Snow Attachments Snow PUMP

/ Snow PUMP #1  

fitterski

Gold Member
Tractor
1987 Cat-426, 1991 Deutz-Dx-6.05, 2019 Husqvarna 2xHP
I have this project and am starting to get dizzy trying to keep up with all the different threads on different forums according to the subsystem involved. I will attempt to concentrate the general topic to this appropriate forum.

The initial project now serving it's 8th season:

Deutz powered JD Snow Blower from Hell 29 - YouTube
http://trixtar.org/3/tinkerings/blower/blower.html

The next "wide-open" upgrade in the oven, for now just
a doodle-sheet:

http://trixtar.org/3/tinkerings/blower2/blower2.html

I've already sprayed articles into 2 other forums about it, for those who might wanna get spooled up. The general objective is to blow snow at a higher speed and farther, much higher and much farther, to leave power-margin for tons of soaking wet slush.

/ Snow PUMP #2  
I give you high marks for using the 4 cylinder air cooled Duetz engine, The paint job UGH, you should have kept it grey.

You should spend your money on building a single stage snow clearer using the Duetz engine and buying a couple of surplus scrapped conveyor pulleys and welding flighting to it to create a single stage snow clearer. If you want to see a kick *** single stage snow caster look at AEBI and WESTA snow blowers to see simplicity and power as they use a right angle one to one gearbox.

You can add a slip clutch on the gearbox end and have a snow caster that will rotate twice as fast with great power and throw the snow much further than you do now.

Last edited:
   / Snow PUMP #3  
Higher, farther, faster; just requires a faster turning blower and lots more HP. The sise of the discharge will dictate the HP.

/ Snow PUMP #4  
That Deer 270 was made by McKee and is their 720 model. McKee made blowers for Deer, New Idea, and others. They made variants too. I saw a McKee 720 with motor made by McKee for wheel loaders sell at an action.

Last edited:
   / Snow PUMP
That Deer 270 was made by McKee and is there 720 model. McKee made blowers for Deer, New Idea, and others. They made variants too. I saw a McKee 720 with motor made by McKee for wheel loaders sell at an action.

i bought it used and unless i'm mistaken it was part of a 'kit' by JD, the owner wanted to keep the tractor part. I knew absolutely nothing about blowers then, the biggest i'd ever had was a honda :)

/ Snow PUMP
Higher, farther, faster; just requires a faster turning blower and lots more HP. The sise of the discharge will dictate the HP.

yeh ok, i buy that, xcept i'd rather see the HP dictate the size :)

i CANNOT have a snowbank if i want nature to keep my convex road clear, that's why i have to blow it all over to the second neighbor so he'll think it was the first one :)

/ Snow PUMP
I give you high marks for using the 4 cylinder air cooled Duetz engine, The paint job UGH,
you should have kept it grey.

You should spend your money on building a single stage snow clearer using the Duetz Engine and buying couple of surplus scrapped conveyor pulleys and welding flighting to it to create a single stage snow clearer. If you want to see a kick *** single stage snow caster look at AEBI and WESTA snow blowers to see simplicity and power as
they use a right angle one to one gearbox.

You can add a slip clutch on the gearbox end and have a snow caster that will rotate twice as fast with great power and throw the snow much further than you do now.

it WAS yellow when i bought it, see the vid. This engine is underpowered for my needs, plus i can sell it any day for a good price so it would offset any new expenses. As far as the single-stage, it's on the table, i ain't said no to the idea yet.

/ Snow PUMP #8  
i bought it used and unless i'm mistaken it was part of a 'kit' by JD, the owner wanted to keep the tractor part. I knew absolutely nothing about blowers then, the biggest i'd ever had was a honda :)

I have a McKee 720. Since McKee has been out of business, I found a Deer 270 service manual on eBay so I knew what part numbers to cross-reference for my McKee blower.

Here is a McKee 720 blower fitting with an engine for wheel loaders. McKee 72 Snow Blower For Sale | AgDealer.com

/ Snow PUMP
I have a McKee 720. Since McKee has been out of business, I found a Deer 270 service manual on eBay so I knew what part numbers to cross-reference for my McKee blower.

I can roll my own now, I'll just buy a ready-made auger when all else is done, the fan I'll just copy-and-resize from the two that I have evaluated as being the best sofar. If either one has the size I want then I'll buy that.

/ Snow PUMP
You have three threads about this project, thats make it hard to follow. I looked at your backhoe blower video. The little deutz engine ...

I know the 3 threads are a PITA, I'm migrating what I can here to the Snow Removal forum which is what I shudda done in the first place! 72 hp @ 2250 is what I get outta my deutz, the reduction being 2.5:1 that puts around 370 ft-lbs of torque into the fan. And THAT is GROSSLY INADEQUATE. That's the reason I'm thinking of redoing the beast. My road is 2200 feet long, raised some 2-3 feet and convex which means that so longs as I build NO snow-banks on the sides the wind keeps it clear. For this I have to toss a minimum of 100 feet to the side but to do that with less than dry snow I really have to aim for 200. I can do about 50-60 now, downwind I get 100, wet snow I do 20 and use words you don't wanna hear.

The machine AND myself are doing this for the 8th season now. I know exactly what I need. What I do not know yet is how to get there without overspending while getting a FAR better rig into the fight. I just tested my little calculator to update my very dynamic doodle page with some VmMotori data.

http://trixtar.org/3/tinkerings/blower2/blower2.html

That v6 diesel reduced the same 2.5:1 would give me about 800 ft-lbs, which I consider the minimum or the whole project ain't worth bothering with. And while those engines are just beginning to arrive into the scrap yards I'm actually aiming for over 1200 ft-lbs, cost and opportunity will play the cards. I intend to improve my calculator and use it a L O T before I spend one penny. When I was planning the existing rig in 2009 it didn't become the resounding success it did because I'm that smart but because I spent many a long night on the Gates belt simulator, not long hours, long NIGHTS. At this stage I'm only scratching the surface, kinda like when you walk through the gate of a scrapyard, not knowing what you'll find.

I have to learn and know ALL there is to know while waiting for deals. Example: A Duramax good runner goes for 4k, a tranny with it another 700. The other day I found a pair with only 60k miles for $2000, AND when the deal got closed I got the WHOLE truck for another $200 plus $500 shipping, like new. The bugger then found a ready cash client on-site and I was out of it. It's OK, I can be patient. $10k pumps sometimes are had for 1/5 that.

Leaving some margin if I used 65hp from my deutz at 2000rpm I would need a 2.6 cu-in pump @5000psi. All these #'s are ballpark. I'd need a 7.5 cu-in motor at 700 delivering maybe 500 torque, hardly more than what I'm getting now.

Back to the controls, I'll get what I want it's no rocket science, it's just I have to explore different topics that I've never seen before ..like anything hydraulic.