Snowblower auger chain question

/ Snowblower auger chain question #1  

oldafretired

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901, MX5800, U55
The auger chain on the Puma is pretty much painted over with red paint. I think it will all fall off if I run the PTO. Is this chain supposed to be lubed like a bicycle chain with chain lube?

/ Snowblower auger chain question #2  
The auger chain on the Puma is pretty much painted over with red paint. I think it will all fall off if I run the PTO. Is this chain supposed to be lubed like a bicycle chain with chain lube?

Don't even consider the paint as anything but over spray.

Open chains get coated regularly with "open chain lube" of which there are many. I like the waxy types. (I just lubed the chain on my motorbike about 15 minutes ago with "Chain Wax".

Bar and chain oil works fine in cold weather. Any oil is better than none. You can not over lube an open chain. Lube often! After every use, and every hour of use would be my preference.

Worn chains wear out sprockets!

But with that, I changed out the chain and sprockets on my 30 year old Bolens snow blower fitted to the HT23. They still worked, showed some wear however. I was doing a refurbishment on the unit, and said "it's about time". They would likely have lasted another ten years!. (And I never really lubed that chain all that well, It was worn and aged when I got the blower. ;-)

/ Snowblower auger chain question #3  
Hello Oldafretired,

Adding to what CalG has said,the cross auger rotates in one direction being forward toward the snow to draw it into the impeller housing.
The roller chain has to be tight on top and just a tiny bit loose on the bottom to allow the chain to expand and contract slightly as it operates
at one speed when the rear PTO is operating at the 540 RPM engine speed setting.

If the chain is loose-meaning the upper chain will travel more than 1/4 of an inch it needs to be tightened a little. Bar and chain oil is fine for lubing the roller chain.

No worries we are here to help.

/ Snowblower auger chain question
Thanks for the good info. I have a bunch of chain lube for my bicycle and have a bunch of lube for chains on my chainsaws so I guess I'll just use whichever is handy at the time. The paint on the chain is a bit more than overspray on this blower and actually peels off with a thickness similar to paper. It's almost like it was painted over for protection.

/ Snowblower auger chain question #5  
Check out motorcycle chain lube. It's usually a wax or Teflon material rather than oil or grease. Wax & Teflon will collect less dirt than grease & oil in addition to not getting flung off as easily.

Not a good idea to paint chains though.

/ Snowblower auger chain question #6  
The paint will wear off with time and use. Chain lube (I use spray chain lube) is your best friend.

/ Snowblower auger chain question
Thanks, I'll check out motorcycle chain lube.

/ Snowblower auger chain question #8  
Thanks, I'll check out motorcycle chain lube.

I wrote "Consider the paint as overspray", even if it is thicker, Paint is not good nor needed on roller chain EXCEPT to get the blower off the dealers lot without the prospective buy bitching about surface rust on the chain!

There is not much "dust" when blowing snow. that drive chain will be clean and shiny with the abrasive action of snow and ice crystals.

Most motor bike chain lube is formulated to be compatible with O-Ring chain. It can be expensive! in comparison with industrial open chain lubes or Bar and Chain oil. but hey, what ever floats.

/ Snowblower auger chain question #9  
Thanks for the good info. I have a bunch of chain lube for my bicycle and have a bunch of lube for chains on my chainsaws so I guess I'll just use whichever is handy at the time. The paint on the chain is a bit more than overspray on this blower and actually peels off with a thickness similar to paper. It's almost like it was painted over for protection.

Look at any 3PH rear snow blower out there and the chains are typically covered with a thick coat of the same paint used on the auger housing. I've seen blowers that were many years old and the chain is still painted.

I wouldn't worry about the paint, simply keep the chain lubed with a good quality chain lube.

As others have said, motorcycle lube is probably the best as it is designed to penetrate the rollers and then not fling off. If the lube is too thin it will just fling off and not do any good. Look for a chain lube that is designed for dirt bikes as it will typically resist water and really stick to the chain without flinging off.

The worst chain lube I ever used was John Deere chain and cable lube. That stuff was like water and just made a mess.

/ Snowblower auger chain question #10  
I soak my SB chain in the off season in bio bar and chain oil, let drip a couple days before reinstalling, and then lube every couple of uses with a spray on lube. If I were you I'd soak in paint stripper for a couple days and wire brush to remove as much paint as possible.