Do Studs Damage Tires?

/ Do Studs Damage Tires? #1  

RidgeHiker

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010 with KL5510 Loader & 72" Bucket. Kawasaki Mule Pro MX SE with 66" snow plow.
Been looking at different types of studs for my AG tires. Some look liked they would grip more fully and less chance of getting ripped out which may not be the best thing for the tire.

Overall, though, do studs seem to damage or cause greater wear on the tires?

/ Do Studs Damage Tires? #2  
If you are looking at the removable screw in type of studs, they will do some cosmetic damage to the tire lugs.
One consideration is that if removing and reinstalling seasonally that you will not be able to reuse the same mounting locations,
so your studding pattern needs to be varied each season and not getting close to the edges of the lugs.

/ Do Studs Damage Tires? #3  
Properly installed I don't see them doing much damage. However - once installed, why would you want to remove them. Left in the tire they would not do any more damage to the tractor tire then the studded winter tires on your car. And probably a whole lot less - you certainly would not be putting the miles on your studded tractor tires that you would on your studded car tires.

Recognizing that studs will only provide any traction assistance in icy conditions. Little to no assistance in snow.

/ Do Studs Damage Tires? #4  
No increased wear to the tires, however like LouNY said, you'll need a different stud location next year.
Last year was my first use of them and I was very surprised how well they worked. I plow about 20 driveways in the winter and we had a lot of snow last year, 54" in just one week. I removed the front studs and small holes were left and quickly filled with small stones (or large sand :D) with no effect to the tire. I left the rear studs in and will leave them all in from here on out. Besides "roading" the tractor a lot, (my) normal tractor work will not wear them out.
DSCN8454.JPG

The shorter studs went in the fronts. iirc they were just over $1 each with the longer one's around $1.40. The number of studs you need do add up quickly, I think I spent over $300 but much better than wearing out expensive chains. From what I saw last year, I bet the studs are only about 25% short of full chains performance.

DSCN8456.JPG

I used a similar pattern on the rear's also.

This is one of my woods road, (not plowed) mid season. I kept the plow up about 10" with the blade in the "V" position and plowed any where I wanted to. I didn't measure but would estimate that there was a good 3' here.
DSCN8464.JPG

/ Do Studs Damage Tires?
Does it seem as if 3 studs per lug is necessary? Anyone tried 2?

Main concern is when surface becomes icy. Have lived in mountains many years and realize not much value in softer snow and tractor does OK in that condition with loaded tires, etc.

/ Do Studs Damage Tires? #6  
the number of grip studs I purchased allowed me to stagger my pattern to 2 in a lug, 3 in the next then back to 2. I had great results.. have used chains for many years.. but since I went to new cab tractor I didn't want to shake it to death with the chains.. switched to studs last year with very good results. and nice smooth ride.

/ Do Studs Damage Tires? #7  
the number of grip studs I purchased allowed me to stagger my pattern to 2 in a lug, 3 in the next then back to 2. I had great results.. have used chains for many years.. but since I went to new cab tractor I didn't want to shake it to death with the chains.. switched to studs last year with very good results. and nice smooth ride.

Durf, Any pictures? I was just looking at these Gripstuds yesterday before stumbling on this thread. Looking to install them on my XR4140HC