Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #1  

joesco

Silver Member
Folks, I've search the various forums and could not find anyone who has converted a pin frame of a snow plow to a quick attach plate.

I'm converting my Kubota L2900 to Quick Attach and need some advice on the proper way to attach the plow frame to the QA plate.

Thoughts, use steel channel, 4" tubing, bolt the steel stock to the plate or weld?

Any help is greatly appreciated and pictures will be very helpful.

Thanks very much!

Joe S.

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #2  
Some people weld plow pin mounts to the QA plate and a grab hook at the top for the lift chain so the plow can hang on the QA just like it would on a truck.
Mine is welded to the QA plate and I use the loader arms to set it level on the ground. The angle on mine is controlled from hoses off the rear remotes. The plow has a built in trip edge.

Attachments

• DSCN1403 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1403 (Medium).JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 2,280
   / Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #3  
Here's how I did mine.4"tube steel across the adapter plate,4" vertical for the chain.Pivots on the lower connection so the "plow"floats ,not the FEL.Better for uneven surfaces.My vertical piece is extra long(doesn't need it for the plow),I was going to use it for a boom pole.

Attachments

• 100_0818.jpg
    100_0818.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 1,529
  • snow plow frame 001.jpg
    snow plow frame 001.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 460
   / Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #4  
Just an FYI to the OP. This summer I'm going to redo my plow similar to birdman's.
I don't use the loader float mode because the weight of the loader arms and plow blade are too heavy.
As mine is now (fixed) I lower the loader arms until the blade touches ground then bump it up an inch or so to plow. My current configuration would work fine on a paved driveway but not good for a gravel drive. I'm going to do mine so just the blade floats. That is the way it would be on a truck plow and IMO should be that way for a tractor.

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #5  
I have feet on my blade and find floating the FEL works very well. I can make easy micro adjustments with curl. I had this discussion in a previous post. No feet and floating the FEL would be tough- especially on gravel.

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #6  
Those with a solid hook-up(float the FEL) ,I would think would be o.k. on hard surfaces(asphalt/concrete) but for dirt and gravel,like I have ,floating the plow works much better.I.M.H.O.
Either way it's a lot better than a shovel!

Only thing I should have done different is shorten it up some and may do it yet.Even at 7,000 lbs.and R1 tires it can push the back around under some conditions.

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #7  
I had some spare time today and no major snow in the forecast so I decided to start the conversion of my plow from fixed blade to floating blade. I got my welds cut off to separate the QA plate and used the grinder to clean it up the remaining welds. Man, that 1/2" thick QA plate is heavy. Tomorrow I have to buy some hardware and build or buy a new pair of saw horses. The weight of the plate broke my cheapie HF ones. They are supposed to hold 200 lbs. but I found they wouldn't even hold my 150 lb. plate. I made some 1/2" thick brackets that will slide in the plow as shown and be bolted in place (the original eyes were cut off).

Attachments

• DSCN1971 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1971 (Medium).JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 420
  • DSCN1970 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1970 (Medium).JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 549
  • DSCN1972 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1972 (Medium).JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCN1973 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1973 (Medium).JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
   / Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #8  
An advantage of the floating plow vice loader frame setup that has not been mentioned is steerability/traction on the front tires. Floating the loader takes it's weight off the front tires and therefore they lose traction and push sideways instead of steering, a common issue with tractor mounted plows. Removing that weight from the cutting edge and/or plow shoes also reduces the chance of damage to the surface.

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #9  
As mentioned.....the "better" way to mount in my opinion is to float the plow and not make it a rigid SSQA setup.

Tractors dont like going forward with the loader in float. Have you ever tried it with just the loader bucket? Tractor tries to drive up over the loader and you end up with the front wheels in the air.

Too retain plow lift, just weld on some tabs and make it a pin on connection. the a post up top for the chain drop

/ Advice needed please Converting a Curtis snow plow pin frame to a quick attach #10  
I watched a video of the "guru"of fabrication ,snow plowing with a fixed plow 4 Shorts.Not knocking him at all,he is very talented.What I noticed with his fixed plow he was constantly adjusting up/down to keep the front wheels down,he plows on concrete or asphalt almost exclusively.Again not criticizing ,just more ways than one way to skin a cat.