Snow Attachments Help..snowblower frozen solid in the morning. Cannot turn by hand. Seems frozen.

/ Help..snowblower frozen solid in the morning. Cannot turn by hand. Seems frozen. #11  
so will springtime :laughing:

/ Help..snowblower frozen solid in the morning. Cannot turn by hand. Seems frozen. #12  
Ran heavy equipment and if you did not get the crane up on something the tracks would freeze to the ground and you would need to be there a hour early with the propane weed burner. Starting the blower like you are doing is hard on the tractor and blower. Gear case could be full of ice, but how did water get in the case? Heater and a tarp will be cheap in the long run.

/ Help..snowblower frozen solid in the morning. Cannot turn by hand. Seems frozen. #13  
I might try an electric space heater, hair dryer or even a heat gun before anything with a flame on it.

/ Help..snowblower frozen solid in the morning. Cannot turn by hand. Seems frozen. #14  
I might try an electric space heater, hair dryer or even a heat gun before anything with a flame on it.
What could possibly go wrong with a propane weedburner that will throw a flame out 3' past the end of the wand?

Aaron Z

/ Help..snowblower frozen solid in the morning. Cannot turn by hand. Seems frozen. #15  
Is this a front mount or 3pt blower (I didn't see it listed). If it's a front mount then you have more places that could be an issue. On my front mount Kubota snowblower there's a gear box that reduces the PTO speed and a second that has two output shafts (one for the fan and the other for the auger). Then you have the sub frame with the pto shaft that has a couple universal joints (I doubt they are your problem). I think I might remove both sheer bolts so only the gear box(s) are turning. That would eliminate the auger chain, the bearings on the auger, and ice on the auger/ fan. It would be an easy test. If I remember correctly the fill plug on my gearbox is also a breather. I would also check it for damage and look for some other way for water to get in. I would think that if you had a bad seal it would leak oil out of the gear box when in operation.

As for what others have said about warming up before using it, I would only do that as a very short term solution. If you do have enough water in your gearbox to cause it to freeze solid then you are at serious risk of doing damage. Freezing water could break the gearbox casing. Water will cause the metal to rust which will mix in with the water. Water alone is bad for bearings and gear surfaces, adding in rust will accelerate their wearing.