What size chains?

/ What size chains? #1  

LD48750

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1510 Mahindra 1526
Well, I tried again and the turf tires just don't get it in my snow.
Got them loaded over the summer & they still don't do it.

Little Ford 1510 4x4 pushing a 5' front (modified ATV) blade.
6' york rake on the 3pt.

I'v got chains on the front & that works but I want chains for the rear.
Have a bunch of car & truck chains that are illegal to use here in MI so I figured I would make my own set for the tractor.

Can anyone tell me the measurements for standard ladder chains to fit a 13.6x16 turf tire?

Last edited:
   / What size chains? #2  
Your tires should be 13.6x16. And any reputable retailer of tire chains will sell them based on tire size.

/ What size chains?
Your tires should be 13.6x16. And any reputable retailer of tire chains will sell them based on tire size.

I am fully aware that I can BUY them in the correct size, I want to make my own & need the measurements.
Length of side chains & length of cross chains.

But thanks for pointing out my mistake on the size of my tires, I corrected it.

/ What size chains? #4  
I am fully aware that I can BUY them in the correct size, I want to make my own & need the measurements.

Most places do not list the actual dimension of the chains. The best bet is to take the measurements directly off your tire. Just take a piece of rope, tape it to a spot on your sidewall where you want your chains to ride and carefully guide it around the tire. When you get back to the tape measure the length of the rope. This will be the length of the side chains. I would add several links for adjustment. Likewise make a mark on the inside and outside at the same spot used in the first step and lay a rope across it. Measure the rope. This will be the length of the cross chains.

/ What size chains? #5  
Take your cross chain pieces and looking at your tire lay the chain across it wrapping it around and snug to your tire going over halfway down over your sidewall, try and get cross chains around 3/4's of your sidewalls, once you have that length figured out just lay a rope around your sidewall and measure the length make your side chains 10 inches longer then you measured attach your cross chains, 2 link spacing will be best. Assemble one chain test fit it, adjust it, when it's right you have a pattern for the second one. If you do not have one a heavy duty chain tool will make the job much nicer. The longer your cross chains the less the chance of your chains twisting off, if they ride over halfway or close to 3/4's down the sidewall they will not twist off unless you break a side chain.

/ What size chains? #6  

But thanks for pointing out my mistake on the size of my tires, I corrected it.
A call or email to a sales rep for a chain retailer should get you that info. A spec sheet will give you the number of links in the crosschains.

/ What size chains? #7  
Pick a point on the sidewall where you want the runner to be, mark it.

Measure the width across to the other side of the tire at the same point. This gives you the diameter. Multiply by 3.14 to get the circumference, or the length of the runner. Add 2-4 inches for adjustment.

Now measure from that point up the sidewall to the tread, across the tread and back down to the same point on the other side. This will give you your ladder width.

For a small tire like you have, the optimal configuration will be one ladder per every two runner links. Count the number of runner links, subtract two and then divide by two and that's how many ladders you want.

Because this is all home-grown, you may need to make a few adjustments, but that should get you well on your way.

Or go to a place that has chains in stock for your tire size and measure them out.