Clearing snow w/ front loader

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader
   / Clearing snow w/ front loader #12  
It will take much longer to move the snow with a front end loader than it would to blow it. I just finished doing my yard and my neighbors yard today, after having gotten about 5 to 6 inches of fresh snow. I spent a fair amount of time making those snow piles. When there is just a couple of inches of new snow, I can run the length of my driveway (100 yds). Today, it took about 5 or 6 stops along the way to empty the bucket, else it would just spill out all over the place.

20170103_141641.jpg

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #13  
I have a power angle plow blade on my FEL arms. It works 2-3X better than my bucket. Nothing like a blower, but way, way better than my bucket.

First, its power angle, so you can push to the side VS a bucket that can't.

Second, you can push snow up and over the top of piles a lot easier with a blade VS the bucket. My little PT425 only lifts about 4'5", but I can stack snow 6' with the blade. Can't do it with the bucket.

Third, it has gauge wheels and the bucket doesn't. This helps tremendously in gravel and grassy areas to prevent moving rocks and grass accidentally.

We don't get enough snow to justify a blower here. Sure, I'd like one. But in 15 years of owning the tractor, I only had 1 year where I had to put on the bucket and haul snow to the back yard because I ran out of room to store it. We get lake effect here, too, off of Lake Michigan, but not like the folks on the eastern edge of Lake Erie. I'd definitely get a blower if I lived there.

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #14  
If you go the bucket route absolutely get the edge tamers. Allowed me to push snow way off into the yard. That way plenty of room for piles. Did not damage the lawn or gravel drive.

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #15  
I currently have a JD with a 47" front mount blower. I live in Buffalo. I have used the bucket and the blower. I can say without a doubt you will miss the blower. For a couple of inches it's fine. 6+ it can be done it just takes a lot of time.
I'd say get the tractor and bucket and keep your eye out for a used 3pt blower.

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #16  
. I'd say get the tractor and bucket and keep your eye out for a used 3pt blower.
Another vote for that. Wait until end of season and there are plenty on CL. A rear blower with FEL would be a sweet combo.

Edge tamers make clearing a gravel drive or grassy area quick and easy. The local contractor plows our 700' driveway with a big truck, then we push back all the banks with the FEL.

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #17  
One problem with using an FEL, edge tamers or not, is the lack of ability to windrow the snow off to the side or contain it as the tractor pushes or turns. You can basically push straight as it spills out the bucket, and that's it.

I think I cleared snow with the FEL for about 5 minutes before realizing how bad it sucked. I still have to move around some snow with the FEL, but when there's room I will turn my rear blade around and push it backwards -- even that is so much better.

For long distances, the rear blade really shines. For my ~ 700' driveway, I make a pass down and a pass back up, and I'm done. I end up with nice snow banks off to the side. You just can't get it done that quick and clean with an FEL. At the very least, I'd look into the combination of an FEL and rear blade before using only the FEL.

I still think that based on where the OP lives, a blower is the way to go. If I had more snow, it's what I'd use for sure. Most of our storms here are 12" or less, most in the 6-8" range really. That's well within the capability of a rear blade. In rare cases more snow falls, I know to get out there after 8" is on the ground and then come back later for the rest. It's easier to clear in shifts than try to handle it all at once. Another reason a blower is good. Snow isn't too deep until it's over the top of the blower....

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #18  
OP has a blower now. I assume it's a front mount. I was wondering if OP can keep it and put it on the new machine via the 3 point. I assume it would take some modification. I admit I don't know much about blowers but I would figure someone would weigh in on that aspect.

Last edited:
   / Clearing snow w/ front loader #19  
I live in NE Ohio right in the snow belt. I do all my plowing with my front end loader exclusively. I plow my drive and several neighbors. It works very well. You can push scoop or pile snow to get it out of the way. If for some reason you run out of room all you have to do is push the piles back with your loader. I am the neighbor that goes around and pushes the frozen piles at the ends of other neighbors drives because they are out of room to help them out. No problem.

20160112_121243 (450x800).jpg

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #20  
I've tried various solutions/combos for past 15 years on our 900' gravel lane. Would rank them from best to worse.

1. Snow blower
2. Front blade
3. Rear blade
4. FEL