When using a front snow blade, is it better to have extra weight on the rear or not?

/ When using a front snow blade, is it better to have extra weight on the rear or not? #1  

oldafretired

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901, MX5800, U55
I have a backhoe on my l3901. Would it help to take it off or leave it on for pushing snow?

/ When using a front snow blade, is it better to have extra weight on the rear or not? #2  
Definitely leave it on. I keep my rototiller on the back all year long. Lets me lift more with the FEL in the summer, and gives me extra shoving power with the plow in the winter. With your backhoe, if you get stuck in a deep drift, you can push yourself out with the hoe.

/ When using a front snow blade, is it better to have extra weight on the rear or not?
Thanks. I think I'll leave it on.

/ When using a front snow blade, is it better to have extra weight on the rear or not? #4  
Yes, the extra weight is nice for pushing snow. You just have to be remember that its sticking way out there when backing up and turning so you don't hit something. Also, what Boylerman said.

/ When using a front snow blade, is it better to have extra weight on the rear or not? #5  
leave it on for sure. much better traction.

/ When using a front snow blade, is it better to have extra weight on the rear or not? #6  
leave it on and get some tire chains. :thumbsup:

/ When using a front snow blade, is it better to have extra weight on the rear or not? #7  
I left mine on my Massey. 1000 lbs right where you want it. Works fine even on blacktop with R1's even up hill. No chains necessary at all.

/ When using a front snow blade, is it better to have extra weight on the rear or not? #8  
Weight = traction. It also unloads the weak expensive front axle when doing loader work.

On a 3000 series Kubota, you can't put chains on the rear tires if you have R4s unless you have wheel spacers. Not sure on R1s, but I expect as they are skinnier, there will be clearance to the inner fender, unlike R4s.

/ When using a front snow blade, is it better to have extra weight on the rear or not?
The more I think about it, I think I'll use a weight box on my three point instead of the BH to keep some weight on the back but also help with steering when using the front snow blade. I'll play with the weight to try and find a good balance between steering and rear traction.
I have R4 tires and rear wheel spacers for chains. I might go ahead and try the front chains to see what effect they have.

/ When using a front snow blade, is it better to have extra weight on the rear or not? #10  
I have a backhoe on my l3901. Would it help to take it off or leave it on for pushing snow?
My opinion= take it off.
I left my backhoe on once when plowing snow, to much weight in the back, had problems steering.