Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #21  
It all started when Dad let me rest my hands on his old Snowbird 3 1/2 horse power snowblower, his hands over mine feeling the power and snow blasting out.
That was back in 1966, I still love snowblowing, has a certain tranquility to it.

I've ran a township road grader for 29 years. I still feel that tranquility when blading snow. The peacefulness just doesn't last as many hours before it becomes burdensome. Fortunately I've got a young neighbor that is an excellent operator and loves blading snow as I do. Difference is his endurance. :)

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #22  
I for one am looking forward to the usual January thaw and dreading the February freeze that always seemed to follow it most years.
But it will happen if it does and we'll get through it as we all ways have.

Last year we had a very easy February. No frost in the ground. Worked in the timber wearing a light sweatshirt. This year we are getting hammered by cold temps. We are also in a drought with minimal snowfall. Our weather is mostly coming from the Arctic and has very little moisture in it. It's snowing here today with temps in the teens. Doubt we get much more than a dusting.

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #23  
I suppose the concept of a "January thaw" is an old wives tale.

We got a couple of days of that, just to taunt us. Then back to the cold. Funny, in September 35° seems cold, in January, it's shorts weather!

Last edited:
   / Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #24  
Egon,

As you are aware, there is a thread dealing with this subject in Rural Living. If you read the posts here in a snow category, the reception is rather cold, no pun implied. Seeking cooperation from everyone to just let this specific thread quietly melt away, yea, exactly like frosty.

I like discussing this topic. Many don't. I am always amazed that those who do not like this topic, bother to read these posts. No explaining people!

Yesterday we had a day of rain, hard at times. Las night the temp never reached freezing. The driveway is a mass of slick ice. (A few weeks ago we also had a day of rain.)

We have lost a fair amount of snow. The snow banks are 1/2 the height.
What is interesting is that we had no flooding a few weeks ago with the rain and none with yesterday's rain. I think that the ground was not fully frozen - and the water was sinking in, rather than running on the surface. It will give us a drier spring.

Last edited:
   / Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #25  
I like discussing this topic. Many don't. I am always amazed that those who do not like this topic, bother to read these posts. No explaining people!

Yesterday we had a day of rain, hard at times. Las night the temp never reached freezing. The driveway is a mass of slick ice. (A few weeks ago we also had a day of rain.)

We have lost a fair amount of snow. The snow banks are 1/2 the height.
What is interesting is that we had no flooding a few weeks ago with the rain and none with yesterday's rain. I think that the ground was not fully frozen - and the water was sinking in, rather than running on the surface. It will give us a drier spring.

Thomas, how high are your snow banks now? Almost all of our snow melted today, and we are supposed to get freezing rain tomorrow.

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #26  
Thomas, how high are your snow banks now? Almost all of our snow melted today, and we are supposed to get freezing rain tomorrow.

Between 3-4' high around where I plow. I use a bucket so it is as high as 5' in places. We are due for 8-12" of snow tomorrow - so the banks will be up there again. When it gets hard to see over them in my pickup when I pull onto the road is when I know they are up there!

The road I live on is generally pretty good for banks- plows really throw the snow and they come along and knock the banks down before major storms.

Snowing now- light, and unexpected.

tomorrow's forecast

Captaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaure.PNG

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #27  
It is snowing now- tomorrow will be tractor time to clear the snow.
Yesterday I had this guy land just outside the window, on the shingle cover over the window box where where we feed the stray cats.

This a ruffed grouse (partridge}. Has been around the house.Ruffed Grouse 3.JPG

This is from the last storm - From the door 2a.JPG

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions
Tcreeley,
Do you believe a cab would be worthwhile in Maine?

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #29  
It is snowing now- tomorrow will be tractor time to clear the snow.
Yesterday I had this guy land just outside the window, on the shingle cover over the window box where where we feed the stray cats.

This a ruffed grouse (partridge}. Has been around the house....

The term partridge is a misnomer for Ruffed Grouse...They used to be very plentiful here but over the last 30 years or so wild turkeys have overtaken the habitat and available fodder...They make extremely good table fare IMO...it's all white meat...not dark at all like most other wild fowl...

Used to love to hear them drumming...

Ruffed Grouse also have one of the most perplexing natural cycles known to animal science...

Back to the current WX...the daffodils are up about 3 inches in the last week...crocus will be blooming any day...iris are not far behind...

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #30  
The term partridge is a misnomer for Ruffed Grouse...They used to be very plentiful here but over the last 30 years or so wild turkeys have overtaken the habitat and available fodder...They make extremely good table fare IMO...it's all white meat...not dark at all like most other wild fowl...

Used to love to hear them drumming...

Ruffed Grouse also have one of the most perplexing natural cycles known to animal science...

Back to the current WX...the daffodils are up about 3 inches in the last week...crocus will be blooming any day...iris are not far behind...
I miss that sound too. Used to be a lot of Sage grouse around, but their numbers have decline dramatically.