New England - January 4th snowstorm

/ New England - January 4th snowstorm #11  
Crank up that new tractor, set the FEL bucket on the ground at the appropriate angle so it doesn't "dig in" and push your drive off. Justify that new tractor!!!! :)

I know, I’m just too chicken. This is the first time in my life I’ve ever had a nice paved driveway. I’d be really bummed if I took a chunk out of it. I just figured a blower or blade may be easier on it.

/ New England - January 4th snowstorm #12  
We got about 10" of powder from the same storm in my part of Virginia, and it's been windy as heck after the storm passed. On some parts of my property there are crazy high drifts. I may have to clear my driveway again tomorrow if the wind keeps up.

IMG_9409L.jpg

/ New England - January 4th snowstorm #13  
I know, I’m just too chicken. This is the first time in my life I’ve ever had a nice paved driveway. I’d be really bummed if I took a chunk out of it. I just figured a blower or blade may be easier on it.

You won’t hurt the paved drive unless you have a bunch of huge uneven cracks. Keep the leading edge up a little and go for it.

/ New England - January 4th snowstorm #14  
We have over 12" in SE NH. I just spent three hours with a Airens snowblower. I hate myself now not getting a snow removal attachment when I bought my Mahindra 2538 this summer. What do you guys think, should I get a blade for the FEL (I have a 3rd function valve) or a PTO snowblower? We just bought this house last summer as well and this 400' driveway just takes to long with a walk behind blower.

Cheers

QUICK !!! Order a set of "Edge Tamers" for your FEL bucket.
r2.manufacturing.com ....phone 1-240-230-7263.
$45 ea....you will need two. Made in Md., USA
You can bolt them on in 5 minutes, and they will save your driveway from any bucket edge damage.

/ New England - January 4th snowstorm #15  
We're getting this storm as well, started around lunchtime. About 8 or 10 inches of white stuff.

Now it's been ice pellets coming down, and possible rain overnight.

Could be interesting tomorrow with the blower trying to move all that heavy wet snow.

Back down to -19c tomorrow night.

Yes, it's going to be very interesting!

Snow blowing wet heavy mush (mashed potatoes) can be difficult. If you can keep vehicles off it for a while it helps.
Sometimes if it's mush it's better to leave it alone, because with rain/snow the weather is usually warming and it might melt, or it's turning cold and it will crystalize, at which point it's easier to snow blow.
The hard part is determining that magic hour when it's just right, your awake, the wind is manageable and you can catch it before it turns to a solid chunks of snow and/or ice.

/ New England - January 4th snowstorm #16  
We have over 12" in SE NH. I just spent three hours with a Airens snowblower. I hate myself now not getting a snow removal attachment when I bought my Mahindra 2538 this summer. What do you guys think, should I get a blade for the FEL (I have a 3rd function valve) or a PTO snowblower? We just bought this house last summer as well and this 400' driveway just takes to long with a walk behind blower.

Cheers

We had over 12" here also. I can feel your pain regarding snowblowing a long driveway with a walk behind blower. I have about
475 feet of gravel driveway plus another paved section (24'x40') that I cleared with an Ariens snow blower for years but I finally
decided to get a pto driven blower in 2013. I still use the Ariens blower for the paved section up by the house and garage, and
the rest of the driveway if there's less than 2 or 3 inches of new snow. Anything more than that and I use the pto driven blower
for the gravel part of the driveway.

/ New England - January 4th snowstorm #17  
We got over a foot here in my area(mass). The drifts are a killer. Taking a coffee break. Still cold and windy out there.

/ New England - January 4th snowstorm #18  
We luck out about 5" but the snow drifts were almost20" in some spots.
Next warm spell I'll be pushing back snow banks here and there.

/ New England - January 4th snowstorm #19  
Snow blowing wet heavy mush (mashed potatoes) can be difficult. If you can keep vehicles off it for a while it helps.
Sometimes if it's mush it's better to leave it alone, because with rain/snow the weather is usually warming and it might melt, or it's turning cold and it will crystalize, at which point it's easier to snow blow.
The hard part is determining that magic hour when it's just right, your awake, the wind is manageable and you can catch it before it turns to a solid chunks of snow and/or ice.
This is exactly where I'm at this morning! It is definite mush right now after the overnight rain. It is slowly getting colder now and has gone from 3c to 0c already.

I'm really hoping it tightens up a bit, I'm worried I'll clear it, and it's supposed to go down to -19c tonight and will make it a sheet of ice!

The driveway is all gravel with 1000' drive, and a big parking area. Might even have to try to scrape down to gravel with the FEL.

/ New England - January 4th snowstorm #20  
Here in SoMD we got ~4-5", but with the wind it was very hard to measure since it blew everywhere. I didn't even bother with plowing the drive. Most was nearly clear already.