First storm 2017

/ First storm 2017 #1  

LouNY

Super Star Member
Tractor
Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility (traded in on Branson) NH 8160. Kioti CK2620SECH
Well had our first storm of the winter, about 3 - 4 inches. I really dislike the first storms as the driveways not froze and it's a royal pain.
I've heard of people that don't worry about the little storms and let them pack down, unfortunately that's not an option for me, the driveway
is a quarter of a mile uphill, steep uphill measured angle of 12 degrees = 21.26% slope which is most of the drive some 14 degrees which is about 25% slope,
so it has to be plowed for any storm. This has been a dry fall so there's not even much moisture in the driveway.
I used the back blade for most of it today, running it backwards at an angle it kind of squeegees quite a bit of the snow off that way. A few places used the front blade
at almost a half a mile per hour as even with the shoes all the way down the blade would dig in if I wasn't watching close and working with the curl to just try and skim the ground.
Branson chains.jpg I only have the rear chains on now
Branson an blade.jpg The front blade
View attachment first snow 2017 1.jpg pulling the back blade backwards to shove the snow over
View attachment first snow 2017 2.jpg looking up the first section, doesn't look to bad 12 degrees slope!!
View attachment first snow 2017 3.jpg looking up the second section, past the s turn part of this gets over 14 degrees, that's a 25% grade
View attachment first snow 2017 4.jpg and just looking back down the drive.
I sure do enjoy the cab tractor with 4wd after all this years of fighting it with 2wd's
Oliver chains 2.JPG
IH 574 chains.jpg
These ol girls did the job but it wasn't real comfortable or easy at times, hard to backup with just 2wd on these hills and the conventional chains on the Oliver couldn't stop
on the hill without using the bucket as a brake, the rears would just slid, made for some fun times.
View attachment plow truck 2017.jpg And then there's this old plow truck, it'll still plow but I mainly keep it for the 6 ft sander in the bed.

/ First storm 2017 #2  
Lou, thanks for sharing the pics. Very nice setup! Hard to beat a cab this time of year!

/ First storm 2017 #4  
4WD with chains should pretty much get you to where you want to go. Nice tractor. :thumbsup:

/ First storm 2017 #5  
I am sort of in the same boat, I have an uphill going out of my driveway.....I have a 4x4 but the wifes van doesn't, so its gotta be plowed regularly. Good excuse to hop on the tractors.IMG_0057.jpgIMG_0056.jpg

/ First storm 2017
Didn't get any snow from Jan 1st till now?

I suppose to be more correct in some respects I could have said first storm of the 2017-18 winter, cause the last storm of the winter of 2016-17 was quite a while ago.

/ First storm 2017 #8  
Driveway not frozen only means more spring time raking etc. :(

/ First storm 2017 #9  
Nice set-up Lou, beautiful machine:) Have you consider making a set-up platform that you could add a chain to the plow so it would "float" like your rear blade does.

/ First storm 2017 #10  
Here's my set-up.
KIMG0106.jpg