Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Tips for removal snow w/ front loader

/ Tips for removal snow w/ front loader #1  

coachgrd

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1870
I had to say goodbye to an old workhorse, my beloved John Deere 455. I used it to blow my 180' driveway here in NW Pa where we get L-O-T-S of lake effect snow...often times it comes in feet before Lake Erie freezes over. The 455 would just laugh at the snow, ripping through it every. single. time. Anyway, I decided to go with something with a front loader in order to save my back and purchased a Kubota 1870, and traded in the 455 in the process. A blower was not in budget so I'll be clearing all this snow with the front loader. What can challenges can I expect clearing the white stuff in this manner other than its probably going to take more time?
Thanks in advance...
Gary

/ Tips for removal snow w/ front loader #2  
Deep snow and a small loader is a frustrating experience - kind of how I feel about eating crab. This may sound patronizingly obvious, but if the load resistance is greater than the "oomph" factor (a scientific term representing the forward vector affected by tractor weight, friction coefficient, and kinetic energy) you won't exactly be Lightening McQueen. In other words, if the tractor is backed up against a wall and there is 2 feet of snow immediately in front of the bucket, the only option is going to be scoop, advance, dump.

The other issue is snow banks. By February they will be high. And if your weather is similar, you will have had a few freeze/thaw events effectively turning them into a seemingly immovable mass. Makes for a sometimes exhilarating driveway exit.

I suppose the memory of winter is too young for me to be anything but pessimistic - I apologize. Try me again in October.

BTW, I spent a good bit of time deer hunting around Johnsonburg (Wilcox) back in the late 80's early 90's. Very nice country.

/ Tips for removal snow w/ front loader #3  
Lots of threads on this topic w/good ideas.

First off dress warm ;) rear ballast maybe set rear tire chains,curl bucket back just a tad so you don't dig in,but most of all keep the snow banks push back.

/ Tips for removal snow w/ front loader #4  
Looch and Thomas have given you very good advice.

Did you look at the rear mounted snow blowers? They are much much less expensive than the integral front mounted Kubota/RAD snow blowers offered by Kubota.

Having both a front end loader and a rear mount snow blower are a must in deep snow country.

Many of the members with rear mounts are able to sit side saddle and look back with out too much trouble while clearing snow.

Short of that purchasing a plow for the loader bucket is an option but I really would invest in a rear mount snow blower as you will be buried.

The plow will have depth gauge skis to keep from digging in and you can stack and push with it to some extent.

If you have R4 tires the best thing you can do is purchase the snow chains from Europe or log skidder/road grader chains
for your new mule and get the front and rear tires loaded with Windshield Washer Fluid after you have the chains mounted.

JUST UNDERSTAND that front loader buckets and the hoisting frames they are connected to are not ment for digging out frozen snow piles which you will have.

Its not too late to order a rear mount snow blower-perhaps the dealer will take the loader back on a trade towards a rear mount blower??? I would call them right away to avoid any delays as snow blower will be a much better way to handle this as you well know.

The othwer

Last edited:
   / Tips for removal snow w/ front loader
Thanks guys, will also check out other threads.

/ Tips for removal snow w/ front loader #6  
I started thinking about snow removal from the moment I began researching tractors. So I was very excited to play in the snow for the first time and clean my 400+ ft gravel driveway. By the time I put it away, I was so disappointed. Here are some of my observations: The first problem I anticipated was that it is real easy to scalp all your nice gravel off the driveway if it's not paved or frozen. With a lot of diligence and careful adjustments, this can be mostly avoided. The second issue was traction. With a TLB combo and loaded, new, deep-lug R4's, I had plenty of forward traction. What I quickly realized was lacking is lateral traction, particularly on the fronts. Trying to go across even the slightest slope left the tractor continually trying to nose downhill. I've thought about front chains, but I really don't think I have enough clearance to the steering linkages, and I haven't pursued wheel spacers. Finally, even with a moderate amount of snow (6"), the FEL fills up real fast. After that, the choices are to keep pushing until it makes windrows on both sides and starts rolling over the top, or turn and dump it (reference problem #2 above), back up, re-level the bucket (reference problem #1 above), drive forward till full again, and repeat. If you have a smaller area, pushing it may work well. The first pass isn't much of a problem, but after that it felt like I was in a never ending cycle of covering area I had already cleared. I have since left it parked during snow removal and gone to my 26" walk-behind snowblower. Tedious, yes. But when the snow is cleared, it's gone. I understand a rear snowblower is a lot cheaper than front mount, but I know my neck will hate it. So I keep dreaming about a front-mount. I don't doubt that a FEL can be helpful in snow removal; but with my situation, it was just too frustrating. Best of luck.

/ Tips for removal snow w/ front loader #7  
For me, The FEL is best matched with a back blade.

I use the blade to drag the snow to as close as a tractor's length from the deposition site, Then I back over the pile and use the FEL to stack the snow as I make the second pass.

Much too tedious, but get's the job done.

On smaller accumulations, The snow is just blown over the bank with the garden tractor.

I'm "this far" from ordering out the WoodMaxx 72" ;-)

eta

It's important to note there is much efficiency to be gained in "getting the air out of a fresh snow". The more you work the snow before moving it with the FEL, the more snow you will move per lift.

So keep that bucket on the ground as long as you can. A full bucket means nothing if it's not heavy.

/ Tips for removal snow w/ front loader #8  
My GC2610 has a 48"loader that I've used to clear my drive for several years and got annoyed with how long it took. I've fabricated a new bucket that is two feet wider and about six inches taller. It has cut my time by about a third. I have no problems with too heavy to scoop or push unless I leave a pile part way down the drive and then try to push it after it is compacted. If this happens, I need to hit it with some momentum. I don't worry about damage to my machine as I know there is nothing in the way. I made this a quick attach while I was at it and this works for me.

/ Tips for removal snow w/ front loader #9  
One thing I like about Kubota's heel-toe treadal is that when I'm using the rear-mounted blower I sit kind of side saddle - right arm over the back of the seat - and use my left foot to work the reverse pedal.

/ Tips for removal snow w/ front loader #10  
At the very least, add a light duty back blade to your arsenal. A fraction of the cost of a blower and if you get on it before there's 8" of snow, it's a lot faster than using the bucket.