CK25 Gear
This post is a bit different than how big is your snow plow or blower :thumbsup:, more so I'm wondering how other tractor owners use or not use their resources to help others. This may say this is my first post but Ive been a member since 2005 in the Kioti forum as 7mmrum, unfortunately the email I used at the time of creation was a work email for which I company I no longer work for anymore. So I cannot reset that old account. Now that this fluff is out of the way.

So my question to all of you is what you feel right about helping out others in your neighborhood?

Let me provide the use case. I live in a small neighborhood of 5 to 10 acre lots the road we live on has 12 home sites and is not state maintained; maybe 1/8 to 1/4 mile long. I have lived here for over 10 years and the only one with adequate or that matter any snow removal equipment. There is no HOA for snow removal on this private lane. So each year I have cleared the private feeder road to the best of my ability with my tractor using a front snow plow or the bucket. Thought it was a kind gesture, more so in the beginning was to see how effective my new toy is. As each year would pass I would see a few families shoveling out and so I pushed some snow out of the way to their driveway to their house, I mean a few minutes of me pushing snow saves them and hour of back breaking work. So on average I clear about 4-5 other driveways in addition to the private lane every year or when we have something substantial.

Each year I get disheartened or cynical with the fact that folks don't take my time/work to clear the road or their driveways for them so they can get out to the state maintained road. I mean I'm the second house on this line of as I said 12 homes. So I can clearly screw the folks beyond my residence by simply clearing myself up to the main road...... well the rest of you are on your own. Each I year I get less and less "thank you's" or even come out of the house to wave; and rarely does anyone offer up a few bucks for at least fuel. These home sites are in the neighborhood of 400k to 600k, so it isn't a lack of extra cash for them.

This last storm "jonas" which in the my area dumped about 30+ inches of the stuff and honestly a bit much for my tractor and the work involved.. As you guys all well know there is a quite a cost to purchasing a tractor, operating costs, buying chains for the tires, a plow or snow blower, the stuff really adds up. Now we do use our tractors for other farm related uses, not as if it is a dedicated snow mover that sits 10 months of the year.

So I'm curious on the others that are out their in a similar situation as what you do.

- do you tell them sorry
- do it for free
- charge them a flat fee / hourly fee - if so what is it
- or in similar situation do you clear yourself out then your done

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #2  
Around here....we are very neighborly and help each other out when there are problems. With that said......we also don't take advantage of our neighbors. Seems that if your neighbors have an expectation that you clear their driveways.......they should reward you in some way. Pay your gas.....pay an hourly wage....invite you over for dinner.....buy you a case of beer...etc..... If you did that for me every year.....I would repay you someway...simple as that.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #3  
We were closer to 40" from this storm, and Saturday, just keeping the snow cleared from one gate, and around to the barn and to the manure pile kept us busy. I had loaned my walk-behind snowblower to the neighbor behind me, I cannot get to his house, his driveway is almost a mile away, and the next door neighbor, we usually do their driveway.

This year, we got about 80' down their driveway, after getting to the road on ours (took all day), and he asked if he could just borrow the tractor. He has tractors at work.

It is the first time I've done it, but it was going to take another 4-5 hours to clear his driveway, because it was too deep to push, this was back and forth with the FEL to move the snow...and my husband and I both needed to be working, so he used my tractor and did it himself. And it was all ok.

They have always thanked us and brought over wine in prior years, but this year was a humdinger of a storm.

Sadly, the walk behind snow blower broke (probably due to some stress from a rock getting jammed in, not shearing a pin last year) so my neighbor behind is still stuck. Of course the tractor store didn't have the clutch cable in stock...so my hubby might try to drive around there today. There is still over 2' on the ground.

In your case, I'd probably stop doing it though...if there is no thanks or gratitude? They can't even be bothered to come out and say hello & thank you? I can just go watch a movie and warm up.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #4  
There needs to be some kind of reciprocation. I have a similar situation except that there is a real mix of financial status on my street. So here are my rules.

1. Plow out widows that I know for free (used to be 2, now is one)
2. Plow out freinds for free if your relationship is such that you feel good about doing it.
3. Never plow out someone if you don't feel good about doing it.
4. If someone wants to pay you, accept it. You probably deserve it and more.

I came to these rules because I had one guy who I plowed every storm and he didn't ever even say thank you. So one day it snowed I didn't plow him. He called frantically with some story about needing to get to work. I blew up on him because I was exhausted from doing free jobs. I wound up doing it for $50. Other people in the area that I don't know have now gotten my number and offer money to do there drives. I do them for money and still do several for free based on the rules above.

Last edited:
   / Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #5  
I do the neighbors when the Dad is away on business and she's home with the little ones, and I will occasionally do the berm left by the city plow for my near neighbors if it is heavy or going to sit all day and turn to rock while they are at work. But that's as far as I go.

Allot of people do not like you doing them favors even if it is of no hardship to you to do it.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #6  
No snow to speak of yet around here, but I empathize with your feelings on the situation.

A couple things come to mind. If you personally have no need to clear the drive immediately (weekend, off work etc.) camp out for a day or two and enjoy the quiet. See if anyone contacts you. The panic local news creates around here over 6" of snow is ridiculous.

This fall put a sign up for a winter plowing service....sign up now! Or in the fall talk to some of them and let them know what you expect.

It sounds like a pretty well to do area, let them figure out a service for their problem.

While typing I saw gladehound's four points...very good, enough said!

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #7  
My "sub" is very similar to yours. 5-15 acre lots, T-shaped, about 1 mile in total. However, I live on one of the "top T" sections, so I have to do a little more just for our home.

I also maintain the gravel surface (grading) but again, that's mainly because it affects us directly.

I plow my elderly neighbors for free, my "friendly" neighbors for $10, and up to $40 for the others. Most plow companies has been charging my neighbors $50-90 per push, so regardless I'm saving them money.

I've had a few neighbors throw me occasional cash for maintaining the gravel, but that's typically free.

We also don't have a HOA, so unfortunately, ungrateful people can't really be held responsible to pay their share. Some of us have thought about forming one, but in some ways, the pros don't outweigh the cons, for us anyhow.

Sorry to hear that you have similar neighbors.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #8  
I've been doing/helping several neighbors out for the past several years. If they don't have a snowblower, or are older, I'll do it for free just to be neighborly. I have always gotten a big thank you or a case of beer from most of them. Even if they are out snowblowing their driveway, I'll clean up around their mailbox for them just because the walk behind snowblowers struggle with the slush that the plow trucks pile up. During this last storm, only one other neighbor has a tractor and snowblower that could handle the snow efficiently. We ended up doing most of the people on your street. It really turned into more of a block party. And the best part was that my kubota had to pull out my neighbors stuck JD 1025r. :)

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #9  
Unfortunately there is some truth to the cliche, "No good deed goes unpunished." Sounds like your neighbors can well afford to get themselves plowed out. They are used to you doing it, so why should they bother. I bet if you missed a storm or two, things would change fast.
I own a five cabin compound, and I plow my tenants out. Nobody in their right mind would take the job, so I do it. That said, I plow when I want to and quit in the spring when the driveways get soft.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #10  
So my question to all of you is what you feel right about helping out others in your neighborhood?

I feel "Good Fences Make Good Neighbors". Nowadays people will sue you at the drop of a hat, be friendly but keep your distance.