ice melting

/ ice melting #1  

6sunset6

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC34DA 34HP HST, 2 rear remotes, front diverter, loaded R4's
I have a NH TC34DA. I plow 700 ft of driveway and 3 parking spaces all flat blacktop except for a little pitch up in front of a two car garage. I approach the garage straight in and have to turn 90d to the left as I approach. I use R4 s all around. In the middle of a 600 foot straight run is a stand of Norway spruces on the south side of the road. The front of the garage where I turn 90d on the up pitch is on the north side. So ice in front of the garage , ice for 100 ft north of the Norways.
The sun does not shine on either spot. I run a blower on the rear and a plow on the front. Before I had the blower I used to plow at 5" and it was ok. More and than that the tractor was not big enough to push the plow. So now I wait till it stops snowing and make as many passes as I need with the blower and then clean up with the plow. Works ok except for the spots the sun does not reach. Particularly in front of the garage which turns into a real skidaroo.
I know I can use a hand spreader but where is the fun in that. I have been thinking about a spreader for years but not about to swap out the blower. I was just up in Canada in a blowing lake effect mess and noticed the plows puling tanks of liquid. Some kind of stick preventor or melter I would guess. So I thought how about a 10-15 gal battery powered spray tank mounted on top of the plow frame with a spreader nozzle over the top of the plow and find some magic liquid stuff.
The tank sprayer is pretty cost effective $100 . My tractor is already set up to spray with electrical plugs and switches. So tank is on the way, Home depot has for no shipping charge to the store 5 gal of some kind of no stick stuff. $55 Has mixed reviews I figure I will get 3 passes out of 5 gal Has to go on before it snows.
This is a test. I should be able to find liquid calcium chloride someplace which should be be able to go on after ice is present. I could also wait for a warm day, takes about 3-4 days of 40d F and some sun to getit melting. thats no fun either. It will snow tomorrow and all this stuff is due Friday. So it might be after the next storm till I post pictures and results. Might have to wait till next year.

/ ice melting #2  
Rust- calcium chloride. They salt the roads here in Maine with calcioum chloride and it rusts our vehicles to pieces.
If you don't mind rust on your tractor, go for it.

/ ice melting #3  
I have a NH TC34DA. I plow 700 ft of driveway and 3 parking spaces all flat blacktop except for a little pitch up in front of a two car garage. I approach the garage straight in and have to turn 90d to the left as I approach. I use R4 s all around. In the middle of a 600 foot straight run is a stand of Norway spruces on the south side of the road. The front of the garage where I turn 90d on the up pitch is on the north side. So ice in front of the garage , ice for 100 ft north of the Norways.
The sun does not shine on either spot. I run a blower on the rear and a plow on the front. Before I had the blower I used to plow at 5" and it was ok. More and than that the tractor was not big enough to push the plow. So now I wait till it stops snowing and make as many passes as I need with the blower and then clean up with the plow. Works ok except for the spots the sun does not reach. Particularly in front of the garage which turns into a real skidaroo.
I know I can use a hand spreader but where is the fun in that. I have been thinking about a spreader for years but not about to swap out the blower. I was just up in Canada in a blowing lake effect mess and noticed the plows puling tanks of liquid. Some kind of stick preventor or melter I would guess. So I thought how about a 10-15 gal battery powered spray tank mounted on top of the plow frame with a spreader nozzle over the top of the plow and find some magic liquid stuff.
The tank sprayer is pretty cost effective $100 . My tractor is already set up to spray with electrical plugs and switches. So tank is on the way, Home depot has for no shipping charge to the store 5 gal of some kind of no stick stuff. $55 Has mixed reviews I figure I will get 3 passes out of 5 gal Has to go on before it snows.
This is a test. I should be able to find liquid calcium chloride someplace which should be be able to go on after ice is present. I could also wait for a warm day, takes about 3-4 days of 40d F and some sun to getit melting. thats no fun either. It will snow tomorrow and all this stuff is due Friday. So it might be after the next storm till I post pictures and results. Might have to wait till next year.

That liquid is probably some form of beet juice brine. They put it on the roads around here before it snows to help keep the snow and ice from sticking to the pavement. It won't melt existing ice, from what they say. It has to be put down before the precipitation. I don't know if it works or not. The last snow we got seems like the roads were skating rinks even though they had been treated.

/ ice melting #4  
If you are going to use Calc Chloride, get yourself a hydrometer. You will want your percentage of Calc Chloride to be no more than 22%. You thin it down with water.
If you use the beet juice mixture, then I think it is Magnesium Chloride you will want. I don't know the percentage for the Mag Chloride.
Salt brine will also work, with or without the beat juice.
Keep in mind that rock salt will NOT work at temps below -12F.
Calc. Chloride I think quits working at -18F.
If you PM me I can supply the phone number and address and web addy of a company that does the Mag. Chloride thing.
I just checked their website and they do both Mag and Calc. Chloride.

Last edited:
   / ice melting #7  
Ha,ha,ha - you were in rare form yesterday, MossRoad. I HATE, HATE, HATE anything that will melt snow or ice. I've seen what it does to vehicles, where they use it in Spokane. Besides, you apply whatever, it melts the ice, the resulting melted ice washes away whatever you used and colder wx causes the ice to form again.

I've used just about anything I can get my hands on - other than ice melter stuff. Sand, pine needles, wood chips from my chipper, sawdust - I even used the last five bags of wood pellets. That liquid that is sprayed on the asphalt is death to vehicles. Thank goodness our local car wash has an "underbelly" washer that I take my Jeep thru two to three times during the winter. I DO have to go into Spokane infrequently.

/ ice melting #8  
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay away from calcium chloride. We have one of the wells just a few KMs from town here and the bright idiots that count the beans figured it was cheaper to use that than the salt that is trucked up from down east. It never dries, the highways stay sloppy, and as soon as it gets below -8-10C it turns to snot and is almost worse than plain ice, it is worse than salt for getting into wiring and corroding other stuff as well. Thank goodness they finally went back to salt this year.

/ ice melting #9  
Since I got carried away with my rant and never actually offered any real help here is my suggestion. What about getting a broad cast spreader like you see on the back of a quad or that fits in the hitch receiver of a pickup, mount a receiver on the top of your plow and when you need to put the spreader on fill it up and go. I would imagine if you went to your local highways department you could buy some salt off of them or get it through an industrial supply company. I know one of the mills i haul into buys it in 5gal buckets a pallet at a time for all their walk ways and the scale.

/ ice melting #10  
Ashes- sand, much better alternative to something that causes rust. At my old school they got a salt sander to stick on the back of a 4 x4 pick up. A couple of years use with calcium chloride- the spreader was covered with rust. The back of the pick up too.

Good luck.