improved snow blower skid shows

/ improved snow blower skid shows #1  

bellweather

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22
I have a 54" Pronovost Puma snow blower, which I really like, however even with the factory skid shoes raised to the highest setting, I was still blowing gravel onto the lawn. It's especially a problem before the driveway freezes solid or after a thaw.
I think I solved the issue by mounting larger skid pads made from 1/4" steel to the factory skid shoes. Haven't used them yet , but I am optimistic.

Attachments

• skidshoes.JPG
    skidshoes.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 2,406
   / improved snow blower skid shows #3  
Looks great! Let us know how well they work!
If blowing gravel is still a problem, try this. I do this on my 72" Pronovost Puma.

1. With the blower on a level surface, preferable concrete or asphalt, adjust the top link
to level the blower, using the cross-shaft housing as a reference, front to back,
not side to side.
2. Adjust the skid shoe height to have the scraper edge just touching the surface.

3. Now, shorten the top link to raise the scraper edge up about an inch or so, when
the gravel surface is not frozen. This reduces the amount of gravel that is ingested
in the blower.
4. When the ground is frozen, lengthen the top link back to the blower level position.

I have a gravel driveway and this seems to work for me.

163529-2.JPG
163729-1.JPG

Last edited:
   / improved snow blower skid shows #4  
Strangely enough, my Ford 705 PTO blower behind my Kubota is exactly the opposite. Shortening the top link digs the scraper blade into the driveway more since the skid shoes are mounted in at the far ends of the back of the blower (as in, towards the front opening of the blower).

I do like those skid shoes though, that would of likely saved me a few shear bolts, random bolts and straightened exhaust clamps last week. Yes, I had to use u-bolts in a pinch. Big order of Grade 5 bolts are due in from McMaster tomorrow though, so I should be good.

/ improved snow blower skid shows #5  
If you have access to a welder, I'd add two sides, as when the blade is angles, the edges of the skid shoes are able to catch rocks etc.

/ improved snow blower skid shows
After the crazy mild winter and temps now in the 50s, it's looking like I'll have to wait until next winter to try out the new skid shoes...

/ improved snow blower skid shows #7  
I also modified mine and a neighbors blowers with wider skids, does the job just right, no more gravel in the grass!.
Once my base is established I take mine off to rid all the snow,

/ improved snow blower skid shows #8  
If you have access to a welder, I'd add two sides, as when the blade is angles, the edges of the skid shoes are able to catch rocks etc.

I believe the OP is using the shoes on a snow blower which is typically never angled.

/ improved snow blower skid shows #9  
if your going that far, Tack a strip on the bottom, that can be replaced,, I had to as the shoes wore down in 2 seasons for me, and I went with 2 pieces of flat bar, tacked on

/ improved snow blower skid shows #10  
I did the same thing to my front mount John Deere 59" blower. It works great.