front plow and rear blade

/ front plow and rear blade #1  

chuck172

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SEH, Ford 4500TLB, Ford 8n
I like using both the front plow and rear blade for snow. Problem is the rear blade doesn't add enough ballast to counter the front plow. What's a good way to add weight to the rear? I do have loaded tires.

/ front plow and rear blade #2  
Are you using rear tire chains?

/ front plow and rear blade #3  
What is the purpose of using both at the same time? Is your rear blade off set to give you a wider path?
If you keep the front blade off the ground, it would add weight to the front drive wheels and then you could scrape with the rear. At least that is what I do.

/ front plow and rear blade
I have ag tires, don't really need chains. Just need to add some rear ballast.
Very convenient to use both the front and rear blades.

/ front plow and rear blade #5  
Wheel weights?

/ front plow and rear blade #6  
That is my set-up for winter plowing,8ft.front FEL mounted and 7ft.rear.I run R1(AG) tires that are loaded and no chains.My rear blade only weights 500lbs and by itself is not enough rear ballast(loaded tires make the difference).
You could fabricate a weight box on top of the rear blade.

/ front plow and rear blade #7  

I would say that tire ballast (filling the tires with liquid) would be the least costly and cleanest. How heavy is your rear blade? Always go to a heavier constructed rear blade, something in the 800lb + range, typically hydraulic actuated functions which sure make it nice for making those adjustments that should be made, but one often does not when you have to stop & get off the tractor.

Good luck with your decision. ;)

Sorry, passed over that you already have loaded tires.:ashamed: Heavier blade or wheel weights. I would go with the heavier blade.

Last edited:
   / front plow and rear blade #8  

Please explain the symptom. Why do you need more weight? Weight doesn’t typically equal traction on slick surfaces- maybe the weight is for some other purpose though?

/ front plow and rear blade #9  
Believe me, AG tires and added weight are a weak alternate to a good set of chains. If you are having side slipping - get a good set of AG chains for the rear tires.

/ front plow and rear blade #10  
Believe me, AG tires and added weight are a weak alternate to a good set of chains. If you are having side slipping - get a good set of AG chains for the rear tires.

I don't use/need chains myself and I have to "road" my tractor to do my plow route.I have never had a traction problem with my set-up.Ice is a different matter for sure and chains would be recommended.