Snow Equipment Owning/Operating SNOW THROWER --- Tracks or Tires?

/ SNOW THROWER --- Tracks or Tires? #11  
I have a tracked Honda 928 and it has cleared 20"+ snow falls with no problem. Never broke a shear pin. Gotta take your time!
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

/ SNOW THROWER --- Tracks or Tires? #12  
I have a tracked Honda 928 and it has cleared 20"+ snow falls with no problem. Never broke a shear pin. Gotta take your time!
Gotta tell Honda to redesign their machine.

The housing is rounded at the top instead of having a lip like Ariens. So if you approach a vertical surface, the first thing to hit the rock wall or whatever it is is the auger. Result? Broken shear pin.

Second, Honda puts the runners behind the bucket, not at the bottom of it (like Ariens).
i-cjn7RsX-L.jpg

If you hit an uneven surface, such as a concrete or rock paver that is raised, the auger catches it before the runner does. Another broken shear pin.

The solution is to buy the "Professional" runners Honda sells to put on the bottom of the bucket. Except that none of the local dealers could even find the right part number, let alone have it in stock! My solution was to move the stock runners to the forward location, which has reduced the consumption of shear pins.

We break one Ariens shear pin every two or three years on the same areas.....

Maintenance tip: every season pull the shear pins, grease the shaft, and rotate the augers to make sure they spin freely. Especially in areas that use a lot of salt, over the years the augers can rust to the shaft, making your auger gear box your shear pin.....

Anyone put heated grips on a Honda? It has a light so there has to be some DC output.

/ SNOW THROWER --- Tracks or Tires? #13  
I have my dads 28" craftsman sb it has the sno hog tires but he put chains on it, I have to say it will go anywhere I point it and I leave the chains on all the time never take them off. I ran a track machine once too hard to turn around.

/ SNOW THROWER --- Tracks or Tires? #14  
The walks, patios, and fire pit is now installed at the new house. Great job, looks terrific. Now, my snow removal activities will require a snow blower that I walk behind, at least to do the back area. I can still plow the driveway my normal way.

Been shopping online, and I really like the Ariens brand. I suppose I need a quick turn feature, probably a remote chute turner, electric start, and 30 inch cut. What about tracks versus tires. Driveway grade is pretty gentle and the driveway is paved. I think the blower will be able to walk just fine with tires only (no chains). What are your ideas please?
So, whadja get?

/ SNOW THROWER --- Tracks or Tires? #17  
We have a Hondu with tracks, in fact its the 2nd one after wearing the 1st one out. We do get snow here. They do break shear pins, but that's an expendable part.....

Attachments

• looney swims in snow big view (DL).jpg
    looney swims in snow big view (DL).jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 104
  • arlyn blowing snow 05.jpg
    arlyn blowing snow 05.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 121