Frame mounted plows? Some seem so far in front, Some , Close coupled??

/ Frame mounted plows? Some seem so far in front, Some , Close coupled?? #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
If one were to consider the options, what are the benefits of hanging the blade far out front?

I'm in the camp that "close coupled" is better.

Google search will show the variations.

Last edited:
   / Frame mounted plows? Some seem so far in front, Some , Close coupled?? #2  
Closer IS better as long as you get the lift height that you need. It keeps the turning radius shorter and puts less lever arm on the tractor sideways.

/ Frame mounted plows? Some seem so far in front, Some , Close coupled??
Closer IS better as long as you get the lift height that you need. It keeps the turning radius shorter and puts less lever arm on the tractor sideways.

I'm with you on those aspects. I could see a longer frame out front if plowing an open area. The ability to push up a pile would be handi. The visibility aspect is another point in favor of the long setting as well.

/ Frame mounted plows? Some seem so far in front, Some , Close coupled?? #4  
Mine's a long way out (converted Fisher pickup plow) and you have to be really careful backing up. I can pile snow really high, though. Worth it to me. Jim

/ Frame mounted plows? Some seem so far in front, Some , Close coupled?? #5  

As well as more steering "power". A blade that's 7'-8' (angled, at the tip) forward of your front axle will push the tractor sideways in a heavy snow.

/ Frame mounted plows? Some seem so far in front, Some , Close coupled?? #6  
As well as more steering "power". A blade that's 7'-8' (angled, at the tip) forward of your front axle will push the tractor sideways in a heavy snow.

It sure will even with v-bar tire chains on. :thumbsup:

/ Frame mounted plows? Some seem so far in front, Some , Close coupled?? #7  
Man you guys talking about snow plows and it is near 100F every day here. Sure glad I don't have to contend with that white stuff.

/ Frame mounted plows? Some seem so far in front, Some , Close coupled?? #8  
Sorry about your luck Gary, I'm sure happy I don't have to deal with that miserable heat.:laughing:
2 or 3 90* days (a year) here is 2 or 3 too many, much over 75* and I'm startin to get bitchy.