/ Single Stage snow throwers from Canada #1  

leonz

Tractor
JD LA115, WH 244, Troy Built Horse 8 HP
I chatted with the Reist Industries folks in Elmira, Ontario, Ca
today to ask about their snow casters.

The Series 1000 48 inch wide 540 PTO single stage snow throwers were $2,750+
options and taxes and freight.

It comes standard with a manual chute rotation and manual adjustment of the spout angle
and it runs between 450-500 revolutions per minute under load at 540 RPM

The drive and driven sprockets can be changed if desired to better manage the snow conditions you "have".
The sprockets are secured with locking ring compression rings(Ringfedder type) to secure them in place.

The only thing I did not like was that the tensioning sprocket that is attached to the rubber torsion arm
is mounted on the top of the roller chain between the drive and driven sprockets.
I can see why they did it though in order to reduce the shock loading on the roller chain under load.

On the IHC 12 horse CUB we had used roller drive chain that was under tension at all times and the chain was replaced if it
stretched if I remember the manual correctly.

SO to do battle with the elements you can have the following options added:

1. hydraulic chute rotation; The hydraulic motor is on a spring tensioned mounting plate under the guard
to maintain chain tension on the roller chain. The roller chain is a longer link roller which lets them cut
larger gear teeth to make it easier to rotate by hand with the standard manual rotation included in the price.
2. hydraulic spout control
3 hydraulic motor drive for a high flow skid steer system
4. skid steer mounting plate and hydraulic motor hardware for a skid steer loader
The hydraulic motor replaces the right angle gear box to rotate the cross shaft
that rotates the drive chain that spins the single stage cross auger
5. they also offer a set up with a gear pump mounted to the rear PTO shaft
and a hydraulic reservoir that is attached under the bottom step of the tractor

By the looks of it you can add the hydraulic doodads later with zero issues too.

The only thing it lacked was a slick sheet lined chute and spout but that can be added easily using
the flat head washer bolts to attach slick linings sold by Gemplers.

They have not thought about mounting one of these units on a RTV with a hydraulic power pack
as the tank would be very large and require a big engine to power the gear pump

In a sincere nod to Muhammad and a Shameless Plug for TBN I mentioned to them that they should
advertise their product line on TBN.

View attachment 1000 Series Snow Blower manual May 2012.pdf

Last edited:
   / Single Stage snow throwers from Canada #2  
Is that $2750 CDN or US ?

/ Single Stage snow throwers from Canada
Hello FatTire,

My telephone line connection is poor due to mice in the junction box up the
road but I believe its in Canadian dollars.

reist8.jpgreist4.jpgreist3.jpgreist9.jpgreist5.jpgreist7.jpgreist2.jpg

Attachments

• reist1.jpg
    reist1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
One could purchase one of the two offered JD/Frontier 3 point hitch power packs down here and really make some money clearing snow using a front end loader with skid steer quick attach plate to mount their series 1000 48 inch single or larger stage snow caster or one of the larger series 2000 units.

Last edited:
One could purchase a 3 point hitch power pack down here and really make some money clearing snow using a loader as the 48 inch unit would require a very large engine driven single stage gear or vane pump powered hydraulic system with a tank larger than the pump volume and using 12 volt radiator fan oil cooler.

Mounting a wider series 1000 or 2000 on a three point hitch would be the better option price wise.

/ Single Stage snow throwers from Canada #6  
What are the advantages of a single stage blower over a 2 stage?

/ Single Stage snow throwers from Canada #7  
Two advantages are that single stages tend to clog less and they are a bit more efficient in terms of horsepower required. Right now I have one of each, and it isn't clear to me why 2-stage blowers completely dominate the 3 point market. In many situations where 2 stage blowers work well, plowing can be a viable alternative if you can live with the banks. But when you really need a single stage blower, like for hard packed snow, nothing else will do.

EDIT: I should add that in the relatively rare case where a chute on a big single stage blower does get clogged, it can be a real son of a &^^%% to clear it out. And in normal winter temps you have to work fast, because that stuff is going to refreeze and then you'll be wishing for a heated workspace.

/ Single Stage snow throwers from Canada #8  
I disagree. I will take a 2 stage blower over a single stage any day. I never had a problem with them clogging and I think 2 stage blowers throw the snow further.

With either, speed and feed, depending on the snow conditions (depth of snow, heavy wet or light fluffy, hard packed or loose, etc.) is the key to prevent clogging.

/ Single Stage snow throwers from Canada #10  

From what I read, I don't see any either. I am about to purchase a Blizzard with manual shute for $2,700 plus tax. I have been looking at all of them and it seems to me the Blizzard is a rugged unit compared to most. A 54 inch Blizzard weights in at 513lbs, I looked at one today on the side of a same size 366lb Meteor and to me the Meteor is a cheaper, tinnier blower. They seem to have issues with the Meteor and most people like them but for me the extra $450 is worth me buying the Blizzard. The only thing I like better on the Meteor is the square tube pinned clearance feet, I don't care for the edge feet that need a wrench for adjustment but I guess I'll live with it or install what I want later if they are a pain to switch quickly.