Clearing snow w/ front loader

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #1  

coachgrd

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1870
I currently have a JD 455 with the 47" blower. It's been amazing clearing some enormous lake effect snow falls. I am considering a new machine (something along the lines of the Kubota BX series.) I can't see being in a position to afford a front loader and a blower, so I am thinking it may come to clearing snow with the front loader. I would think it's going to be a little more time consuming and maybe not as clean as the blower but I'm getting to an age where lifting 8 yards of bark mulch and cords of firewood no longer agree with my back. What can you guys share with me regarding snow removal with a front loader? Am I going to miss the blower?

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #2  
I guess it depends on whether you have room to pile snow or not. Without the blower you will have snow piles. With snow piles you need a place to put them and still leave enough room to pile snow from the next storm. The loader bucket will do fine moving snow. You will have to make sure you push the snow back far enough before piling so you have room for the next snow.
Your back will thank you for getting a loader.

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #3  
Try this-

The Edge Tamer - YouTube

If you go with the loader and those don't work for you- it's beans and rice till you can replace the blower!!
Can you use the blower from your old machine? Maybe 3 point? I don't know much about blowers but I assume it could be modified to work. Old blower on new machine with loader would be a nice setup!!

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader
Try this-

The Edge Tamer - YouTube

If you go with the loader and those don't work for you- it's beans and rice till you can replace the blower!!
Can you use the blower from your old machine? Maybe 3 point? I don't know much about blowers but I assume it could be modified to work. Old blower on new machine with loader would be a nice setup!!

Wow, is that slick!

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader
I guess it depends on whether you have room to pile snow or not. Without the blower you will have snow piles. With snow piles you need a place to put them and still leave enough room to pile snow from the next storm. The loader bucket will do fine moving snow. You will have to make sure you push the snow back far enough before piling so you have room for the next snow.
Your back will thank you for getting a loader.

Plenty of room to pile snow!

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #6  
I wouldn't want a loader as my primary snow removal tool. I also would not be without a loader. Maybe consider a FEL combined with a rear blade or blower, giving you more options.
I plowed for years with a FEL and rear blade / blower, and it was a great setup imho. This year I added an ssqa front blade, and a cab tractor.
I believe Kubota has added ssqa capabilities to some of the bx tractors, so there should be more light weight plow options in the near future.

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #7  
With lake effect snows and a small BX bucket you will be moving snow for days. If you are not opposed to rear mount blower they are significantly less money and can be used on tractor with with the same size three point and PTO.

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #8  
Your going to miss your blower in BIG way when snow lake storms come a knocking,bucket you'll need to make sure snow banks are keep way back.
FEL for other chores will come in handy your bones and muscle will be thanking your...it's one of those dang if you don't dang if you do,go w/your gut feelings.

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #9  
I have a 59 snow blower for the front of my 4410. Previous to that I cleared snow with the front end loader. (I still can if I need to.) What took me 4 hours to clean up with the front end loader I can usually do in about an hour with the snow blower.

I don't like the fact that I can't have both the front snow blower and the fel on the tractor at the same time. At this point in time I can't afford a second tractor so I'll live with the situation.. In hind sight what I should have done was set up a 47 snow blower on my F-935. I just didn't think of it at the time.

/ Clearing snow w/ front loader #10  
Get a rear blade before forcing yourself to use the front loader. That is a tedious and slow way to clear snow. Rear blade is much better. Neither as good as a blower though. If I got as much snow as you I'd get a blower for sure.