Newly blacktopped driveway

/ Newly blacktopped driveway #1  

ror105

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 Kubota 2320 HSD
Hi Men,
We are preparing to black top our driveway if the prep work gets finished before the paving crew is available. I still have my 60" plow on my Kubota. I can't fathom the thought of running the skids or the plow edge across a new driveway. Have any of you attempted to mount caster or wheels where the skid shoes mount?

I tried placing a lengthwise split PVC pipe on to minimize gravel moving when I first got the tractor and it worked for a while. I thought I may revisit that as a solution.

Any thoughts or novel approaches to this?

Thanks
-Rob

/ Newly blacktopped driveway #2  
I bought these and they work OK. you can still get two skid marks though..

Amazon.com : Polaris Plow Skid Shoes Kit 2873423 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I tried bolting a 2x4 to the underside of the bucket and that worked good on paved driveways, but not good on gravel.. With the skid shoes you sorta get best of both.. you can tilt the bucket down so the edge will cut or so it just skims the snow off

b

/ Newly blacktopped driveway #3  
You can always purchase a 20 foot length schedule 80 PVC pipe
and cut it in to four 5-foot lengths so you can have spares.
The issue is more of pushing against existing piles and possibly
breaking the PVC pipe but thats why you have spare pieces of PVC.
No matter what the surface of the pavement is going to degrade
and bleach out due to the weather changes and sunlight.

/ Newly blacktopped driveway #4  
There's a number of threads thru the years about this subject...try SEARCH.

/ Newly blacktopped driveway #6  
If you can get it, ABS pipe will hold up better than PVC. I have never tried schd 80, but schd 40 PVC will shatter/crack a lot easier than the ABS, especially when real cold. If you go that route instead of some type of rubber or plastic edge like fameratheart mentions....

/ Newly blacktopped driveway #7  
You can search for the rubber blade edge online for airport runways. They are very durable and minimize pavement galling

/ Newly blacktopped driveway #8  
They make Black Nylon that you can use as a blade edge. I have black concrete, and was going to go this route for my Steiner V Blade. I used a recycled material called Diaper Board (Yes you can guess what it's made of) just as a trial. It's used in commercial truck floors. Although it's grey, it didn't seem to mark the concrete and actually held up. Now a few years later, the concrete has faded and I am not so fussy anymore.

/ Newly blacktopped driveway #9  
How good of a job does the plastic edge do on getting ice off the pavement?
Thx

/ Newly blacktopped driveway #10  
I tried a piece of ABS on the front snowblower and it shattered in short order.
I replaced it with a piece of galvanized pipe that I had sitting under the barn and its been great.

Aaron Z