Snow Attachments Plowing snow with a FEL?

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #1  

vailster

I am trying to decide if I can manage with only a FEL and save the $$$ for a blower or plow. My driveway is only 200ft and is paved. Then again the thought of a blower /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #2  
Mine is only 70' so it isn't quite as long, but the FEL was great this winter. I also was wondering as I this was the first winter with the BX but it worked fine. I sometimes moved it from side to side to eliminate any/much overflow and other times went length wise and just cleaned up the overflow as needed.

Also the FEL is great for piling it up. Several use them with a rear blade that you can purchase relatively cheap and seem to like that combo. I was thinking that would be the way I would go, but decided to give just the FEL a try and it works fine for me. So I guess the rear blade is out, so maybe now I can get a boxblade /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #3  
There are numerous posts on this subject...

I've got about the same amount of clearing you'd have to do.
For me, in south central PA, the snows justifying a snow blower are few and far between.
However, other then using the FEL to back drag snow away from the garage doors and vehicles, the only other use it gets for snow removal is making piles.
As far as removal from the drive, I use a back blade which is a fairly cheap implement. I angle the blade about 30° and operate the tractor in reverse gear. This works well if you ensure you plow no more then 10" ± 1".
If I could get a great deal on a 3PH type blower (at an auction or something like that), I might do it...but for 150 to 250 feet, I'd just plow first.
For my circumstances, there's better ways to spend the $1200 or more then a rear snow blower.

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #4  
I used the bucket on my BX22 this past winter to clean up the front of the driveway from what little was left after plowing with the truck. I noticed that the front edge of the bucket has about 1/4" worn off of it. If you are willing to sacrifice the cutting edge to wear, then go for it. At some time in the future, you will need a new cutting edge on the bucket. I don't know if Kubota offers this as a replacement part, but if they don't you will have to have one made. It would be informative if one of the Kubota dealers on the site would check into this to see if it is available as a replacement part.

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #5  
There is a nice summary of using a rubber horse mat to put a soft, flexible edge on a FEL at: Horse Mat for Soft Snow Blade Edge. The rubber mat will scrape snow off a paved drive without damaging the asphalt, or off a gravel drive without displacing too much gravel.

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #6  
I would get a blade in addition to the FEL. It's a whole lot faster and cheap... less than $200 for a new 7 footer.

/ Plowing snow with a FEL?
Thanks for the responses, I've been trying to put together my wish list before I try to sell it to the wife /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I did see a picture of what appeared to be a standard snow plow that you could bolt on to the FEL. It looked like a good idea. Does someone make a bucket that detaches like a skidsteer and can attach a snow blade?

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #8  
   / Plowing snow with a FEL? #9  
It sure would be helpful if you would fill in your profile so we would know what tractor you were referring to. In my first post, I was referring to my small BX22. I have no idea if you are using a Kubota BX 1500 or a JD 30,000 articulated loader. Everything is relative and in this case, the relatives need names and location before we can go much further in the discussion...... thanks... Junkman

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #10  
VAILSTER . . . how much snow do you get? What size tractor? Etc. Filling in your profile would help get you answers that actually pertain to your situation.