Plow & Rear Blade vs Plow & Backhoe

/ Plow & Rear Blade vs Plow & Backhoe #1  

Komrade

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 HST
My neighbor recommended I keep the backhoe on for weight (as well as to get myself out of a pickle if I get stuck).

The weight does seem to help, especially with wet/heavy snow, but becomes a bit of a burden when going uphill.

I thought of using the read blade to help manicure behind me, but I am not sure I'd be able to keep an eye on both the blade and the plow, as due to uneven terrain I constantly have to adjust (especially when ground is not frozen).

What's your preference? Do you use a rear blade in conjunction with a plow?

/ Plow & Rear Blade vs Plow & Backhoe #2  
I sometimes use my back blade along with my snowblower on front. The blower is 48" and the blade is 5ft. When the drive has been rutted but there is snow on it, I use the blower and drop the back blade on an angle to scrap the ruts, or at least knock the high ridges off. Also I might use the back blade to pull snow away from garage doors, etc. Rear tires are loaded and have rear wheel weights, don't need the back blade for traction. But most of my drives are flat, only one is sloped down fro the road. Don't have traction problems there either. Jon

/ Plow & Rear Blade vs Plow & Backhoe #3  
I had a back blade for by old L3200. Added hydraulic angle to it as well. Built a small manual angle truck plow with a SAW A mount. Ran both briefly then ended up selling the back blade. Got a 60" 3pt blower for when the blade wasn't enough (under 20% of the time)

I now have a Snow Dawg hydraulic angle plow for my cabbed L4060. Don't know how it works due to a lack of snow this year. Miss the back blade for a couple impending ditching jobs in dirt. Don't miss it for snow, no advantages over my front plow.

I'm wondering if I should find a 3pt blower for backup on the 72" wide L4060, but again, no decent snow this year.

/ Plow & Rear Blade vs Plow & Backhoe #4  
I have and use both a front and rear blades.The rear mostly for pulling snow away from doors ect.It does do a nice job on paved drives.

/ Plow & Rear Blade vs Plow & Backhoe #5  
As weight goes, nothing comes close to having the BH on the back of the tractor. But if I don't need it, I tend to use the box blade for counterbalance instead. My backblade isn't very heavy at all, and though I can't angle it, the box does a fine job of pushing snow backwards, and I can drop it and drag snow away from things going forward too.

If you're worried about getting stuck on icy patches, pick up a set of chains for the front, or get some of the cool tire screws for ice. (Or just run in some hex head sheet metal screws)

/ Plow & Rear Blade vs Plow & Backhoe #6  
I had a back blade for by old L3200. Added hydraulic angle to it as well. Built a small manual angle truck plow with a SAW A mount. Ran both briefly then ended up selling the back blade. Got a 60" 3pt blower for when the blade wasn't enough (under 20% of the time)

I now have a Snow Dawg hydraulic angle plow for my cabbed L4060. Don't know how it works due to a lack of snow this year. Miss the back blade for a couple impending ditching jobs in dirt. Don't miss it for snow, no advantages over my front plow.

I'm wondering if I should find a 3pt blower for backup on the 72" wide L4060, but again, no decent snow this year.
I got to use my hydraulic front blade for the second time yesterday, and it was awesome. For the early morning here I had a rear 72" blower mounted because I was expecting more snow. The combination worked well, as it also did when I switched the rear to a 84" hydraulic rear blade with side plates.

/ Plow & Rear Blade vs Plow & Backhoe #7  
I like plow front and back setup,as nybirdman said.

/ Plow & Rear Blade vs Plow & Backhoe #8  
We have a 7ft rear blade but its just not heavy enough to balance out the heavy plow I run up front. In the past 5 years I've used the rear blade maybe 3 times for snow, always to scrape a packed surface. I'd much rather plow with either the BH on the back or the ballast box. The narrow width on the back is more friendly around parked vehicles too. If you have a BH92, BE SURE NOT TO CONNECT THE BACKHOE HYDRAULICS if you are using a rear remote to angle your snowplow. You will (eventually) trash your BH valve stack seals.