72" or 84" snowblower for Kioti DK5010?

/ 72" or 84" snowblower for Kioti DK5010? #1  

Z-Michigan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010HS
OK, I don't really want a snowblower, but I'm convinced that it's what I need. My area gets 200-240" of snow (very light, powdery snow) annually, starting around November 1 and continuing into April. I have a Kioti DK5010 tractor with 50 engine hp and 45 PTO hp, and a 3pt hitch rated to lift 2700lbs. (DK51 HST Utility Tractor | Kioti Tractors)

I am looking at buying a Woodmaxx snowblower, either 72" or 84", and want to know which one I should get. Based on their specifications the 84" is $100 more, 75lbs heavier, and otherwise the same. Both models say 25-65 pto hp required. It seems like my tractor could handle the 84" in terms of weight and PTO hp. Is there any reason I should get the 72" instead?

/ 72" or 84" snowblower for Kioti DK5010? #2  
Its a spaghetti question with many threads but:

A couple of things are more important right now. the major factor is the up front loss of power through the hydrostatic transmission of the mule so you will be limited to a snow thrower that will be 60 inches wide to perform properly.

A Reist Single stage snow thrower will be more than adequate for your needs and you will still have plenty of torque to use as you are not spinning a secondary impeller fan.

1. what type of tires are on your mule?

2. does your mule have loaded tires?

3. do you have a front end loader?

4. does your mule have snow and ice chains?

5. if you could would you purchase a snow thrower that is a single stage snow thrower that requires 20 percent less power allowing greater torque delivered to the snow thrower through the gear box to the chain drive to the snow blower rotor?

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgLN03ThGd4

would you purchase a snow thrower that can have its rotor speed changed easily by changing sprocket sizes to increase the discharge speed of the snow blower rotor by replacing the driven sprocket with a smaller driven sprocket?

7. if you could would you purchase a snow thrower which has fewer mechanical parts that are "common" available parts would you consider purchasing it?

A single stage snow thrower has fewer parts and weighs less.

The Reist single stage snow throwers can be used as a front mount or a rear mount unit with a few simple part changes.

Attachments

• Reist Rear Mount Series 3000 snow thrower.jpg
    Reist Rear Mount Series 3000 snow thrower.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 289
  • Reist series 2000 front mount.jpg
    Reist series 2000 front mount.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
   / 72" or 84" snowblower for Kioti DK5010? #3  
I can't imagine a blower mounted on the rear would be very comfortable. I picked up my 60" front mount specifically because I didn't want to back down my driveway, back down the road, back down other people's driveways. I can only imagine it would be incredibly uncomfortable for any extended period of time.

/ 72" or 84" snowblower for Kioti DK5010? #4  
The larger blower's weight may be an issue of steering in snow. Will the tractor be wearing a loader during the winter? If so, no problem. Light snow makes a huge difference compared to heavy drifting you can walk on or wet snow. It depends on how much blower you really need, storage area, weight, and area to be cleared. Would the extra width save you a considerable amount of passes? If not, smaller may be better. Just like with a mower...a wider deck mows quicker in a open space but may be more of a hindrance in a tight area.

/ 72" or 84" snowblower for Kioti DK5010? #5  
Width sort of depends on the needs of the areas you plan to clear.

Do you need "acres" blown clean in the least amount of time, or are there small and narrow places between buildings etc that need to be clear. In the open, a twelve foot wide lane is two passes with either blower.

Your tractor won't really care, you are in control of the travel speed.

Myself, manoeuvrability is the important aspect. 60 inches is fine.

It's always good to look at the options ,but leonz is over the top on his passion for the single stage blowers. I do wish they could be as price competitive as the WoodMax. But that is more a function of where and how they are made. ;-)

/ 72" or 84" snowblower for Kioti DK5010?
I have R1 ag tires with weights on the rear. Front end loader and bucket that will stay on all winter.

I have about 200' of driveway that will need to be done with every snowfall, plus a 30x30 parking area. Not tiny, but not huge. This will probably be 2-5 times each week for 3-4 months, and a little more before/after peak snow season.

I may also want to blow snow from the sides of two barns a few times a season, and possibly even around the perimeter of a fence, which would be a 1000-1400' run, but only 1-2 times per winter and not under time pressure.

The Reist single stage look interesting, but list price on a 72" is $6500 CAN, and there is no likely combination of discounts and exchange that will make that competitive with the Woodmaxx.

Please avoid any comments about "gee, that sounds unpleasant". I like winter, and I don't have an UNlimited budget to spend on the awesomest snow removal stuff.

Last edited:
   / 72" or 84" snowblower for Kioti DK5010? #7  
The United States Dollar is worth $1.25 Canadian dollars as of today

The US dollar price for this snow thrower is $5193.35 USD

The Province of Ontario, Canada sales tax is 8%.

The Canadian sales tax of 520 dollars is refunded to the buyer at the border crossing station
if they decide to reclaim the sales tax before crossing the border.

SO if you purchase the rear mount with a manual chute rotator and pay the sales tax at the dealer you will have paid $5193.35 after the currency exchange rate and after the cost of the sale tax is refunded to you at the border crossing.

So for a 6,500 Canadian dollar purchase you automatically save:

$520.00 dollars in Ontario sales tax and $1,306.65 Canadian dollars in implement price = $1826.65

-1,826.65 total savings
________
$4,673.35 in United States Dollars plus your cost of fuel if you make around trip to pick it up at a Riest Dealer in Ontario.
======

SO it may be worth your time to investigate it

I grew up using a 1967 IHC 12 horsepower cub cadet with a Kohler engine and a 48 inch front mount single stage snow blower that went through everything with just snow and ice chains. The PTO had a V belt drive that powered a right angle bevel gearbox that connected to a cross shaft that used two chain drive sprockets to spin the snow blower rotor.

The JDLA115 that I have now is nothing short of junk in the snow blower department with its cheap plastic spout(third one since I bought it and its marvelous $120 drive belts which I stopped buying from john deere and I have comparable Series 1 V belts from Gates to replace them at 1/6 the cost.

John Deere really blew it when they went to a vertical crank shaft engines for thier lawn mowers and buying the RAD 2 stage snow blowers.

/ 72" or 84" snowblower for Kioti DK5010?
Leonz, thanks for the detailed breakdown, and always thank you for your insights. While you obviously have strong and specific preferences, they are often things I wouldn't otherwise have been aware of.

I'm about 5 1/2 hours from the nearest border crossing and might see if there is a dealer there. Your breakdown implies that list price includes the 8% sales tax - is that how they do it?

Anyway - I will look into the Reist option, but what are your thoughts on the size if I went with a Woodmaxx?

/ 72" or 84" snowblower for Kioti DK5010? #9  
Z-Mich, maybe measure the width of your rear tires and verify that a 72" will at least cover your tread width. Unless your tread width is less than 70", perhaps go with the 7ft, I think you have enough HP to run it, especially in powder. (Think about what happens on a curve if the 6 ft just barely covers your tracks while going straight...)

/ 72" or 84" snowblower for Kioti DK5010? #10  
Curiously, I've never had a problem driving over (or through) the edges of the unblown snow. There have been times when I've needed to reverse my path straight back, and take a second pass to widen things up, But the second pass had to be made anyway. There was snow on it! ;-)