Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #51  
I plow with the ATV at the beginning of the season and when the snow is fairly light, and then use the rear blower on my BX25 when things get really serious. And the FEL with the bxpanded.com bucket expander makes short work of any built-up snowbanks.

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #52  
Not me. I have too much road. Blowing is only for blowing back banks.

I'm in your camp. I plow whenever there isn't too much snow, and look forward to when there is too much.

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #53  
I use my loader all year but other tasks aside, I still would not be without it for clearing snow. It's especially helpful for removing pack, like when a vehicle has driven over the fresh snow and then the temperature rises and falls suddenly again. I also use it for the first few snowfalls to make sure I've collected everything that would otherwise cost me a shear-pin (and swear jar money). Likewise, when the snowplow driver cuts a little "deep" and I end up with a nice mix of snow, gravel, and sod at the end of the driveway. When there's not a lot of accumulation, I'll use the loader as a plow to make a pile (@ about 1800 RPM and HST High) and then use the blower to clear it.

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #54  
I use my loader all year but other tasks aside, I still would not be without it for clearing snow. It's especially helpful for removing pack, like when a vehicle has driven over the fresh snow and then the temperature rises and falls suddenly again. I also use it for the first few snowfalls to make sure I've collected everything that would otherwise cost me a shear-pin (and swear jar money). Likewise, when the snowplow driver cuts a little "deep" and I end up with a nice mix of snow, gravel, and sod at the end of the driveway. When there's not a lot of accumulation, I'll use the loader as a plow to make a pile (@ about 1800 RPM and HST High) and then use the blower to clear it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bonjour Looch,

Mon Ami,

you are so right about the plow trucks. They use much to much salt here in New York and they love to make ice dams on the shoulders that plug up the culverts and the drains and also block the driveways in the name of COMMERCE.

I am planning on buying a Yamaha snow blower and I am torn between the YS1028J or the YT1332ED to finally fix their sorry A)(*&^&*()(*sses as the John Deere LA115 is not up to the job and never has been.I will probably trick it out with the pair of HID LED lights that they have as an accessory when I get it.

I am hoping the YS1028J will be equipped with steering brakes by the time I purchase it as the YT1332ED is the only model that has them as the american made walk behinds cannot hold a candle to them.

I always hope to find a ZAUGG snow bear to invest in and clean driveways to make money with it and get all my money back quick in a heavy snow year.

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #55  
I was not even aware that Yamaha made blowers. I suppose if you're beyond your run-of-the-mill retail offerings, then it becomes a case of dealer support - much like our tractors. If I was looking for a walk behind, it would be tough for me to ignore the Husqvarna dealer that I pass every day on my way to work.

As far as beasts go, I've always been impressed by the fan-type blowers (like Fair MFG). Some municipalities around here use them to remove the banks created by the sidewalk plows. They give me the willies.

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #56  
Everyone has been copying the Beilhack designs rather than becoming an authorized Beilhack builder using their designs since the Beilhack Patents lapsed.

If you really want to see a bunch of frozen cow chewing machines working you can google Beilhack railway snow clearer's.
I have a couple of images that I have uploaded in the snow removal page.

The single stage Beilhack machines in any power class put the Leslie rotary plows and all the larger two stage units to shame as they are self propelled and the four largest units being the HB900S, HB1000S, HB1200S, HB1600S have three V 12 Turbo charged and after cooled water cooled Duetz engines in the newer machines. The original engines that were offered as original equipment up until a early in the last decade were Mercedes Benz V-12 water cooled turbo charged and after cooled diesel engines.

leonz

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #57  
I'm a rear mount Snowblower advocate, because I still use my FEL to move manure during the winter...:)
JD855 with Blizzard.jpgmoving manure in the winter.jpg

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #58  
Some people with front mounted snow blowers have experienced powder snow clogging the radiators with some snow actually finding its way into the air filter.

I drove a gravel truck for many years and know how to use Westcoast mirrors, and you can even get them with built in heaters to keep them from fogging up on you. I mounted one on my tractor with a rear mounted snowblower.

heater.png

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #59  
Sounds like our storm here yesterday. My Kubota L2250 with a plow mounted to the bucket would have been my choice for the wet snow, but it was getting hydraulic work done on it. Instead I started out with my MF GC2300 with a 50" blower on the front. Made one pass down my 800 ft driveway, the blower broke 2 inner auger bolts and one inside that drives the 2nd stage. I parked it and got my BCS 725 28" single stage blower out and cleared the driveway. It took some time but I had no problems with the heavy snow.