Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #1  

KanakaRick

Silver Member
Tractor
KIoti DK50S
Just bought my neighbor's Kioti DK50 and been plowing my 1.5 mile long driveway with it this year. Considering getting a blower next year and wanted to know the pros/cons of the front mount to the rear mount. I am thinking with a front mount I can leave the box scraper on the back to quickly push piles while blowing with the front. It is not uncommon to get 4' snowfalls here and a couple of times last year I had to make 2 passes with the blade to get down to the road because of so much snow. Anyone have any experience comparing the two? Ideally, I'd like to get a hyrdaulic front blower, but I need to make some money this summer to afford that, so most likely I'd be looking at a pto for the front.

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #2  
Rear blower is cheaper but a pain in the neck. Front blower is awesome except for the price. You really shouldn't push with the 3pt. Do you have a mid or front pto or just the rear?

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount
To my knowledge it has a front pto. I only use the scraper box to move small piles of snow off the bottom of the driveway and not to plow the road; I use it more like a finish tool when using the blade in front. Was just curious about using a blower instead on the front and to keep the box on the back for quick pushing situations. Also, as a tag-on, curious about the best blowers for thick, heavy west coast snows on a 50hp turbo tractor (front or rear).

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #4  
Good habits then! My step dad has the kubota front blower on his BX and it works great. It does sit pretty low to the ground, but its almost enjoyable to blow snow as long as the wind isn't blowing the wrong direction and its not bitter cold out.

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #5  
A 1.5 mile long driveway is going to be a huge killer on your neck if you go with a rear mount. Take some time and make a run up and down your driveway in reverse at snowblowing speed to see what it would be like before committing. I think you will find it will answer your question.

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount
A 1.5 mile long driveway is going to be a huge killer on your neck if you go with a rear mount. Take some time and make a run up and down your driveway in reverse at snowblowing speed to see what it would be like before committing. I think you will find it will answer your question.

Trust me, I know what it is like. I have been blowing it with the rear 3pt for over 15 years with a friend's 21 hp New Holland Tractor that he loans me in the winter. Having an enclosed cab has been a godsend this winter. The front plow was nice until we got the 4' dump which made it a bit more difficult as the snow on the side of the road was also 5' high. The good news is my other neighbor has a CAT skidsteer with a blower too that I could use, but honestly I really dislike driving the skidsteer as the visibility sucks and I cannot tell if the blower is blowing gravel or 2" off the road; so I thought getting a front blower would be nice, because I then could gauge the height of the blower off the road and drive in the comfort of a warm cab, looking forward. Any recommendations for decent blowers for heavy, deep west coast snow, for a 50 hp turbo tractor?

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #7  
I prefer rear blowers. They are cheaper, and much easier to hook up and detach. I know a lot of folks don't like backing up, but for whatever reason it doesn't bother me at all. Also, highly unlikely your machine has the hydraulic flow required to power a front mount blower. I know my L4060 doesn't have the gpm flow required.

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #8  
I have a JD 4110 with a front blower. There is no way I would go for a rear. (Of course, I am 84 and I hate going backward) My blower is pto driven with hydro for raising and turning the chute. I have a back blade that I leave on and windrow the one to three inch snowfalls--the one pass with the blower to get rid of it, As far as putting it on and off, I can take my FEL off and put the blower on in fifteen minutes--NO TOOLS.

/ Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #9  
Just bought my neighbor's Kioti DK50 and been plowing my 1.5 mile long driveway with it this year. Considering getting a blower next year and wanted to know the pros/cons of the front mount to the rear mount. I am thinking with a front mount I can leave the box scraper on the back to quickly push piles while blowing with the front. It is not uncommon to get 4' snowfalls here and a couple of times last year I had to make 2 passes with the blade to get down to the road because of so much snow. Anyone have any experience comparing the two? Ideally, I'd like to get a hyrdaulic front blower, but I need to make some money this summer to afford that, so most likely I'd be looking at a pto for the front.

===================================================================================

I can tell you with my 47+ years of experience with wet heavy eastern snows that a front or rear mount single stage will handle all your snow.

my JDLA115 with its "wonderful" 2 stage snow blower belt driven snow blower died in the middle of Winter Storm Stella with 16 inches plus of melted wet snow on my 2 car driveway.

I brought out my trusty 11 year old single stage Toro Snow Pup CCR2000 with the Power Curve Paddle and it barely grunted getting rid of the snow and did not use a quart of 25 to one mixed gas.

The single stage series 1000, 2000, and 3000 snow throwers built by Riest Industries in Elmira, Ontario, Canada are
very well built and lighter in weight than the available rear mount 2 stage snow blowers.

All three series models can be converted to hydraulic drive by just removing the gearbox and installing the hydraulic motor to replace the right angle gearbox.

All three units have a single chain drive that is tensioned with a torflex rubber arm to tension the drive chain with a roller chain sprocket.

A single stage rear or front mount uses 20 percent less power or more than two stage snow blower.

I wish I still had our original 1968 12 horsepower IHC hydro Cub Cadet with the single stage snow blower.
I never never never had issues clearing snow and it worked very well on a steep paved driveway.

Now, just so you know its going to cost you a small fortune to purchase a hydraulic power pack for a hydraulic drive blower "Plus" the cost of the hydraulic drive 2 stage snow blower itself.

The other issue is how much more work is needed for your current mule if you want to mount it up front.
1.running hydraulic hoses from the hydraulic power pack
2. hydraulic rotation of the chute "function"
3. hydraulic control of the spout angle function

Both 2 and 3 are really needed when clearing to save time and labor.

You also have to have an under frame mount to attach the PTO Shaft to the snow caster from the rear PTO if you choose to use the rear PTO for the front snow blower and adequate clearance to run the PTO shaft to the implement with a second shorter PTO shaft.

The Riest Industries folks have also uploaded some videos describing their snow blowers too.

I have uploaded some images of the Riest Series One single snow throwers in Canadian snow thrower thread I started.

I will post some more images of the series 1,000, 2000 and 3000 series models I mentioned.

The series 1000 models have the 13 inch rotor, The series 2000 models have the 24 inch rotor and the series 3000 models have the 30 inch rotor

The series 1000 snow throwers require 15-25 horse power, the series 2000 snow throwers require 25-55 horse power and the series 3000 snow throwers require 40-100 horse power.

The first image is the front mount option of their series 2000 single stage.
The second image is a rear mount of the series 3000 single stage thrower.
The third image is of the series 1000 rear mount snow thrower.

You wont have to push anything back as long as you can throw the snow away to clear the road.

They have a neat video of a 42 inch single stage "Rolba type design rotor" snow thrower used by a sidewalk clearing landscape contractor mounted on the front of a cabbed Steiner tractor used to clear sidewalks in Elmira, Ontario, Canada.

All three models can be equipped with a quick attach plate using the three point hitch on the snow thrower to convert them to use hydraulic drive.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Reist Industries

Attachments

• reist4.jpg
    reist4.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,295
  • Reist series 2000 front mount.jpg
    Reist series 2000 front mount.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 2,007
  • Reist Rear Mount Series 3000 snow thrower.jpg
    Reist Rear Mount Series 3000 snow thrower.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,337
Last edited:
   / Pros/Cons of Front Mount Snowblower vs Rear Mount #10  
KanakaRick,I think you got the answer in your original post. Front mounted blower and a back blade in the rear. After owning a rear mounted blower for years, I purchased a front mounted blower. Couldn't be happier.

I prefer a two stage blower but I'm not going to get into a P....n contest as to which is best like in another recent thread on this forum. All I will add, all two stage blowers are not built alike, just as all single stage blowers are not built alike. To each their own. ;)